Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #1

Basic flash for K-50

I'm looking for advice on a basic flash. What would suit me at this time is an automatic bounce flash that would also be good to about 15' in non-bounce mode. I'm not looking to sink a huge amount of money here. Just something I can use indoors for family gatherings. Any thoughts?

02-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What's your budget? Up to $200? There have been used pentax AF 360 flashes for sale recently in the marketplace for less than $150
02-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TedW Quote
I'm looking for advice on a basic flash. What would suit me at this time is an automatic bounce flash that would also be good to about 15' in non-bounce mode. I'm not looking to sink a huge amount of money here. Just something I can use indoors for family gatherings. Any thoughts?
Define "automatic".

If you are wanting P-TTL, the entry point with bounce is at about $85 USD for basic functionality (Vivitar DF-293 or similar from Bower, Polaroid, and others). For a little more money there are units from Metz that can have their firmware updated. Sigma models for basic P-TTL start at about $135 USD.

A good resource is Matt's Definitive Pentax P-TTL Guide:

The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

If you don't need P-TTL, there are a number of moderately-priced generic Auto-Thyristor flashes that might meet your needs. With these the flash duration is managed through a sensor on the flash with the photographer being responsible for setting aperture and shutter speed on the camera. If you are willing to buy used, the Pentax AF 280T is a nice little unit with some dedicated functions that will work on your camera. KEH sells them for under $35 USD in Ex condition.* See the reviews:

PENTAX AF 280T reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Good luck!

Steve

* My AF 280T is currently in transit. My plan is to use it with my Super Program film camera and as backup for my Sigma on the dSLR.
02-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by TedW Quote
The Pentax AF360 is on sale for a reasonable price right now. It's a nice modern flash with full TTL support, just no swivel head (only tilt):
Pentax AF-360 FGZ P-TTL Shoe Mount Flash 30333 B&H Photo Video

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The AF-360 FGZ may indeed be your best bet for the price. It's a good flash. But you may also soon find you want Swivel as well as Tilt. This is why I sold mine and got a barely used AF-540 FGZ.

The Metz flashes also have a very good reputation. If I were buying again I'd seriously look at them. Just make sure the flash (and its firmware, I believe) work well on your K-50.
02-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Just make sure the flash (and its firmware, I believe) work well on your K-50.
That is supposed to be the advantage. Several of the low-end Metz units allow firmware update. That is unusual at that price point.

Steve
02-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
This has all been most helpful. Thanks!

03-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

For your first basic flash, I would not recommend the original Pentax 360. You want to bounce your flash whenever possible, and not being able to swivel the head on the 360 will be very limiting. I wound up using my 360 very infrequently because of that. I would definitely recommend an Auto-thyrister flash like a Nikon SB-28, or a Sunpak which can be picked up for very reasonable prices used. I have used both of them in auto mode with better results than P-TTL.