Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow. Everything is much fancier these days...

I had no issues adjusting flashes manually, I had NO IDEA that this kind of tech existed South of a few g's for a full setup.

03-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #32
bmw

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Yeah, that's nice stuff.

I like the Cyber Commander. Unfortunately, it cannot be used to control speedlites as well.
I would be okay with just slave mode on any hotshoe flashes I included in lighting. I've been doing that more lately for things like rim, hair and background lights. Simpler is often best.

QuoteQuote:
What flashes do you have already?

You may be able to remote control their power with the Cactus V6. Minimum requirement is support for the old analogue TTL protocol or any new (Canon, Nikon, Pentax) digital TTL protocol.
Now that would be cool. I wasn't aware that the Cactus stuff could do that. I have two AF540FGZ's and a couple of Neewer TT560's. If the Cacti can power-control the 540's I could save myself a great deal of trouble. Once set to manual inside Westcott Apollos they are time-consuming to adjust. That's the main reason I'm considering the latest radio-controlled flashes.

Thanks once again! I'm off to read up on these Cactus radios.
03-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This Cactus product is going to give PocketWizard a run for their money. I already have PocketWizards and don't know how much the Cactus stuff will cost when available, but I might just have to upgrade.
I thought using a PocketWizard on my Mamiya C2 was cheating. Ability to set power level on multiple flashes from the master without spending $500 per flash is definitely cheating.
03-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bmw Quote
I would be okay with just slave mode on any hotshoe flashes I included in lighting. I've been doing that more lately for things like rim, hair and background lights. Simpler is often best.
I agree with "simpler is often best" but am not quite sure what you mean by "just slave mode".
What I'm suggesting is manual control of the speedlights, but instead of walking up to them in order to make power adjustments, it should be possible to do that using an on-camera flash in master mode or an on-camera radio trigger. Both RF60 and V6 are up to the job.

I have two AF540FGZ's and a couple of Neewer TT560's. If the Cacti can power-control the 540's I could save myself a great deal of trouble.
They can.

The AF540GZ is supported with a profile on the V6. Bear in mind that the communication happens via radio signals. No line of sight required.

The Neewer TT560 appears to be a fully manual flash with no TTL support whatsoever. If that is the case -- please correct me if I'm wrong -- then its power cannot be remote-controlled by the V6.

Once set to manual inside Westcott Apollos they are time-consuming to adjust.
Yes, some light modifier solutions allow good access to a speedlite but with most it is just a pain to always having to partially rip them apart to get to the speedlite.

03-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #35
Veteran Member

The disadvantage compared to the V6, for instance, is that the control is purely analogue, i.e., you turn a dial basically in a trial and error fashion.
The RP JrX are also faster to use...wedding photographers use them a lot because you don't really need 0.1 f/stop accuracy most of the time...I've never had an occasion where it really bothered me.

I like the Cyber Commander. Unfortunately, it cannot be used to control speedlites as well.
Actually, it can...I built an adapter for it so it works like the RP JrX (so I don't need the RP JrX as much). It is slower to control the power levels though, because you have to fiddle w/ the joystick, etc. but works well enough.
03-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #36
bmw

I agree with "simpler is often best" but am not quite sure what you mean by "just slave mode".
Context is missing now, but I was referring to the case where, say, I went with Paul C Buff Einsteins (instead of sticking with all hotshoe flashes). In that case an Einstein would be my main and maybe one for fill and I'd welcome full power control that the Cyber Commander gives. If I added a couple of hotshoe flashes for accent (eg hair, rim) I'd be content to set them into slave mode, fully manual. Those lights generally don't need frequent adjusting and even then it's easy to just quickly move the lightstand around (toward or away to increase/decrease light).

QuoteQuote:
The Neewer TT560 appears to be a fully manual flash with no TTL support whatsoever. If that is the case -- please correct me if I'm wrong -- then its power cannot be remote-controlled by the V6.
Quite correct. TT560's are as dumb as a bag of hammers. But super simple and solid (so far).

