Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Metz 58 AF2 meetering off on Pentax K5

Hello,

As the title says, I tried shooting with a Metz 58 AF2 and in the live view it shows -5 exposure. The photo is a maximum -1 underexposed.
I tried to shoot with the flash in the `A` mode, `M` mode, `P- TTL` . Is mine broken or I need to do something else?

Firmwares are up to date (both flash and camera) .

All the best!

04-29-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
As the title says, I tried shooting with a Metz 58 AF2 and in the live view it shows -5 exposure. The photo is a maximum -1 underexposed.
Are you saying that you are puzzled by the difference between what LV is telling you (-5 EV) and what you are getting as a result (-1 EV)?

It is normal for the camera to show you the exposure that would result if you did not use a flash and for the result to be (close to) properly exposed because the camera then used the flash for the actual exposure.

In both "A" and "P-TTL" mode, you'll get automatic exposure ("A" -> the flash does it own its own, "P-TTL" -> the camera does it with the help of the flash). In "M" mode your exposure will depend on the power level you are setting on the flash. Do you not see a corresponding difference in your results?

P.S.: The K-5 has a P-TTL flash exposure problem (only finally fixed in the K-3), however, that only occurs in specific conditions and I don't think your issues have anything to do with it.
04-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Are you saying that you are puzzled by the difference between what LV is telling you (-5 EV) and what you are getting as a result (-1 EV)?
Hello,

Yes, I do find it weird. Am I a freak for thinking the camera should know which parameters are going in (flash function, aperture, shutter speed, ect. ) for making a photo, and telling me if it is or it isn' t properly exposed? I should stay an guess? What if there' s a dynamic scene shooting? I should guess every time the differences in light, and adapt accordingly?

So this thing happens with the Pentax Flashes as well? If not, I' m returning the Metz and getting a Pentax one. I find this to be very annoying.

Also to mention that after taking the Metz off the camera, if I point the camera in the same point (place) , it shows a different exposure in the LV ( - 1, 2 but not -5+ ) .

Thank you!

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 04-29-2014 at 08:57 PM.
04-30-2014, 02:23 AM   #4
bmw

So this thing happens with the Pentax Flashes as well?
Yes.

The camera cannot know what the flash-added exposure will be until the flash fires. What if you had the head swivelled behind you toward a black velvet curtain? What if you have heavily gelled the flash? What if the space you are trying to light is a cathedral? The camera's meter reads the ambient light.

04-30-2014, 02:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bmw Quote
Yes.

The camera cannot know what the flash-added exposure will be until the flash fires. What if you had the head swivelled behind you toward a black velvet curtain? What if you have heavily gelled the flash? What if the space you are trying to light is a cathedral? The camera's meter reads the ambient light.
Hello,

It overexposes in `A` mode as well. Regardless if it' s on the flash unit, the camera or both.

Thank you!
04-30-2014, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are experiencing normal behaviour for any DSLR from any manufacturer. The camera can only give metering for the light it sees.

If you get the settings right the flash will take care of the rest, but I always expect to apply some adjustments in post-processing. Getting good results takes a bit of experience, thought, and adjustment according to early results. I willingly admit I am only just starting to get the hang of it.

For what it's worth, I generally shoot events with the camera in MANUAL and the flash (I have the Metz 58 AF-1) in AUTO. I choose a shutter speed, aperture and ISO according to the ambient light and how much effect I want it to have on the final result, and bounce my flash mindful of the surfaces I'm pointing it at.

It's certainly not idiot proof, but I rarely get a complete dud nowadays.
04-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It's certainly not idiot proof
This could be said about flash photography in general!

05-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #8

Original Poster

Also to mention that after taking the Metz off the camera, if I point the camera in the same point (place) , it shows a different exposure in the VF ( - 1, 2 but not -5+ )
Hello,

So despite what I wrote in an upper answer (I changed `LV` to `VF` ) you guarantee me it' s all ok, as there is a `learning curve` .

Fine, I' ll give it a go.

All the best, and thank you for your answers!