Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #1

Multi-flash mode on 540 fgzII

I'm doing a shoot this week on the little kids and their BMX bikes! I've got the new FGZII and look forward to using it in trailing sync mode which I've used before. But this new flash has a multi flash mode that is supposed to take many rapid shots during long shutter speeds. Imagine taking an image of multiple flashes during a jump on these little tykes! However the instruction book is very unclear on how to set this kind of shot up. You can control the duration of the flash, the Hz, and time. Can someone explain what the Hz and the time is? I would like a blast of flashes to occur during a 1 second shutter opening. How do I do this? Maybe some examples can be posted?

03-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cool, I have not seen or heard of that feature on the new 540FGZ-II before. Would be nice since the old models that did have it are hard to find.

Although I suspect the power output has to be pretty limited. I am doubting it would be of much use. Even at quarter power, getting maybe four shots isn't going to make that impressive of an image.

My guess is that the "Multi flash emission function" is some ambiguous terminology for functionality unrelated to the strobe effect you're hoping to get out if it. :-( Would love to hear from someone who got it working and can explain more.

Meanwhile... any comment on the recharge/recycle speed? Is it much better than 5-7 seconds? Or just slightly?

---------- Post added 03-16-14 at 06:57 PM ----------

he, he, not a lot of info to be found out there yet.
It looks like the multi-flash may in fact be strobe like you suspect. Wow, cool!

Wow, the manual is not the clearest I've seen.

"Multi Flash
1 Turn on the power switch (ON).
2 Press the flash mode button (MODE) to display Multi on the
LCD panel.
3 Blink the desired setting item from flash output, number of flashes, and flash frequency, by pressing the setting button (SET) repeatedly.
4 Rotate the adjustment dial to select number(s) and press the setting button (SET) to complete the setting. Then take a picture after confirming the Ready lamp is lit."

Blink the desired setting???? :-)
But Hz is the frequency and you can shoot between 1 and 200 flashes per second. I don't see a reference to time, other than the ability to set the number of flashes.

Last edited by amoringello; 03-16-2014 at 03:59 PM.
03-17-2014, 05:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Cool, I have not seen or heard of that feature on the new 540FGZ-II before. Would be nice since the old models that did have it are hard to find.

The AF500 could do it, I'm 99% sure the 540 v1 can too.

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
duration of the flash, the Hz, and time. Can someone explain what the Hz and the time is?

The Hz is the prequency, or if you will, the number of flashes per seconds. The time is probably the total duration of the series, say 1 second total. The duration of the flash is probably actually the power for each burst, say 1/64 power.