04-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Cactus V6 Radio Trigger has Arrived

Name:  V6-package.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  122.8 KB

The Cactus V6 has arrived.

A full review will follow very shortly.

EDIT: I've made the first draft of the review available for comment.

If you have a Pentax FGZ flash or any old film-style TTL flash, the V6 may be of high interest to you.

Last edited by Class A; 04-24-2014 at 06:46 PM.
04-23-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice. Do u think it will work with my old Nissin 280FX? lampu flash Nissin Electronic Flash 280FX | Kaskus - The Largest Indonesian Community
04-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking forward to reading more about this much needed (for Pentax) product.
04-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
Do u think it will work with my old Nissin 280FX?
It is rather likely that you'll be able to trigger the flash but in terms of remote power control this particular model may not fulfill the requirement of at least two manual levels.

04-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Looking forward to reading more about this much needed (for Pentax) product.
I agree that Canon/Nikon shooters had other alternatives already (not with the same level of brand independence, though), but for Pentaxians, this is rather significant.
04-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
@ClassA. The Cactus V6 has arrived.A full review will follow very shortly.
Look forward to that, especially anything about Pentax af280t compatibility..
04-24-2014, 04:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
It looks like the Pentax AF280T natively only supports manual levels 1/1 and 1/12.

However, the Cactus V6 needs two natively supported manual levels below 1/1 for flash profiling purposes.

It looks like from the old Pentax range only the AF400T and the AF200T fulfil the requirements regarding manual levels.

P.S.: Almost done with the review.

Last edited by Class A; 04-24-2014 at 04:28 AM.
04-24-2014, 06:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Looking forward to the review. I hope that maybe you can describe the theory behind the flash profiling and the need for two or more manual fractional power levels. You've got me curious about the concept, but I can wait for the review -- no need to expend your efforts multiple times.
04-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I hope that maybe you can describe the theory behind the flash profiling and the need for two or more manual fractional power levels.
I have just made the first draft of the review available for comment but I'm not sure whether it is answering your question in sufficient detail.

The Cactus V6 uses the so-called "quench"-pin of legacy TTL flashes to control their power output. The earlier the V6 "quenches" the flash, the lower the output. Quench times differ from flash model to flash model so if the model is unknown to the V6, it has to work out the correct quench times. It does it by measuring the output of reference levels (as many manual levels as your flash model can provide) and will then work out the quench times to reproduce these reference levels (and a lot more inbetween to enable finer-grained adjustments).

Two reference levels are the minimum required in order to work out the shape of the whole quench curve in order to support power level control from 1/128 up to 1/1.

I hope this answers your question.

P.S.: I didn't go into such technical explanations in the review because as a user you just need to follow some straightforward instruction displayed on the V6's LCD screen and the rest happens automatically.
04-25-2014, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It looks like the Pentax AF280T natively only supports manual levels 1/1 and 1/12.

However, the Cactus V6 needs two natively supported manual levels below 1/1 for flash profiling purposes.

It looks like from the old Pentax range only the AF400T and the AF200T fulfil the requirements regarding manual levels.

P.S.: Almost done with the review.
And another flash that was newer than those in that list would be the AF 500FTZ. Electronic Flash Chart
04-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I have just made the first draft of the review available for comment but I'm not sure whether it is answering your question in sufficient detail.

The Cactus V6 uses the so-called "quench"-pin of legacy TTL flashes to control their power output. The earlier the V6 "quenches" the flash, the lower the output. Quench times differ from flash model to flash model so if the model is unknown to the V6, it has to work out the correct quench times. It does it by measuring the output of reference levels (as many manual levels as your flash model can provide) and will then work out the quench times to reproduce these reference levels (and a lot more inbetween to enable finer-grained adjustments).

Two reference levels are the minimum required in order to work out the shape of the whole quench curve in order to support power level control from 1/128 up to 1/1.

I hope this answers your question.

P.S.: I didn't go into such technical explanations in the review because as a user you just need to follow some straightforward instruction displayed on the V6's LCD screen and the rest happens automatically.
Yes, you answered my question here, and the detailed review you posted is fantastic. It would still seem to me that the flash should somehow be able to learn the profile only by quenching at various intervals, but then again I'm sure this is not that simple. I need not second guess the developers.
04-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
And another flash that was newer than those in that list would be the AF 500FTZ. Electronic Flash Chart
Thanks, that one should work as well.

It would be cool if people who get the V6 and have such flashes could confirm that they are actually compatible with the V6. As I wrote in the review, there is a good chance they will, but before anyone has tried it, it is not possible to say for sure.
04-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, you answered my question here, and the detailed review you posted is fantastic.
Thanks a lot!

It was a lot of work. I enjoyed sharing my enthusiasm for the V6, but it still was a lot of work so it is very nice to get some positive feedback.

It would still seem to me that the flash should somehow be able to learn the profile only by quenching at various intervals, but then again I'm sure this is not that simple.
It is indeed not simple.

EDIT: I thought about this some more and the reason is probably that the V6 sensor would have to function in an absolute manner rather than in a relative manner as it does right now.

Last edited by Class A; 04-28-2014 at 02:14 AM.
05-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Meanwhile, I've come across a solution which involves ND filters.

If you have ND filters of strength 1-stop and 2-stops, for instance, you could simulate the manual power levels "1/2" and "1/4" by letting the fire flash at 1/1 power but holding the respective filters in front of the V6's sensor.

The next question is whether the flash will recycle quickly enough because the V6 allows increasingly less time for lower power levels in order to cut down on the whole profiling time...
05-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I was thinking the same thing, but then I thought that during the learning mode, the sensor on the V6 was monitoring flash duration time, rather than intensity. Look forward to hearing your results.

I guess if that does work you could get similar results using black gaffer tape over 50% of the flash head. Kinda kludgy and maybe that would get too hot.