Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by theraven871 Quote
Also, if there is ANY type of device or "commander" that I can use to control the flash output (Rather than having to walk up to each camera and adjust manually)
Not for any kind of reasonable budget, unfortunately...

EDIT: to answer your other question, all wireless triggers will work with almost every flash. If they're labled for other brands, check what contacts they have. You need nothing but the center x-sync contact for manual flash, so you can always cover up other contacts with tape. =)

03-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, but covering something up with tape sounds really sloppy.
I don't have OCD, but the thought of having to cover contacts up with tape make me cringe.

I would much rather spend the money on something that works.

So IS there some type of "commander" unit that is compatible with Pentax K-5?
03-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, but covering something up with tape sounds really sloppy.
I don't have OCD, but the thought of having to cover contacts up with tape make me cringe.

I would much rather spend the money on something that works.

So IS there some type of "commander" unit that is compatible with Pentax K-5?
Oh, I guess not, actually... I assumed there were ones that worked with Pentax, but apparently ithey only work that way for Nikon. Sorry =(

Never had any issues changing things by hand, as I usually move flashes when I change power.

My 285HV's only have one contact. As long as you're not buying dedicated TTL flashes, there may be other pins, but they won't be in use. The wireless devices are 'dumb' in that they transmit what goes over the pins. So if there is no pin signal from the body or flash, it won't cause any hard or do any weird things. If you avoid dedicated flashes, you won't have to tape anything, but it's worked for me in a pinch.
03-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian

If so, the Yongnuo system would definitely work. However, I wouldn't be able to adjust power output directly from the camera.
Exactly.

I'd highly recommend to get a system that allows you to make all (manual) adjustments from the camera position.

Have a look at my Cactus RF60 review.

The RF60 is a manual flash (no P-TTL) but supports power level and zoom setting control via radio communication. Of course it also supports triggering via radio and all that with a built-in receiver, i.e., you won't need extra batteries for the radio trigger receivers.

The RF60 should become available in a few weeks and price wise I'm expecting it to be more expensive than the Yongnuo YN560-III but a lot more affordable than original Pentax flashes, for instance.

You can use an RF60 on-camera as a controller for multiple external RF60 so that the on-camera unit is turned off completely.
Even better, you can use a small V6 radio trigger to control the power of all external units.

Even if the RF60 is not the right choice for you, I recommend having a look at the "Competition" section of my RF60 review. It discusses a number of alternatives that, AFAIC, are much better than choosing a Vivitar 285. In particular if you are working with three flashes, you'll much appreciate the ability of modern flashes to adjust power in 1/3 EV steps, as opposed to the old full stop jumps (with a gap added at 1/8 for good measure in the case of the Vivitar 285).

03-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Exactly.

I'd highly recommend to get a system that allows you to make all (manual) adjustments from the camera position.

Have a look at my Cactus RF60 review.

The RF60 is a manual flash (no P-TTL) but supports power level and zoom setting control via radio communication. Of course it also supports triggering via radio and all that with a built-in receiver, i.e., you won't need extra batteries for the radio trigger receivers.

The RF60 should become available in a few weeks and price wise I'm expecting it to be more expensive than the Yongnuo YN560-III but a lot more affordable than original Pentax flashes, for instance.

You can use an RF60 on-camera as a controller for multiple external RF60 so that the on-camera unit is turned off completely.
Even better, you can use a small V6 radio trigger to control the power of all external units.

Even if the RF60 is not the right choice for you, I recommend having a look at the "Competition" section of my RF60 review. It discusses a number of alternatives that, AFAIC, are much better than choosing a Vivitar 285. In particular if you are working with three flashes, you'll much appreciate the ability of modern flashes to adjust power in 1/3 EV steps, as opposed to the old full stop jumps (with a gap added at 1/8 for good measure in the case of the Vivitar 285).
This is exactly the product I was looking for.
Problem is, nobody seems to know when this will be released.
In fact, we may need to wait an entire year before I even have a chance to buy this!

I need something........well..........now.
I really don't want to get invested into something just to have to needlessly spend money again later.

Does anyone have an idea when these will be released?
03-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old flashes, one cord, and optical slaves. Old flashes will hold their resale value, and you can reuse your stands and light modifiers!

I had no idea this product was in the works. Depending on how expensive they are, it might've been worth it for product photo stuff...
03-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Does anyone have an idea when these will be released?
Historically, it Cactus operated with roughly a four week gap between the release of the beta tester reviews and the product being available for sale.

The price should be finalised very soon from now.

