Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-09-2014, 02:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Light for low key nude photography

Hello,

Kind of an urgent situation here, I have to quickly improvise something for a photo session. Target is very ambitious, low key nude photography. Unfortunately I only have access to some local store, and limited budget. I have no practical experience with this kind of photography, but I've done some reading and it seems I can get away with only one light source. Question is, which one? here are my choices considering I'm on a budget and I want continous lighting and not a flash:

Option 1: Hakutatz VL-9099
  • 9 x 45W = 405W
  • softbox 80x60cm
  • construction seems to be very poor from the reviews
Option 2: Fancier FANK-QL500D
  • 500W
  • 3200K - isn't it a little too cold ? but do I really need something between 5500-6000K considering that probably I'm gonna turn it B&W at PP anyway?
  • 60 x 90cm - a little bigger softbox, and it says "double diffusion", i don't know what that is
  • this one seems to have active cooling and variable power
  • more expensive than Options 1, 2
  • don't know if I really need 500W
Option 3: Hakutatz - 2x85w FB-85 + softbox + fasung
  • it's the second kit listed on the product page, the one with the 80cm octobox
  • 80cm octobox with good reviews
  • CRI 90 - seems good
  • 5500K - seems good
  • 2x85W = 170W - is it enough power ?

I provided link to product's page, unfortunately not in English, but I guess technical specs will make sense. So far I tend to go with either option 3 or option 2. I don't know if 170W is enough power, I've read about how to place the light for low key photography but I don't have any idea how powerful it needs to be. Any advices? As I said, i don't think i have time to research other options, model will only be available for one day only, so I don't have time to order from other stores.

Thank you!

05-09-2014, 03:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd suggest you contact bondezire, as he seems to be pretty good with the nude photography.

Regards
05-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have bought a Hakutatz light set just a week ago:

Hakutatz SSL-113 - cub foto 40x40cm cu 2 lampi fluorescente - F64

And even I'm used with the ''quality'' of some Chinese products from Ebay, I was surprised with the quality of this set. it's not topnotch, but is good and strong. And the price has no competition. About Fancier, from what I know, is just another name for Weifeng. I have a video tripod from Weyfeng, and is identical with Fancier, and I'm also satisfied with this.

I think that 5500K is much better than 3200K, which is too cold for nudes. About the power of 170W from those lamps, I'm not sure, but comparing with my 15W lamps from that set, I think they are much more powerful than an incandescent 170W. And they don't become super hot, like the halogen ones. I have a 500W halogen, and I don't use it anymore, because of how hot it became almost instantly, and how fast it fails.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 05-09-2014 at 06:17 AM.
05-09-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I have bought a Hakutatz light set just a week ago:

Hakutatz SSL-113 - cub foto 40x40cm cu 2 lampi fluorescente - F64

And even I'm used with the ''quality'' of some Chinese products from Ebay, I was surprised with the quality of this set. it's not topnotch, but is good and strong. And the price has no competition. About Fancier, from what I know, is just another name for Weifeng. I have a video tripod from Weyfeng, and is identical with Fancier, and I'm also satisfied with this.

I think that 5500K is much better than 3200K, which is too cold for nudes. About the power of 170W from those lamps, I'm not sure, but comparing with my 15W lamps from that set, I think they are much more powerful than an incandescent 170W. And they don't become super hot, like the halogen ones. I have a 500W halogen, and I don't use it anymore, because of how hot it became almost instantly, and how fast it fails.
So you think the 170W set (option 3) should be powerful enough, right?

05-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't tell for sure that's enough. Maybe is somewhere close to 500W on an incandescent, but is a problem of how big the space is, how far from you subject. Maybe 2 sets of option 3 will be the best choice, considering that sometime you need 2 sources of light, if not 3, for this kind of photos.
05-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
I'd suggest you contact bondezire, as he seems to be pretty good with the nude photography. Regards
The man is good.
11-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I finally went for option one and I regret it... it proved to be way too weak. Not to mention it's a nightmare to assemble and carry around. I don't recommend it at all, except for maybe product shooting. I ended up renting a professional studio flash.

11-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

FWIW, 3200K is a lot warmer than 5500K.

The higher the temperature (of a black body), the bluer the light becomes.
11-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
FWIW, 3200K is a lot warmer than 5500K.

The higher the temperature (of a black body), the bluer the light becomes.
But I can see where it comes from...
In Camera Raw the scale is reversed because it's a correction (you correct blue light going towards yellow).
Gone through that myself, before reading some books...
11-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
I'd suggest you contact bondezire, as he seems to be pretty good with the nude photography.
definitely PM bondezire and theres also another guy... alan smithee something ..also great with nude photography
11-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Does bondezire has a gallery or something ? I'm curious now. Thanks for the tips!
11-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Does bondezire has a gallery or something ? I'm curious now.
I think a lot of people are.

Joking aside, bondezire really knows his lighting. One of few people here whose work I immediately recognize and appreciate (and not because of the nudes (and sometimes despite them)).
11-16-2014, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Does bondezire has a gallery or something ? I'm curious now. Thanks for the tips!
Well, just a quick google image search turns up with a lot of results...
???? ????? - Bondezire - ??????? ? ?????????? ??????
http://club.foto.ru/gallery/photos/author.php?author_id=97892
Bondezire
et al.
Just google bondezire and you're good to go!