Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2014, 05:20 AM   #1

YONGNUO YN560 III as slave to K20D / Metz 58AF2

Hi All,

This is my first post! Exciting.

So, the situation is: I'm looking for a simple off-camera slave speedlight to assist with my real-estate photography. I have a K20D (will update it soon, but not just yet) with Metz 58AF2 in the hotshoe.

My internet research suggests that this setup will work fine - and that either the on-camera Metz 58AF2 or just the in-built pop-up flash alone will wirelessly trigger a slave YONGNUO YN560 III.

Can anyone verify that this setup works? Or are there any other suggestions for a cheap slave?

Cheers.

04-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It will work, but I'm not a fan of mixing P-TTL and manual flash. I have the original YN-560 and it triggers fine in S2 mode from the pop up flash, it would trigger from the Metz as well. Make sure the flash you are triggering it with is in normal mode, not any wireless or commander modes.
04-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K20DPete Quote
Can anyone verify that this setup works?
This will work but you'll be facing two issues:
  1. Your triggering will rely on optical communication. The latter does not always work well in bright sunlight and requires "line of sight", thus can exclude some creative options, such as putting a flash in a fridge to simulate the light shining out of it.
  2. You'll have to walk to your external flash every time you want to make an adjustment. There is no way you can control its power from the camera position with your proposed setup.
Have a look at my Cactus RF60 review in which I'm reporting about a flash that can triggered via radio and whose power can be controlled remotely (either with another RF60 or a (soon to be released) Cactus V6.

The Yongnuo YN560-III can also be triggered via radio and is said to be able to have its power to be remotely controlled as well, but the respective trigger has not been announced yet. It is a bit strange that it is taking so long for it to be released. In any event, I cannot imagine that it will be as powerful and versatile as a Cactus V6.

For instance, the Cactus V6 is able to remotely control the power of your Metz 58AF2 as well. You could thus use two flashes off-camera and control their power independently from an on-camera Cactus V6.
04-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Elliott snd Class A. Great advice.
It seems that it will work fine as a starting point and I can get a radio trigger in the future if needed. I've just purchased the flash on line for $85Aud.

04-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I've just purchased the flash on line for $85Aud.
Whoa, killer price!

BTW, you can trigger the Metz 58 AF-2 with the built-in flash as well as long as you don't need HSS, i.e., don't use a shutter speed faster than 1/180s.
04-11-2014, 05:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi All,

This is my first post! Exciting.

Or are there any other suggestions for a cheap slave?

Cheers.
Welcome

Cheap is always good. How about take the 58-2 off the body and use the in-built as Master and the 58-2 as slave.

cost - zero