Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2015, 09:28 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neewer TT660 II

I'm thinking about getting the Neewer TT660 ll. Has anyone tried it with the V6? Would it be possible to use the Profile setup to get it to work?

06-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I'm thinking about getting the Neewer TT660 ll. Has anyone tried it with the V6? Would it be possible to use the Profile setup to get it to work?
The Neewer TT660 II is a manual flash, i.e., it does not support TTL.

Hence, it won't be possible to remote control its power with a Cactus V6.
06-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The Neewer TT660 II is a manual flash, i.e., it does not support TTL.

Hence, it won't be possible to remote control its power with a Cactus V6.
So the Cactus can trigger it, but not control the power level?
06-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #169
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So the Cactus can trigger it, but not control the power level?
Yes, that's correct.

06-22-2015, 08:17 AM   #170
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Cactus Store Opens with Discounts

Just read on LightingRumours that Cactus have opened their own store that offers Cactus gear plus other gear that works well with it, such as stands, modifiers, and flash accessories.

If you go to the respective LightingRumours page, you'll find discount codes for up to 5% savings.

Last edited by Class A; 06-22-2015 at 09:44 AM.
06-23-2015, 05:49 AM   #171
Pentaxian

Just read on LightingRumours that Cactus have opened their own store that offers Cactus gear plus other gear that works well with it, such as stands, modifiers, and flash accessories.
Their current prices are essentially the same as those listed by B&H and Adorama. if I understand correctly, Cactus ships from Hong Kong; in any case their shipping for a single transceiver was $5, while the NYC-based companies offer free shipping.

If you go to the respective LightingRumours page, you'll find discount codes for up to 5% savings.
You have to spend at least $300 to benefit from these discounts.
06-23-2015, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not everyone lives in the US.

06-23-2015, 11:56 AM   #173
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Their current prices are essentially the same as those listed by B&H and Adorama.
Sure, unless you use one of the promotional codes, or probably much better, go for one of their kits.

The kit discounts (kit price compared to sum of component prices) seem much more interesting than the code discounts.

It is true, though, that all these discounts require some extended purchases.
07-06-2015, 02:55 AM   #174
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Class A : that's a great great review ! thanks for sharing with us ^^

Has anyone tested the V6 with a Starblitz TTL flash (or minolta TTL flash) ? I got this Starblitz which support TTL and Manual.
I only see the ISO slider, I suppose the ISO slider changes flash power @_@

07-06-2015, 05:52 AM   #175
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
Class A : that's a great great review ! thanks for sharing with us ^^
Glad you found it useful.

Has anyone tested the V6 with a Starblitz TTL flash (or minolta TTL flash) ? I got this Starblitz which support TTL and Manual.
If it has a Minolta hot-shoe then it won't work with the V6. The latter supports a wide range of hot-shoe systems, but Minolta isn't one of them.

The flash would also have to support at least two manual levels.

I only see the ISO slider, I suppose the ISO slider changes flash power @_@
Typically an ISO slider just provides a manual calculator tool for predicting the range (in meters or feet), also depending on the aperture.

You can easily try to see whether it influences the manual flash power by selecting the lowest and the highest settings respectively and check whether it makes a difference to the flash power.
07-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #176
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Stands and brackets would be interesting, because I find the tripod mounting socket on the Cactus 5 and 6 to be unusable with many tripods. The flash shoe foot gets in the way.
07-08-2015, 01:23 AM   #177
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Typically an ISO slider just provides a manual calculator tool for predicting the range (in meters or feet), also depending on the aperture. You can easily try to see whether it influences the manual flash power by selecting the lowest and the highest settings respectively and check whether it makes a difference to the flash power.
thanks for your reply, after some test I think it's only used for calculate the range @_@
07-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #178
Veteran Member

How to control the fifth group?

The V6 is supposed to allow you to manually control the power level of an on-camera flash, as a "fifth group". This is with the flash on the V6, and the V6 on the camera hotshoe.

Does anyone know how to do this? There are only 4 buttons, A thorough D. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

The rationale for doing this would be to make use of the awesome dial on the V6, instead of poking around the buttons on the back of the flash itself. Same control interface as you would have for a remote flash unit, but on top of the camera.
Cactus V6 Review - Further Special Features | PentaxForums.com Reviews
07-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #179
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
The V6 is supposed to allow you to manually control the power level of an on-camera flash, as a "fifth group". This is with the flash on the V6, and the V6 on the camera hotshoe.

Does anyone know how to do this?
Press the menu button and simultaneously turn the dial to adjust the power of the on-camera flash.

You must not have TTL pass-through activated for this to work.

P.S.: Page 41 of the manual describes all the above.

Last edited by Class A; 07-12-2015 at 10:06 AM.
07-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #180
Veteran Member

Thanks Class A, that does the trick! I knew the part about not being in TTL pass-through, but couldn't find that last little detail about holding down the menu button when turning the dial.

This is a useful feature that might have been worthy of having it's own section or subsection in the manual, rather than being buried in a section describing Remote Power Control. Anyhow, no harm, no foul.

Along the same subject, when in this mode (on-camera manual mode, but not in pass-through mode), are all the pins at the bottom of the V6, besides the main trigger pin, ignored (electrically muted)? In other words, are the extra pins at the bottom of the V6 only used/useful in the case of pass-through TTL? Just wanted to make sure everything is isolated, meaning I could mount a Canon flash on my Pentax, or my Pentax flash on my Panasonic, without the extra pins causing any trouble through the V6. The Wein Safe-Sync doesn't have any other pins so that one is a bit more obvious. The manual does mention that the camera and flash systems much match for pass-through TTL, which seems obvious, but it doesn't say much more about mix-and-match compatibility when operating in on-camera manual mode.

Last edited by Tanzer; 07-12-2015 at 06:17 PM.