Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baby007 Quote
Does that mean no manual HSS on Pentax?
Are you asking whether Pentax flashes allow manually engaging HSS?

I don't own any Pentax flashes and a quick search did not result in anything useful either.

Be nice if a Pentax flash owner could comment.

03-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'd suggest visiting Flash havoc, they make a good summary of the available options.
Yes, except that the V6 aren't included yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I personally decided on the new Godox (or Neewer) 850 and their triggers.
They are certainly very attractive.

You could run an RF60 with a battery pack to increase its stamina and reduce recycling times, but the Godox does it with less bulk and weight.

Where the RF60 / V6 have the edge is in usability.

The Godox has an external RF receiver which is a less compact solution than the built-in receiver of the RF60. For instance, you can slide an RF60 into its bag while the Godox won't fit with its external RF receiver attached.

More importantly, however, the V6 will allow much quicker control of multiple external flashes. It can deactivate individual ones (i.e., turn them off but bring them back with the previous power with a press of a button) and change the power of all flashes in tandem. Or adjust the power of a subgroup; all with a few button presses and turns of a dial.

The V6 can furthermore revive many existing flashes to also join the "remote control the power"-party, and has a number of more cool tricks up its sleeves.

I feel that of the flash models I compared, the Cactus RF60 and the Godox V850 are the strongest contenders. The choice mainly depends on what one prioritises.

There is always hope that Godox will add a better trigger solution to the V850, but for the time being, the Cactus V6 is a lot more interesting, AFAIC.

N.B., the Cactus V6 beta testing phase is nearing its end. First reviews should appear soon.
03-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #48
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Are you asking whether Pentax flashes allow manually engaging HSS?

I don't own any Pentax flashes and a quick search did not result in anything useful either.

Be nice if a Pentax flash owner could comment.
I mean for Pentax camera in general
I don't own a Pentax flash either. But I think with any brand, the flash still needs to be in auto mode (TTL) for HSS. I dont think HSS will work on full manual.
03-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #49
Pentaxian

But I think with any brand, the flash still needs to be in auto mode (TTL) for HSS. I dont think HSS will work on full manual.
That's certainly true for the vast majority of flashes, but it does not apply to the RF60.

The RF60 can fire HSS pulses in manual mode.

You set it to HSS mode (two button presses) and then its flash pulses are long enough to support shutter speeds beyond the sync speed, such as 1/8000s.

Since Pentax decided to not let the camera generate a flash trigger signal once the shutter speed is beyond the sync speed, you unfortunately need an HSS-capable flash connected to the camera (to use its flash pulse as a surrogate trigger signal). But any number of RF60 can "feed" on this signal.

03-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #50
Inactive Account

That's certainly true for the vast majority of flashes, but it does not apply to the RF60.

The RF60 can fire HSS pulses in manual mode.

You set it to HSS mode (two button presses) and then its flash pulses are long enough to support shutter speeds beyond the sync speed, such as 1/8000s.

Since Pentax decided to not let the camera generate a flash trigger signal once the shutter speed is beyond the sync speed, you unfortunately need an HSS-capable flash connected to the camera (to use its flash pulse as a surrogate trigger signal). But any number of RF60 can "feed" on this signal.
So a V6 in hotshoe and a HSS flash on top of it. Is that what you mean? I want to do some HSS twin flash macro shots. Do you think it is feasible? Can you go into a little bit detail of the setup.
By the way, which flash have you successfully tested in HSS with?
Thanks for your help
Cheers
03-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #51
Pentaxian

So a V6 in hotshoe and a HSS flash on top of it. Is that what you mean?
No, that doesn't work unfortunately despite the fact that the V6 supports TTL-pass through.
The problem is that Pentax disables the hot-shoe triggering for HSS.

So the only chance to get a usable trigger signal is optically.
Either RF60 or V6 can optically trigger from an HSS flash.

I want to do some HSS twin flash macro shots. Do you think it is feasible?
Certainly, as long as you have on P-TTL flash that can fire an HSS flash into the direction of the RF60 (or V6).

By the way, which flash have you successfully tested in HSS with?
Of the flashes available to me at the moment, only the RF60 can do off-camera HSS.

My Metz 58 AF-2 needs to be connected to the camera in order to produce an HSS pulse.
My Canon 540EZ does not support HSS.
03-06-2014, 05:50 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Godox has an external RF receiver which is a less compact solution than the built-in receiver of the RF60. For instance, you can slide an RF60 into its bag while the Godox won't fit with its external RF receiver attached.
True, but the difference in size is marginal, and the flash's case has a pocket to store the receiver. It takes one second to snap it on, requires no battery, provides a visual cue of the selected channel, and does not increase the height of the flash system since it's on the side.

More importantly, however, the V6 will allow much quicker control of multiple external flashes. It can deactivate individual ones (i.e., turn them off but bring them back with the previous power with a press of a button
There is no dedicated button for this on the V850, granted. It takes about 3 seconds to turn a flash off, though.

change the power of all flashes in tandem.
That it a very nice feature.

The V6 can furthermore revive many existing flashes to also join the "remote control the power"-party, and has a number of more cool tricks up its sleeves.
That is an extremely nice feature.

I feel that of the flash models I compared, the Cactus RF60 and the Godox V850 are the strongest contenders. The choice mainly depends on what one prioritises.
I agree. Basically it's a contest of features/controls vs price/recycle time/battery life.

There is always hope that Godox will add a better trigger solution to the V850, but for the time being, the Cactus V6 is a lot more interesting, AFAIC.
We disagree on this, but I understand where you're coming from.