Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2014, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Sugesstion flash trigger kits

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Good day,

Can you please tell me which flash trigger should I buy and why?

I don' t want the radio trigger to use cables, I want it wireless.

Used camera: Pentax K5

Thank you!

04-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like Cactus but there are many brands that work.
04-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I like Cactus but there are many brands that work.
Hello,

Could you present me a link to the model?

Thak you!
04-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I assume you're using a Pentax AF flash? I'm curious, which one(s)?

The built-in, optical wireless technology is cheap!

If you want to use TTL, only this kinda-weird extension of the optical system will do it: Amazon.com: Aokatec AK-TTL RX Wireless TTL flash trigger RX receiver for Nikon, Canon, Pentax & Sony: Camera & Photo

Consider this also, especially if you're thinking of full sized strobes in the future: Paul C. Buff - CyberSync

Pocket Wizard is almost the de-facto industry standard, and it's reliable, but it costs more and still doesn't provide TTL on Pentax (it has dedicated TTL solutions for Nikon and Canon only).

04-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hello,

I still don' t have a flash. Looking forward on buying a Pentax FGZ 540II and/ or a Metz 58 AF2. Single unit or a couple.
The reason for my intent on buying it, my last shooting came out a bit too dark, and could have used a IR triggered flash.
So I am `window shopping` for the near future.

Thanks for your answer and interest!

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 04-12-2014 at 03:43 PM.
04-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Think about whether you want studio strobes or not (of course they work well outdoors as well - including in daylight).

Flash units are much more portable, but not as powerful and not necessarily more economical in the end.
04-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Think about whether you want studio strobes or not (of course they work well outdoors as well - including in daylight).

Flash units are much more portable, but not as powerful and not necessarily more economical in the end.
Hello,

Bought myself two `Excella softboxes` , that apparently only go with Excella studio flashes. Thus, I would like to know if you could give me an opinion about this firm.

Thank you!

04-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
Hello,

Bought myself two `Excella softboxes` , that apparently only go with Excella studio flashes. Thus, I would like to know if you could give me an opinion about this firm.

Thank you!
I know nothing about these, but apparently they're good from what little I just read on the web.
04-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I agree with the recommendation for the Cactus V5, however if you have a bit of time, I'd wait until the Cactus V6 will be released (probably in early May).

The Cactus V6 can remotely control the power of many flashes, including the Pentax AF 540 FGZ and the Metz 58 AF-2.

Looking forward on buying a Pentax FGZ 540II and/ or a Metz 58 AF2.
Have a think, whether you really need P-TTL flashes.

Using flashes in manual mode gives you more control and consistency. Their main disadvantage, AFAIC, hitherto has been that you had to walk to each individual flash in order to change its power level. With a Cactus V6 trigger, you don't have to do that anymore, though. If you could live with a manual flash, have a look at the Cactus RF60 (has just been released).
04-13-2014, 02:35 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hello to everybody!
Thank you for the answers!

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I agree with the recommendation for the Cactus V5, however if you have a bit of time, I'd wait until the Cactus V6 will be released (probably in early May).

The Cactus V6 can remotely control the power of many flashes, including the Pentax AF 540 FGZ and the Metz 58 AF-2.

Have a think, whether you really need P-TTL flashes.

Using flashes in manual mode gives you more control and consistency. Their main disadvantage, AFAIC, hitherto has been that you had to walk to each individual flash in order to change its power level. With a Cactus V6 trigger, you don't have to do that anymore, though. If you could live with a manual flash, have a look at the Cactus RF60 (has just been released).
I' ve looked for this model, and I must say I `caught my ears with it` . Mostly I don' t understand what it does, how it does it. Better research it more.

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims:

I believe they are more powerful, but the energy in transporting them around, plus I believe I need a generator for their power supply, equals they would be great for me, mostly indoors. Wanting to build a mini- studio, but as everyone at the beginning, I want it the best quality/ buck.

All the best!
04-13-2014, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #11
bmw

I understand that your original question was regarding which flash trigger to get, but in reading the thread so far and also taking a look at your recent "Break is over" shoot, I have a few observations.

It would appear to me that you are perhaps approaching the gear question in reverse order. Starting from a problem that requires a solution first would be best. Eg: you could state "I want to add fill light when shooting in the full sun". Both of your recent portraiture and fashion shoots were shot in full harsh sun.

Now if I was wanting to improve the light there I would first try a simple white reflector, either on a lightstand or handheld by an assistant. Cheap, portable, gives good light. You could use white foamcore, or a 5-in-1 folding reflector.

If I needed to refine that I could go for a strobe in a softbox. That would require a battery pack for the strobe, but you could get away with 300-600 watt-seconds of power. A good example of that is the Paul C Buff Einstein. 640 W-S so plenty of power. Use it with the Vagabond battery pack and their Cybersync triggers. Unfortunately you may have trouble getting this gear in Romania, so you'd have to dig around to find similar equipment from an available vendor. The key things are: good power and available battery pack. You don't need a generator.

