Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2014, 02:05 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sigma EF 530 DG Super exposure problem

Hi all, I'm looking for some guidance from anyone using the Sigma 530 model listed above. I've posted this message in DP review as well but this is the best place for Pentax help.

I've recently been using Above mentioned flash with a Pentax KR using the flash in PTTL and the camera in P mode.

At the time that this flash became popular for Pentax users, there was a lot of writing about inconsistent performance or inexplicable performance i.e. the flash would not perform as expected. I recall a night shot outdoors test where its range was limited to about 10 meters in PTTL mode but increased to 15 meters when used in manual mode (flash output was set to max.).

My current problem is that, especially with subjects close by (e.g. 4 ft. distance), the camera and or flash gets the exposure right and then totally over-exposes for the next few shots. The subject in question fills the VF i.e there are no dark areas that the flash is trying to illuminate. Camera settings and lens focal length don't change, only the amount of flash output changes. The distance scale on the flash LCD indicates a working distance down to 2 foot so the subject is within the range of the flash.

I'm assuming there is something wrong with the flash but since the camera and flash work as a unit, it could also be something wrong with camera electronics. Which is it? I'm guessing it is the flash but is there any way of establishing this? The inconsistency of the problem is a nuisance and effectively renders the flash useless for social functions, such as the birthday party I was asked to photograph last week, as I can't rely on it.

Any experienced suggestions will be welcome.

05-13-2014, 03:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Didn't the 530 pre-date the Kr ?

If so it would need a FW update to fully support the Kr has your unit been beck to Sigma and updated ?
05-13-2014, 04:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Didn't the 530 pre-date the Kr ?

If so it would need a FW update to fully support the Kr has your unit been beck to Sigma and updated ?
According to this website, you are correct (very bottom of the page).

Sigma EF 530 DG SUPER | Sigma Speedlite | Lens reviews

In the USA, Sigma will update the filmware for free (you pay shipping to Sigma). You will need to check with the service group for your area.

In addition, I've had really good luck with my Sigma EF 500 by setting the camera in manual (1/125 sec @ what every f-stop you like) and setting the flash to PTTL.

Tim
05-13-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It's quite possibly a matter of firmware indeed, I had a 530 ST which required a firmware update to work with the K20D.

The other possibility is that there is a reflective surface in your field of view that's fooling the metering system.

05-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up on the firmware update. I'll check it.
05-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
firmware update not necessary

I checked with the local agency and was told that the flash did not need any updating.
05-31-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

FWIW, my Sigma 530 DG St has worked fine in PTTL mode on the K-x, K-5 and K-3 for several years. I've never updated the firmware.

Matter of fact, I shot about 600 DNG's with it mounted on a K-3 at a live charity gig on Saturday night, using P-TTL, X mode, ISO 400 and f3.5-f4. About 90% of the shots turned out fine. Duds were mainly due to slow flash recycle time whilst shooting with AF.C, missed focus, or subjects moving too far away.
05-31-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
I checked with the local agency and was told that the flash did not need any updating.
You might try shooting with the camera in manual (I generally use 1/125 sec, f8, and ISO 400) when I use my Sigma 500 Super on my K-r. The Sigma flash correctly adjusts the light output and I don't seem to have major issues. When I use a modifier or bounce the flash, I do bump the flash +0.5 to +1 on the exposure.

Tim

06-02-2014, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
Well, when I had a 530 I had to send it twice to Sigma before they bothered to check the firmware. And it did need an update. So I wouldn't trust them blindly, if it's economical for you send it anyway.