QuoteQuote:
Yes, some light modifier solutions allow good access to a speedlite but with most it is just a pain to always having to partially rip them apart to get to the speedlite.
That's about my only complaint with the Westcott Apollos. Otherwise they are really well paired with hotshoe flashes as they are extremely efficient and yield excellent light.

The new Westcott Rapid Box line solves the rip-it-open-to-adjust-light problem, but they cost twice as much -- not good.
03-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
The RP JrX are also faster to use...
Not trying to diss the RP JrX but I don't believe that.

As I wrote you can set the V6 to make jumps as large as one step for one click of the dial. You can change multiple lights at the same time, or just one at a time. While the analogue controls are direct, they also make it hard to hit a particular level consistently.

Actually, it can...I built an adapter for it so it works like the RP JrX (so I don't need the RP JrX as much).
Interesting. I take it your adapter contains quite a bit of electronics.

When I enquired at Paul C. Buff about using their receivers to control the power of speedlights, they told me that they are using a voltage-based system for their power control. This is not compatible with the time-based (quench-type) control that TTL speedlights need. It would be very interesting to hear more about your adapter.

03-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #38
Pentaxian

The new Westcott Rapid Box line solves the rip-it-open-to-adjust-light problem, but they cost twice as much -- not good.
Well, thanks to the fact that you can remote control the power of your AF540GZs even when they are inside your Westcott Apollos, as long as you add one V6 per flash, this need not bother you.
03-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #39
bmw

Well, thanks to the fact that you can remote control the power of your AF540GZs even when they are inside your Westcott Apollos, as long as you add one V6 per flash, this need not bother you.
Agreed! And I'm looking forward eagerly to hearing pricing and availability now.
03-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #40
Veteran Member

When I enquired at Paul C. Buff about using their receivers to control the power of speedlights, they told me that they are using a voltage-based system for their power control. This is not compatible with the time-based (quench-type) control that TTL speedlights need. It would be very interesting to hear more about your adapter.
It basically makes the the PCB receivers work like RP Jrx Receivers. I did post on their forum asking for guinea pigs but there wasn't much interest in it.

The Cactus V6 don't look bad from the previews. Looks like you still have to tie to their flashes? If they're tying into any of the TTL system, it might not work well w/ Pentax...the RF602's definitely didn't (they're what led me to the RP JrX).
I do like the old Nikon flashes though...just well-built workhorses.
03-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #41
Pentaxian

The Cactus V6 don't look bad from the previews. Looks like you still have to tie to their flashes?
No, the Cactus V6 will work with many other flashes, across all brands.

They have multi-brand contacts and thus can remote-control the power of many other flashes.

If they're tying into any of the TTL system, it might not work well w/ Pentax...
It works with Pentax.

I'm remote controlling the power of a Pentax dedicated Metz 58 AF-2 with a V6 in my tests.

I do like the old Nikon flashes though...just well-built workhorses.
Many of these will be supported by the V6.
03-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #42
Inactive Account

No, the Cactus V6 will work with many other flashes, across all brands.

They have multi-brand contacts and thus can remote-control the power of many other flashes.

It works with Pentax.

I'm remote controlling the power of a Pentax dedicated Metz 58 AF-2 with a V6 in my tests.

Many of these will be supported by the V6.
Do you know if the v6 will support hss on other flashes like yongnuo, sigma, goddox...
Edit: assuming the flash support HSS, of course

Last edited by baby007; 03-04-2014 at 05:36 PM.
03-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baby007 Quote
Do you know if the v6 will support hss on other flashes like yongnuo, sigma, goddox...
Only if the respective flash allows you to manually engage HSS.

The V6 won't be able to activate it, but if you can manually activate it, it will work.
03-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by theraven871 Quote
Can anyone tell me what wireless systems are compatible with my camera?
I'd suggest visiting Flash havoc, they make a good summary of the available options.

I personally decided on the new Godox (or Neewer) 850 and their triggers. Look them up at flash havoc, there is also a thread here on the forum.
03-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #45
Inactive Account

Only if the respective flash allows you to manually engage HSS.

The V6 won't be able to activate it, but if you can manually activate it, it will work.
Does that mean no manual HSS on Pentax?