If I wanted to do the same thing with flashes instead, then this is what you must consider. A single flash will not suffice in full sun. Period. Unless you crank the flash to full power and use it bare (no softbox) at inches away from the subject. (That does work for flowers.) So what you can do is buy a number of flashes and gang them up in an efficient softbox.

The key thing with hotshoe flashes is they are weak as compared to studio strobes -- about 80 watt-seconds or less -- and you must not waste any of their power by shooting through extra light-stealing baffles. Softboxes suitable for flashes typically use silver reflective interiors and a single front baffle, and only lose two thirds of a stop of light (as compared to direct bare flash over the same distance). I'm very pleased with the Westcott Apollo series (square, strip and octagonal) and own four of them. I also own a couple of eBay cheap knockoffs and they are actually pretty good too, although not as well built. Light loss is minimized and I use them all in outdoor location shooting.

So, to do the full sun fill light trick with flashes, you would need at least four of them, a multi-way flash umbrella bracket, a Westcott Apollo or equivalent softbox, and a radio trigger. You can remote trigger just one of the flashes and then set the others on slave so they all fire together. Note that I'm assuming fully manual flash here. If you want to also do P-TTL with this ... good luck. ;-)

Here's another way to improve your light, but with less gear. Seek out some open shade. Instead of shooting out in the full sun, find a covered area, like a gazebo or an awning. Here's an example from a fashion shoot I did outdoors, mid-summer, full sun, but model under a gazebo roof.

I used a single Pentax AF540FGZ, on half-power, in a Westcott Apollo Medium (28 inch) softbox on a stand. It was about six feet from the model, to camera right. I radio triggered it with the cheapest possible Cowboy Studios eBay triggers: NPT-04. If you have the budget and want more control and reliability, go for the Cactus triggers or Pocket Wizards. I'm happy with the cheapies because we're only talking about a single manual flash and I use a flash meter.

I also gelled the flash with a straw coloured filter so that the background would go slightly blue when I colour corrected for the skin tones (about 4200K degrees).

Here's a shot taken 180 degrees in the other direction, same shoot. There's less blow-out in the background because I'm shooting into a stand of big trees. That makes for a better looking shot I think.

I'll recommend a book for you: Direction & Quality of Light: Your Key to Better Portrait Photography Anywhere by Neil van Niekerk. He discusses all this stuff. The book is not expensive and is on Amazon.

Best of luck!

Last edited by bmw; 04-13-2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Minor factual error.
04-15-2014, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Great advice bmw. Its good to offer options and an alternative way of thinking.
04-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good day,

I don' t want the radio trigger to use cables, I want it wireless.

Used camera: Pentax K5

Thank you!
ishoot radio trigger. Cheap and work fine no facility to control individual lights best starting kit going, there is no point in spending more unless you ar seriously going to get in to multi head flash photography and want to turn individual light off with out walking to them,
Unfortunately pentax flash is not supported by the big names so all the fancy cactus features for turning flash power down will not work, whatever brand you buy the connections are the same as canon if asked.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/iShoot-PT-04-Wireless-Radio-Remote-Studio-Light-Flas...-/181380232053
04-16-2014, 03:56 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
there is no point in spending more unless you ar seriously going to get in to multi head flash photography and want to turn individual light off with out walking to them
True, but there is also a point in acknowledging that as one grows regarding the use of artificial light, using multiple light sources becomes the norm.

It would therefore be cheaper to buy something now that allows one to grow, rather than being forced to replace equipment multiple times.

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Unfortunately pentax flash is not supported by the big names so all the fancy cactus features for turning flash power down will not work
Pardon?

The multi hot-shoe of the Cactus V6 supports Canon, Nikon and Pentax.

I have been using the Cactus V6 with my Pentax cameras and many flashes from different brands. Works just fine.
04-16-2014, 04:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ok sorry,

Unfortunately pentax flash is not supported (with the exception of the newish v6 catus triggers which are very expensive for what they are) by the big names so all the fancy cactus features for turning flash power down will not work, whatever brand you buy the connections are the same as canon if asked

---------- Post added 04-16-2014 at 12:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
True, but there is also a point in acknowledging that as one grows regarding the use of artificial light, using multiple light sources becomes the norm.

It would therefore be cheaper to buy something now that allows one to grow, rather than being forced to replace equipment multiple times.
true but then you would most likely stop using underpowered little hot shoe flash units on or off the camera and start using studio lights and for that the ishoot kit would be more than adequate for years.

if you want zone control than look at Aputure Trigmaster Plus: Cameras & Photography | eBay again far cheaper than cactus

Last edited by adwb; 04-16-2014 at 04:47 AM.