Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2014, 02:12 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Thanks for that, and also to maxfield_photo for following up with the details.

You seem to know a lot about this particular Metz model. Do you own one of them to? Seems very powerful.
I own a few Metz models and have owned others so have done the 'what do I need' pain with SCA.

currently of the older models I have (and will provide results when my V6's arrive)
Metz 54Mz3
Metz 45 CT4
Metz 45 Cl4 Digital

sca 3402
sca 3102
sca 3702
sca 3702 M3

Metz 50 (Pentax)
Metz 48 (Pentax)

I'll need to get an old sca300 for mt CT4 as I only have Pc sync leads for it at present. wish I'd never let my cl4 analogues go now

The 45 series are very powerfull being GN45@35mm and are as far as I know the most powerfull flashes available
I'll attempt to profile all my ttl capable flashes even the odds and sods I have haning around from pre-history (think theres some cobras in the loft)

05-19-2014, 07:34 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
currently of the older models I have (and will provide results when my V6's arrive)
Cool.

Don't get your hopes up too high for good accuracy for flash models that only support a few manual levels (such as only "1/2", "1/4", and "1/64"). We'll see what "maxfield_photo" will come up with, but from a quick and dirty test I did, the V6 reproduced the existing manual levels very well, but could have done better with levels that it needs to interpolate/extrapolate (such as 1/32 in the above case). Cactus may be able to improve this in the future; it seems it hasn't been a priority to optimally handle flashes with only a few manual levels.

The 45 series are very powerfull being GN45@35mm and are as far as I know the most powerfull flashes available
Yes, this corresponds to a GN of ~75 at a zoom level of 105mm (which the Metz does not have, but it is useful to use the same "currency", i.e.,, assume the same boost that a 105mm zoom head provides compared to a 35mm setting).

Last edited by Class A; 05-19-2014 at 07:41 AM.
05-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Cool.

Don't get your hopes up too high for good accuracy for flash models that only support a few manual levels (such as only "1/2", "1/4", and "1/64"). We'll see what "maxfield_photo" will come up with, but from a quick and dirty test I did, the V6 reproduced the existing manual levels very well, but could have done better with levels that it needs to interpolate/extrapolate (such as 1/32 in the above case). Cactus may be able to improve this in the future; it seems it hasn't been a priority to optimally handle flashes with only a few manual levels.

Be interesting as the 'power' levels of the ct4 are just resistor ladders so it fairly easy to add 1/128 and even 1/256 to the ct4

probably more related to how crude TTL is than the manual power levels delivered I'd have thought

Hence why I'm excited to try the sca300 series TTL control rather than a SCA3000d as I beieve the CT4 has the same circuitry as the cl4 but not the same user interface.

I could be wrong but as all cl4 adapters fit and work correctly on the Ct4 be interesting.

If it is the TTl circuitry causing consitency issue then there may be nothing Cactus can do about it.

Yes, this corresponds to a GN of ~75 at a zoom level of 105mm (which the Metz does not have, but it is useful to use the same "currency", i.e.,, assume the same boost that a 105mm zoom head provides compared to a 35mm setting).

GN just shy of 90 @300mm

Last edited by awaldram; 05-19-2014 at 01:24 PM.
05-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
GN just shy of 90 @300mm
These 200mm Nikon speedlights can go home now...

05-21-2014, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've posted the results of my testing of the V6 with the Metz 45CL-4 over in The V6 Compatibility thread.
05-22-2014, 02:03 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I've posted the results of my testing of the V6 with the Metz 45CL-4 over in The V6 Compatibility thread.
Thanks!
05-22-2014, 09:44 PM   #52

hi maxfield_photo , can you comment if the AF assist is available on the RF60 ?

I have the V6 and there's no AF assist ... which is fine ... as I use them for off camera flash.

I want to use the RF60 for on camera flash and would like to have the AF assist feature.

Thanks

05-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #53
Veteran Member

AF assist is a feature of Pentax's flash control protocol , it cannont be enable by generic flashes.

The Rf60 is a standard single pin flash therefore cannot have automated AF assist.
05-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Rf60 is a standard single pin flash therefore cannot have automated AF assist.
Yes, and it does not have a manually activated AF-assist beam either.

The Godox V850 has a manual one. Don't know how well it works. I've read about Yongnuo AF-assist beams that are pretty useless in terms of their alignment. One can always use an LED flash light, I guess.
05-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Will the V6 support my Metz 58-1 and Metz 50 for remote adjustments? Thanks for this informative review

EDIT: I just found out on their website that the V6 does not support My Metz 58 AF-1. But rather the 58 AF-2 only. Shame.
I have the Metz 58 AF1 and the V6 will support it through it's learning option. I have found some variations in the output of the flash test firing it manually and then mounting on a V6. Most settings are the same but some are lower some are higher. This is a crude test but I'm not a rocket scientist. I will post my results soon.
05-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by silverbow47 Quote
I have the Metz 58 AF1 and the V6 will support it through it's learning option.
Cool, thanks for sharing.

QuoteOriginally posted by silverbow47 Quote
I have found some variations in the output of the flash test firing it manually and then mounting on a V6. Most settings are the same but some are lower some are higher. This is a crude test but I'm not a rocket scientist. I will post my results soon.
Please do and perhaps report your findings in the "V6 flash compatibility" thread.
05-28-2014, 05:16 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have gone through the review and also through the V6 manual. I dont see anywhere that says that you can control manual flash power via the V6. Is that really the case.

I have two Yongnuo flashes that I will to connect with the V6.
05-28-2014, 05:46 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Just reporting in that my Metz 45 CT1 (earliest model) works fine with the V6. The v6 was on the camera hotshoe in Rx mode, triggering the flash in manual mode via a sync cable.

I tested the voltage of the Metz and it came in at about 170V, so I was a bit worried about using it directly connected to the camera. The V6 'safe-sync' capability tamed it and neither my K-x or K-3 seem to have been fried.
05-28-2014, 07:05 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I have gone through the review and also through the V6 manual. I dont see anywhere that says that you can control manual flash power via the V6. Is that really the case.
Whether or not you can control the power levels of a flash depends on the flash model.

My review contains a list of supported flash models and an explanation what type of flash model can be user profiled.

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I have two Yongnuo flashes that I will to connect with the V6.
If they only have a simple single-pin hot-shoe (e.g., like the YN560-II) then there is no way the V6 can control their power levels.

The Yongnuo YN568EX (II) for Canon can be remote controlled by the V6.

Which flash models do you have exactly?
05-28-2014, 07:09 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Just reporting in that my Metz 45 CT1 (earliest model) works fine with the V6.
Do you mean it can be triggered, or did you successfully profile it?

If the latter, did you need any additional gadgets / cables?

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The v6 was on the camera hotshoe in Rx mode, triggering the flash in manual mode via a sync cable.
Just curious as to why you used a sync cable. Did you not want to put the flash on the V6's female hot-shoe?

Note that you can put the V6 in Tx mode as well; the safe-sync feature will still work (even in TTL pass-through mode).