Photos: Gallery
Ballpark figure for the V6?

03-12-2014, 04:48 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Ballpark figure for the V6?
Can't say at the moment.

However, it is fair to assume that a Cactus V6 which is lot more capable than a Cactus V5, will also cost more. A pair of V5 sell for $59.95.
03-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The price for the RF60 will be US $139.95.
I think that's a very attractive price. I like the Lumopro flashes, but this is cheaper and has the remote triggering built in. And it integrates with my existing V5 triggers. Nice!
03-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I think that's a very attractive price. I like the Lumopro flashes, but this is cheaper and has the remote triggering built in. And it integrates with my existing V5 triggers. Nice!
I agree. I'm probably in for a pair to start, then maybe a single V6 when those become available.

Is there any word on street date yet?

03-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Is there any word on street date yet?
Do you mean the release date?

I guess end of March is realistic, but don't quote me on that.

When they find reasonable opportunities for improvement they tend to use them and shift the release date rather than sticking to an initial plan. Having said that, the release date should be really near, otherwise the beta testing phase would have continued.
03-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just noticed the official Cactus RF60 page went live.

Some more images and specifications to look at.
03-25-2014, 03:26 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sales have started

The RF60 just went on sale.

03-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool. It looks like the V6 triggers aren't for sale yet. I wonder when those will be ready.
03-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
It looks like the V6 triggers aren't for sale yet. I wonder when those will be ready.
Before the V6 will go on sale, the first reviews will be available.

Testing hasn't quite finished yet, but it is getting close to the end.
03-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update regarding the V6 sales date: Just noticed that the THE ROYAL PHOTOGRAPHIC SOCIETY JOURNAL printed "April" as a sales target for the V6.

I'm guessing it will be late April, though.
03-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #41

Photos: Albums
Class A, I read your review and enjoyed it quite a bit, thank you.

I have no flash system as of right now and I am wondering if you were in my shoes would you go with the Cactus RF60 system or the Godox system?

From what I've read the v6 triggers will be much nicer than f-16s triggers, miles ahead in technology AND usability. But the battery pack for the Godox is appealing... Im so confused!
03-31-2014, 01:10 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Cactus RF60 is now listed at Adorama.

They don't have any units stocked yet, but one can already order it.
03-31-2014, 01:34 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TRex1123 Quote
I have no flash system as of right now and I am wondering if you were in my shoes would you go with the Cactus RF60 system or the Godox system?
Tough question.

Are you going to use a flash on-camera often? If so, you could save money by using an RF60 as an on-camera flash that doubles as a master for more external flashes.

In any event, make sure you add up all prices for all gadgets you need (the basic Godox price does not even include a receiver). Note also that you won't be able to do the HSS emulation with the Godox since its “Cells II” trigger is currently only available for Canon.

As you wrote, the V6 will be much more convenient (and quicker) when adjusting power remotely and will have many more features compared to the very basic Godox triggers.

On the other hand, the Li-Ion battery of the Godox is very nice, of course. If you want quick recycling and very high battery longevity in a very compact package, the Godox is the right choice. Two things to bear in mind, though:
  1. The V850 recycles very quickly but it is not a heavy-duty flash. After 20 full power shots in quick succession, it will enter an overheat protection mode, slowing down recycling to 15s between shots. The RF60 also has an overheat protection mode, so it isn't a heavy-duty flash either, but the regular recycling times of the Godox should not make one think it can maintain this performance indefinitely.
  2. You can connect a power pack to the RF60 which will considerably speed up recycling and significantly increase battery change intervals. The downside is the added bulk. The Canon-compatible power pack takes eight AA batteries and has the respective weight and size. The Godox's Li-Ion battery is a lot more compact in comparison and doesn't require extra mounting.
It really isn't easy to make a decision between these systems. Depending on your priorities, either the Godox or the Cactus is better.

I personally would go for the Cactus system because I don't need the very fast recycling times and wouldn't mind the battery pack if I needed them after all or wanted more stamina. Having played with the V6, I wouldn't want to swap it against an FT-16.

P.S.: There is a way to get the best of both worlds (V6 functionality/handling + Godox battery power): The Godox V860C can be remote-controlled with a V6. Unfortunately, the V860C is said to be $50 more expensive than the V850, and you'd need two V6 (one on the camera and one for the V860C). As result, this combination becomes quite a bit more costly.

Last edited by Class A; 03-31-2014 at 01:59 PM.
03-31-2014, 01:57 PM   #44

Photos: Albums
I tend to agree with you. At first the Godox system seemed the way to go but I think for what I want to do the Cactus will be perfect. The Cactus also seems to be more "upgrade friendly." Thank you for your input and your great review.
04-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Thanks!

The Godox has a lot going for it, I agree. In particular, if you are after long battery life and short recycle times.
It isn't as strong on the triggering side, though.

If you have any (legacy) TTL flashes, you should definitely have a look at the upcoming V6 which in turn is the best trigger for the RF60.

Don't expect rock bottom Yongnuo pricing territory. But I'm sure it will be very attractively priced.

Gadget Infinity ship to anywhere in the world and their service is really good. You may be surprised.

Thanks! That once was a smilie. Fixed it now.

You are right. I pushed it up a bit now.

Thanks for the suggestions for improvement!
Adorama has them price at $139.95 on preorder free shipping. Gadget Infinity has them at that price also plus shipping.