Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Better Beamer and Pentax AF280T

I am interested in using a flash extender for bird photography with a 300mm or 400 mm lens. Looking at Better Beamer information, it seems to me that I would have problems fitting a Better Beamer to my AF280T strobe. If anyone has successfully fit a Better Beamer to an AF280T, I would be grateful for the Better Beamer model number and any information about any necessary modifications.
Of, if you have successfully used a different flash extender with an AF280T, I would be grateful for any specifics.
My strobe does not have the optional attachment for use with telephoto lenses. (I would be interested in buying one of those Pentax attachments if I received information that the Pentax product works well for bird photography with a 300 mm or 400 mm lens.)
Thanks very much.

03-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
I am interested in using a flash extender for bird photography with a 300mm or 400 mm lens. Looking at Better Beamer information, it seems to me that I would have problems fitting a Better Beamer to my AF280T strobe. If anyone has successfully fit a Better Beamer to an AF280T, I would be grateful for the Better Beamer model number and any information about any necessary modifications.
Of, if you have successfully used a different flash extender with an AF280T, I would be grateful for any specifics.
My strobe does not have the optional attachment for use with telephoto lenses. (I would be interested in buying one of those Pentax attachments if I received information that the Pentax product works well for bird photography with a 300 mm or 400 mm lens.)
Thanks very much.
Look here to figure the appropriate one to fit your flash Better Beamer fitting guide
03-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks very much, but ....

The information in the Better Beamer fitting guide suggests to me that the clearance of my strobe would inadequate. Thus I still would welcome:
• information from anyone who can tell me I am wrong because he or she successfully used a specific model of Better Beamer on an AF280T;
• suggestions of commercial or do-it-yourself flash extenders which should work with an AF280T for bird photography with a 300 mm or 400 mm lens;
• comments from people who have used the flash extender Pentax sold for use with the AF280T which could help me learn whether I should try to buy one of those for use with in bird photography.
Thanks very much!
03-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I built my own to fit my 280T. I also have a set of side supports for my new flash. I used plexiglass to make the side supports. I bent them to shape with a pair of pliers and a gas range burner. The fresnel is made from a large page sized reading fresnel, bought at an office store. The only thing else you need, is velcro tape.

04-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The AFT-1 is the Pentax telephoto adapter, I have it and would say if you need to project farther than it allows you need a more powerful flash. Distance would be more important than angle with those focal lengths. You can only concentrate and magnify a light source so much before the distance is just too much. Most of the LED flashlights out there are a perfect example of a magnified light source that is too weak for any real distance (some are better).
If I get the chance (and remember) I will wait till dark, put on the 320mm lens and snap a picture out the window to see what the real life range on the 280T is with it turned up to extra tasty crispy and the AFT-1 attached.
The books says the 280T with AFT1 is meant for 85-200mm with a range of 32 feet and you double the ISO/ASA to calculate exposure with it attached.

I also actually have the AFW-1 wide adapter, bought them together off ebay cheap. Nice thing about those is the marks on the back of the flash specifically for them in the calculator (W&T).

EDIT: The pictures weren't worth posting but for unedited correct exposure I would say the spec of 32 feet was a conservative safe estimate that allowed a good range of apertures. By adjusting the levels I can take what looks like a normally exposed picture at F8 ISO800 1/180th with no other light than the flash (totally black out) at what I am pretty sure is much longer ranges (50 or 60 feet I think guessing by the length of my truck).

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 04-01-2014 at 06:40 PM.
04-06-2014, 07:16 AM   #6
smf
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks vey much for these extremely helpful responses!