Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #46
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The Cactus RF60 is now listed at Adorama.

They don't have any units stocked yet, but one can already order it.
Been watching for them - They are finally in stock, just ordered

04-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nkull Quote
They are finally in stock, just ordered
Cool, would be interesting to be hearing from you after you've had a chance to play.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.
04-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #48
Forum Member

Got the flash in yesterday, only had a few minutes to play with it so far but I was unable to get the HSS sync to work ... I set the flash in HSS mode but my camera would not allow me to go over the normal flash sync shutter speed and keep flash, also saw no HSS options in the camera menus / flash settings - Am I missing something? Is there something I have to do to enable this on the camera? I will try again this evening...

Otherwise, this flash seems solid and heavier than I was expecting, wow! ... Now the fun starts learning how to use the thing, looking forward to new possibilities.

Last edited by nkull; 04-16-2014 at 08:54 AM.
04-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #49

Photos: Gallery
Thank you. I bought this flashes based on your review. Works flawlessly with my Cactus V5s and hasn't skipped a beat.

04-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Got the flash in yesterday, only had a few minutes to play with it so far but I was unable to get the HSS sync to work ... I set the flash in HSS mode but my camera would not allow me to go over the normal flash sync shutter speed and keep flash,...
Have a look into the manual.

The RF60's HSS mode is only a HSS sympathy mode, i.e., for a Pentax camera, you'll need a P-TTL HSS-capable flash on camera in order to persuade the camera to use shutter speeds higher than 1/180 while still triggering the flash. The RF60 can then sync off the on-camera pre-flash (or the main flash).

Otherwise, this flash seems solid and heavier than I was expecting, wow! ... Now the fun starts learning how to use the thing, looking forward to new possibilities.
Glad you are happy with it so far.
04-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pedroboe Quote
I bought this flashes based on your review. Works flawlessly with my Cactus V5s and hasn't skipped a beat.
Great to hear.

I'd be happy to answer any questions, should they pop up.
04-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #52
Forum Member

Ugh, was hoping to avoid tge cost of a TTL flash :-/ ohh well.
04-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm, Pentax is known for not triggering the hotshoe over 1/180 sec, unless a P-TTL flash is detected.

I just realized that the availability of a smart third-party solution like this Cactus RF60 might actually drive Ricoh/Pentax further away from changing their existing behavior -- just so that you have to buy a P-TTL flash, no matter what.

04-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is the Aokatec solution if you want to investigate. Seems a bit hard involved but seems to work. There is a post somewhere on this.
04-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I just realized that the availability of a smart third-party solution like this Cactus RF60 might actually drive Ricoh/Pentax further away from changing their existing behavior -- just so that you have to buy a P-TTL flash, no matter what.
Companies like Yongnuo have reversed engineered the P-TTL equivalent protocols for Canon and Nikon cameras. As soon as one third-party manufacturer decides the Pentax market is big enough for them, we'll see radio triggers that emulate P-TTL flashes. Then we'll be able to achieve HSS and rear-curtain sync without having to buy P-TLL capable flashes.
04-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
There is the Aokatec solution if you want to investigate.
The Aokatec triggers also require an HSS-capable P-TTL flash connected to the camera.

There is simply no way to get a trigger signal once the shutter speed exceeds 1/180s from a recent Pentax DSLR without having a P-TTL flash connected. In the future, we may see triggers that mimic P-TLL flashes, but currently there is no HSS radio triggering solution that does not need at least one P-TTL flash to make the camera generate a trigger signal.
04-19-2014, 05:49 AM   #57

I'm really just starting with flash. I got interested in flash useage watching a youtube video a couple of months ago since that time I've watched hundreds of hours of video's some as many as 6 times. I'm particularly interested in environmental portraits, blending flash and ambient light with and without modifiers.

I also spend an inordinate amount of time on Neil Van Niekerk's site Tangents, picking up what I can there.

I was set to purchase the Godox 850 but I saw Class A's reference to the RF-60 from Cactus and while each has it's advantages I settled on the RF-60, I haven't ordered it yet.
I'm waiting for the V6 trigger to hit the market, one hoping they provide a deal if bought with the RF-60 but more important is the additional abilities of the V6 over the V5 trigger. Having neither I figured I'd wait for the V6 trigger before springing for the RF-60.

So I wait anxiously for the release of the trigger; Is there a date for release?

Weather is finally clearing where I can go outside and use some of the information and techniques with flash that I've been studying over the past few months.
04-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
I also spend an inordinate amount of time on Neil Van Niekerk's site Tangents, picking up what I can there.
That's a good site to spend some time on.

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
So I wait anxiously for the release of the trigger; Is there a date for release?
The ROYAL PHOTOGRAPHIC SOCIETY JOURNAL once printed a sales target for the Cactus V6 of "April". I reckon early May is realistic at this point.

Last edited by Class A; 04-19-2014 at 09:21 AM.
04-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #59

I am still curious for the functions of the new 6-type sender/receiver.

Currently I use a Cactus2s set with 3 receivers, pentax 540 & 360, Nikon SB24 und a old Metz 32something.

Will the new receiver be able to control the Pentax plashes with more functions?

My idea is 2 RF60, one new V6 controler for them and 2 V5 Receivers for the Pentax flashes.
04-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by klaus123 Quote
I am still curious for the functions of the new 6-type sender/receiver.
The first full V6 reviews will appear real soon now.

Currently I use a Cactus2s set with 3 receivers, pentax 540 & 360, Nikon SB24 und a old Metz 32something.
Does the "Metz 32 something" support TTL?

If so, there is a very good chance the V6 will be able to remote control its power.

Will the new receiver be able to control the Pentax flashes with more functions?
The V6 will be able to remote control the power levels of both your Pentax flashes and the Nikon SB-24.

My idea is 2 RF60, one new V6 controler for them and 2 V5 Receivers for the Pentax flashes.
Given that your Pentax flashes can have their power levels controlled by the V6, I'd probably get two V6 receivers for them (rather than V5). Having said that, the V5 is trigger compatible with the V6, so you can mix and match them, if you wanted to.

Note that with an on-camera RF60, you would be able to remote control the power of your Pentax flashes as well (once they are sitting on V6 receivers), but I agree that getting an extra V6 as an on-camera controller is a good idea.