Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I need a new flash.

I need a new flash.

I bought a Yongnuo YN 560 III about 5 months ago. It worked great till now. It will not fire on the hotshoe. It still works as a slave so it is not useless.

So I will keep it as a slave flash and now I am looking for another flash that will last longer and I am willing to pay over $100 but not more then $300.

I was looking at these. I want a well made flash that will last longer then my cheap yongnuo. what are some good brands.

Metz mecablitz 36 AF-5
Sigma EF-610 DG ST
Pentax AF 360 FGZ
Pentax AF-500 FTZ
Pentax AF 360 FGZ

---------- Post added 05-13-14 at 10:04 PM ----------

anyone ever try Viltrox JY-620 ?

05-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What about the Godox V850, the li battery seems pretty handy. I will be picking 1 of these up pretty soon.
05-14-2014, 02:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tahoejeepmom Quote
I need a new flash.

I bought a Yongnuo YN 560 III about 5 months ago. It worked great till now. It will not fire on the hotshoe. It still works as a slave so it is not useless.

So I will keep it as a slave flash and now I am looking for another flash that will last longer and I am willing to pay over $100 but not more then $300.

I was looking at these. I want a well made flash that will last longer then my cheap yongnuo. what are some good brands.

Metz mecablitz 36 AF-5
Sigma EF-610 DG ST
Pentax AF 360 FGZ
Pentax AF-500 FTZ
Pentax AF 360 FGZ

one of my 360fgz is 9 years old and the other 4 years old
the SIgma do not have a good longevity reputation
The Metz you mention is made for them by Tumax and is not like the 4 and 5 series metz guns

I know nothing of the 500FTZ but note its been out of production fo years but still kicking around
05-14-2014, 05:25 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I need a new flash.

Metz mecablitz 36 AF-5
Sigma EF-610 DG ST
Pentax AF 360 FGZ
Pentax AF-500 FTZ
Pentax AF 360 FGZ

i would get the Pentax AF-540FGZ Flash ...there are several on the forum for sale and it is a great flash...i have both this and the WR version and have been very happy with them!!

05-14-2014, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

If all you want is a manual flash, then indeed I would look at the Godox v850 instead of the Pentax AF500. I've had both, and even though the Pentax is nice, it's really not designed to be used with a digital camera, a few things get annoying real fast (sleep mode not configurable, for instance). The Godox will cost about the same price new as the AF500 used. The Cactus V6 could be another interesting flash, with more features if you plan on using it a lot in a studio. It's more expensive and lacks the sheer power of the Li-Ion battery however.

If you want a full-featured flash, at a low price, the most interesting current product in my opinion is the Metz AF52. I don't own it but I've handled it recently and I'm impressed. It's well-made, sturdy, recycles decently fast, and the touch screen LCD is no gimmick. It's not as fast to operate as a Pentax AF360 or 540, but it's still intuitive.

The Sigma 610 Super is just a tad less expensive than the Metz, and is also a full-featured flash. I've owned the 530 version. It's well-made, but feels cheaper than the others. The menu system is really not as intuitive as the others, I can't say I like it. I think the Metz is a better choice, but for pure PTTL it will serve you well.

The Pentax 360 is nice, sturdy, reliable, but the least powerful of the list, and not the least expensive. So I would not consider it, except if you dig its compact size.
05-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I need a new flash.
If you plan to use the flash off-camera as well, I'd get one that allows you to control its power level from the camera position.

The Godox V850 supports remote power level control (with an extra external receiver add-on that does not need any batteries of its own though) and is just the ticket if you want very fast recycling and extreme battery longevity without involving the cost and the bulk of an external battery pack. Note that there is a cheaper version of it, called the Neewer TT850.

For single flash power control, the Godox transmitter is adequate, but if you want room for growth than I'd recommend the Cactus V6 trigger which has much better usability once you go past one light source.

The V6 should be able to control the power levels of all the flash models you mentioned (perhaps not the Sigma; remains to be seen).

You'd need a V6 for each flash you want to trigger, and one more to trigger/control the former.

You would not have to add a V6 to the RF60 flash which has a built-in, integrated radio receiver that also supports remote zoom control on top of power level control (plus some more advanced features like an HSS sympathy mode).

Unfortunately, neither YN560-III nor Godox V850 can be remote power controlled by the V6. The Godox V860C, however is supported and uses the same battery as the V850.
05-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The Pentax 360 flash head does not swivel, so I would not buy that to use as an on-camera flash. A used Pentax 540 is a great all around performer, with everything you need including PTTL and Auto modes. If you just want a manual flash, then follow the advice that has been given here.

05-20-2014, 12:29 AM   #8
Inactive Account

PM me. I have a Pentax 540FGZ available. Excellent top drawer flash. FYI
05-20-2014, 04:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you want cheap and reliable and can cope with manual mode then a 2nd hand Nikon Sb24 or sb28 might be ideal. They are also compatible with Cactus v6 transceivers if you think you might also like remote power level of the flashes down the track.

Howie B
06-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #10

Original Poster
Well I thought my flash was working again and that I fixed the problem then it died again when I was trying to take photo for a friend . I am so done with it.

So it has come down to the pentax af 540fgz , Metz AF52, or Metz 58 AF-2 .

I want a powerful flash that will last a long time. I would like it to be able to be on auto but it does not have to be.
06-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

My Sigma 500 Super has been working like a dream since 2007. Sigma even update the software for free when I upgraded my camera from a DS to a K-r. When camera mounted, I use it mostly in bounce or with a diffuser and I've had no problems setting the camera in manual (1/125 @ f8 and ISO 400) and the flash on PTTL.

Taken with today with a flash diffuser/bounce card. Our foster dog is just delivered her first puppy.

Tim
06-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #12

Original Poster
Well I went with the Metz 52 AF-1 I did a good amount of research and founf 90% of the reviews to be good. People love this flash So I found it for a pretty good price on Amazon.
06-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The Godox V850 supports remote power level control (with an extra external receiver add-on that does not need any batteries of its own though) and is just the ticket if you want very fast recycling and extreme battery longevity without involving the cost and the bulk of an external battery pack. Note that there is a cheaper version of it, called the Neewer TT850.
And a slightly more expensive labeling, the Cheetah Light V850. If you are in the US, I think it's worth the few extra dollars for excellent customer service and US-based warranty service.
06-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Well I went with the Metz 52 AF-1 I did a good amount of research and founf 90% of the reviews to be good. People love this flash So I found it for a pretty good price on Amazon.
Enjoy! The 52 is a good, powerful flash with a much better interface (touchscreen) than most other current Metz flashes. My 48-AF1 frustrates me sometimes in that regard...