Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #1

Standard Flash

Hi,

I am new to the DSLR space, but used a Konica T3 film camera for years with a Vivitar 283 external flash. Do I need to buy a flash that is Pentax specific or can I buy the Vivitar equivalent ? If so, can you provide some product names?

Thanks

06-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In order to work in P-TTL mode you need to buy a Pentax specific flash. Models from Pentax of course and Metz makes ones that work as well as some others I cannot remember right off.

Non-brand specific flashes will usually work but in manual mode only.

Older flashes from the film era MAY work, but be cautious as some have trigger voltages that far exceed the safe operating parameters of DSLRs. You can fry your camera with some of them. You can check to see if your flash is listed here: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages or test with a volt meter.

If you are OK with all manual flash note that there are several brands available (Cactus and Yongnuo come to mind) that have more features than your older flash, are probably more powerful and are very inexpensive.
06-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, I was warned about the older flashes. I see that the makers have gone more proprietary, so I guess I would rather buy Pentax. I had hoped it would be more generic like in the old days <G>
06-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm not sure if you're planning to get a K-3, but if you are, when you bundle a Pentax AF 540 flash you can get it for just $100 (regular price for the flash is $426, the camera is $1196):
Pentax K-3 DSLR Camera Body with Flash and Battery Grip Kit B&H

This is a really hot deal right now.

The AF 540 flash is powerful and offers both tilt/swivel support. Other P-TTL Pentax flashes include the AF 200 (a basic flash), AF 360 (old mid-range flash, no swivel), AF 360 II (weather sealed, swivel, current), and AF 540 II (weather sealed, swivel, current).

If you're on a budget (and don't plan on getting the K-3 kit above), Metz flashes are definitely worth looking at.

More info on the various Pentax flashes can be found here:
Flashes (Genuine Pentax) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Hope this helps!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

Non-brand specific flashes will usually work but in manual mode only.
This is not correct. I use Nikon flashes ( SB-25s & SB-26s) on camera in auto mode all the time with excellent results.
06-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm not sure if you're planning to get a K-3, but if you are, when you bundle a Pentax AF 540 flash you can get it for just $100 (regular price for the flash is $426, the camera is $1196):
Pentax K-3 DSLR Camera Body with Flash and Battery Grip Kit B&H

This is a really hot deal right now.

The AF 540 flash is powerful and offers both tilt/swivel support. Other P-TTL Pentax flashes include the AF 200 (a basic flash), AF 360 (old mid-range flash, no swivel), AF 360 II (weather sealed, swivel, current), and AF 540 II (weather sealed, swivel, current).

If you're on a budget (and don't plan on getting the K-3 kit above), Metz flashes are definitely worth looking at.

More info on the various Pentax flashes can be found here:
Flashes (Genuine Pentax) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Hope this helps!
Yes been drooling, but do they ship to Canada?
06-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
This is not correct. I use Nikon flashes ( SB-25s & SB-26s) on camera in auto mode all the time with excellent results.
Thanks, will look at them.

06-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Grumpo51 Quote
Yes been drooling, but do they ship to Canada?
Yes, as it's actually quite cheap if you choose purolator ground.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually it is true. The auto mode on the sb-26 is reading the scene and cutting off the flash for proper exposure all in the flash. There is no communication with the camera except the fire command. I use an sb-26 all the time, excellent flash but it is not p-ttl.
06-25-2014, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you are old school like me you might find you prefer to use manual flash. You get way more bang for your buck. This is a recent pentax forum writeup on a manual flash system.

Godox Ving V850 System Review - Introduction - PF Reviews
06-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The vivitar 283 is a great flash, but they often have a trigger voltage in excess of what is safe for your digital camera.

But the auto thyristor technology it uses is still quite suitable. I actually prefer it to the more modern P-TTL technology. There's no annoying pre-flash delay. I get an exposure exactly when I hit the shutter, not after the TTL has done it's measuring. It's also easier to use optical slaves to fire additional flash units.

I suggest you measure the trigger voltage of your 283, and if it's safe, use it. If not, go for something like the Vivitar 285HV--they're quite reliable and inexpensive.

QuoteOriginally posted by Grumpo51 Quote
I had hoped it would be more generic like in the old days
Generic still works.
06-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Yes, auto thyristor flashes will work in auto. In that case the camera will simply trigger the flash. You still need to use the camera in manual mode, or at least to control how it sets the exposure relative to the flash.
06-27-2014, 05:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Agree with what was said just above. If you don't mind spending the money, then you can buy a Pentax flash that will support PPTL flash automation which is the latest and greatest in flash support. Other third party flash makers like Metz and Sigma have flashes that support PTTL.

If you want a flash that will give you automatic exposure, but you are not willing to spend the money for a PTTL flash, then get an Auto Thyrister flash. These are mostly older units that can be bought on the used market, and work perfectly well. The old Nikon units suggested above are great. There are also many Sunpak Auto Thyrister flashes that can be found from $20-$50, that will work great, and give you results that rival the PTTL system.

Only buy a manual flash without Auto-Thyrister if you are willing to adjust the output yourself manually. At events, that can be very difficult.
06-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Actually it is true. The auto mode on the sb-26 is reading the scene and cutting off the flash for proper exposure all in the flash. There is no communication with the camera except the fire command. I use an sb-26 all the time, excellent flash but it is not p-ttl.
I never said anything about p-ttl. Nor did I say anything about flash-camera communication. I said the Nikon flashes work in auto mode, and they do. You said off brand flashes can only work in manual mode, and that is not true. Any auto-thyristor flash will work just fine on a Pentax camera, regardless of brand name, and the results will be as consistent as, if not more consistent, than p-ttl, at a much lower cost.

---------- Post added 06-29-14 at 02:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Yes, auto thyristor flashes will work in auto. In that case the camera will simply trigger the flash. You still need to use the camera in manual mode, or at least to control how it sets the exposure relative to the flash.
It will work just fine in x-sync mode and aperture priority mode. All you have to do is make sure the aperture and ISO settings on the flash match the camera settings.
06-30-2014, 04:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

It will work just fine in x-sync mode and aperture priority mode. All you have to do is make sure the aperture and ISO settings on the flash match the camera settings.
That is a very loose definition of just fine

Flash automation on Pentax really fits into 5 categories

1 Full P-ttl inc wireless (very flexible for multi flash shooting)
2 partial P-ttl some cheap off brands and low spec units features missing usuall wireless , master etc (limited multi flash use)
3 Pentax fit Auto flashes , these range from metz sca 372 through to Pentax 500 these flashes will set x-synx, aperture and iso from the flash to the body (easy multi flash but not flexible)
4 Sinlge pin 'Auto' inc other manafacturers fit flashes, no automation but will allow correct exposure providing body as manualy 'set' to match flash (easy multi flash but not flexible)
5 Manual flashes here you control everything and is not really any mor complex than 4 above once your comfortable with your flahses your'll generally get it right first time everytime for simple flash solutions (very flecible for multi flash shooting)

For serious flash shooting 1 and 5 are you best bets, but you can mix 3,4 and 5 to give a set base level with fine tuning from the manual flashes.

Choices should be made based on 'system' setup which will normally revolve round triggering.