Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Given manual flashes are not capable of switching at the rate required for HSS the cactus RF60 must operate in a similar fashion
Why would the fact that a flash uses manual controls make it incapable to "switch at the rate required for HSS"?

The Cactus RF60 has a special HSS mode in which pulses similar to P-TLL flashes in HSS mode. The RF60 HSS flash bursts are not just longish 1/1 blasts. The latter approach is better referred to as HyperSync. The RF60 can provide a long HSS burst for power levels lower than 1/1 as well.

Your solution to his issue cannot work , HSS is not available outside P-ttl
My solution works. Please read my posts in full.

The part you did not quote was:
There is an unfortunate catch, though because Pentax cameras disable any flash triggering once the shutter speed goes beyond the sync speed. Hence you need an HSS-capable flash on-camera (or connect to the camera via a cable) that you can use as a trigger. You can use either the RF60 directly or the upcoming V6 radio trigger to catch the optical signal and then fire the off-camera RF60.
You are of course correct that given Pentax's limitation, it is not possible to trigger anything beyond a shutter speed of 1/180 unless an HSS-capable P-TTL flash is connected to the camera.

However, my solution includes that aspect.

from what I understand from your 'review' hss ala cactus style relies on fiddling with pre-trigger delay and hoping the flash will contribute during main flash period.?
Not "fiddling" and not "hoping", but it is correct that one needs to adjust a delay value so that the RF60's HSS burst contributes to the exposure.

failing true M-sync, FP simulation methods for delivering high shutter speeds are and will remain a klutz of a solution.
It is inconvenient that one has to find the correct delay value first -- thanks to Pentax's limitation -- but once you obtained it, you can write it down and will never have to work it out again (for a given aperture). Note that the RF60's HSS burst is long enough to provide a bit of latitude, i.e., one delay value should work for a range of f-stops (I haven't tested this though).

04-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #17

Hi,

I am also considering the use of a single external flash at a beach shoot.
Would I be able to use HSS with a Pentax AF360 I or a Metz 52AF1 (or any other similar flash unit) and an extension cord?
My camera is a K-5II and I currently have no flash unit.

Cheers,
Ricardo

Last edited by Iberia; 04-27-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: rephrased
04-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Iberia Quote
Would I be able to use HSS with a Pentax AF360 I or a Metz 52AF1 (or any other similar flash unit) and an extension cord?
Sure you can.

Using a flash with an extension cord is just like using it on-camera.
04-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #19

That's good news.
And would I need the Hot Shoe Adapter F (as mentioned in the camera manual) or could I get away with a (generic) cord connected to the X-sync socket?
I have little experience with flashes.

Thanks,
Ricardo

04-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Iberia Quote
And would I need the Hot Shoe Adapter F (as mentioned in the camera manual) or could I get away with a (generic) cord connected to the X-sync socket?
I'm not familiar with the labels, but you need a fully featured P-TTL cable.

A generic cable that only connects the centre pins won't do.
04-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #21

Thanks, I'll look into it.
Up until now I have been using a cheap radio controlled trigger which works fine indoors but it does not support HSS:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/XCSOURCE-Channel-Wireless-Trigger-Receiver/dp/B009WKROPS

In any case I can always use it with a neutral density filter…

Cheers,
Ricardo
04-29-2014, 04:22 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Sure you can.

Using a flash with an extension cord is just like using it on-camera.
Then for the OP using the extension cord on one flash as the master and a second in wireless mode would meet his needs.

The other way, is to use an *istD which can use it's built in flash for wireless HSS control