The Yongnuo YN560-III should get a matching trigger as well, but it looks like it is going to be available later than the RF60 / V6.

Some other alternatives available right now, e.g., the Godox V850. Not as attractive, AFAIC, but if you cannot wait...

03-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
Depending on how expensive they are, it might've been worth it for product photo stuff...
I recently used remote power control for product photography.

It made things so much easier and quicker; I felt like cheating.
03-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently used remote power control for product photography.

It made things so much easier and quicker; I felt like cheating.
Generally, once I get my background lighting set, I usually only adjust my main flash-- occasionally my fill. I group things together by size when possible, and it generally works well to keep fiddling down to minimum. I also use a remote, so when I walk back to the camera the shot's already on the review screen.
03-02-2014, 03:41 AM   #25
bmw

Photos: Albums
I'm looking to supplement my Pentax K-5 with an off camera flash system.
I would prefer this to be wireless/radio controlled.
These will be strictly used in the studio. I'm looking at building a 3 light setup.

Can anyone tell me what wireless systems are compatible with my camera?

Additionally, is there any type of "commander" available where I could control the flash output from the camera.
Flash TTL is not needed.

I'm really confused at all the wireless flashes and speedlites out there.
I'm hoping someone can make some recommendations.
You should check out the Neewer TT850 ...

... and its matching radio trigger/commander ...

Looks very slick. I'm planning to try one out as it's actually available now (since December apparently).

Last edited by bmw; 03-02-2014 at 03:43 AM. Reason: fix links
03-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Additionally, is there any type of "commander" available where I could control the flash output from the camera.
Flash TTL is not needed.
You can use Radiopopper JrX Studios w/ old Nikon SB28 flashes. You have 3 knobs on top of the trigger and the trigger works on anything w/ a center hotshoe pin. I've used it w/ Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Panasonic bodies w/o problems.
The nice thing about those old Nikon flashes is they're built well and inexpensive ($80 or so) and if you want, the SB80dx ones are even better but around $110-120. They're a lot better built than the fleabay yongnuo etc. stuff because they used to be $300 flashes in the old film days :-)

I've got a spare JrX set I'm selling if you're interested.
03-02-2014, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bmw Quote
You should check out the Neewer TT850 ...
That's a rebranded version of the Godox V850 that I compared the RF60 to.

Very interesting flash because of the Lithium-Ion approach (as opposed to the regular 4 x AA solution).

Unfortunately, the matching triggers are rather basic at the moment. See my discussion and also the FlashHavoc review of the V850. The Cactus V6 trigger will be a lot more powerful and versatile on top of being quicker to use.

You'll also have to watch the V850's price, once you added the external radio receivers.

I by no means want to talk the V850 down -- for some it will be the best choice -- but depending on how Cactus will price the RF60 and what other flashes you may have that the V6 may be able to remote control as well, it may not be straightforward which one to choose.
03-02-2014, 06:57 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
You can use Radiopopper JrX Studios w/ old Nikon SB28 flashes. You have 3 knobs on top of the trigger and the trigger works on anything w/ a center hotshoe pin.
Yes, the Radiopopper JrX allow remote power control with old analogue TTL flashes.

The disadvantage compared to the V6, for instance, is that the control is purely analogue, i.e., you turn a dial basically in a trial and error fashion.

On a V6, one can set power levels in full, 0.5, 1/3, or even 0.1 EV step increments.
In the "absolute power" approach, the V6 will translate an absolute specification, such as "11.3 EV", to the respective relative fraction that an individual flash needs, depending on the latter's guide number.
03-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #29
bmw

See my discussion and also the FlashHavoc review of the V850. The Cactus V6 trigger will be a lot more powerful and versatile on top of being quicker to use.
A very informative review, Class A. That's very good to know about the 850's weak group control.

I'm in a very similar position as the OP except I have some gear already and I want to upgrade. I'm planning to add two Westcott Apollo strip boxes to my modifier stock and really need some remote controllable lights, although I probably can still wait a while before pulling the trigger, so to speak. Another option -- although much spendier -- is to get Einsteins and the Paul C Buff radio controls.

Lots of food for thought there. Thank you!
03-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Another option -- although much spendier -- is to get Einsteins and the Paul C Buff radio controls.
Yeah, that's nice stuff.

I like the Cyber Commander. Unfortunately, it cannot be used to control speedlites as well.

I'm in a very similar position as the OP except I have some gear already and I want to upgrade.
What flashes do you have already?

You may be able to remote control their power with the Cactus V6. Minimum requirement is support for the old analogue TTL protocol or any new (Canon, Nikon, Pentax) digital TTL protocol.