Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2014, 04:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

How to set 1/180s when using Cactus V5?

Hey guys,
I'm pretty sure someone must have asked this same question before, but I just can't find any answers anywhere. So, please help!
When I'm shooting (K5) in manual mode and I'm changing the shutter speed, it goes 1/160 - 1/200 etc. Now, when I pop up the built-in flash or mount an external flash on the camera, the shutter speed goes 1/160 - 1/180 and stops there. So far so good, I get it. But how do I set this max sync speed when I'm firing an off-camera flash via Cactus V5's? It just won't stop at 1/180s! It goes 1/160 - 1/200, at which point the flash won't fire anymore, so the max sync speed I can use is 1/160. Is there any way how to get to 1/180? I know it's not much of a difference, but still... It's bad enough that Pentax won't give us a faster sync speed than 1/180, and having to use 1/160 makes it even worse.

06-28-2014, 04:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
X-sync on the dial
06-28-2014, 04:41 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
DUH!!! I should have RTFM! :-D Oh, god.... banging my head...
Anyway, thank you sooo much!
06-28-2014, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Happyman Quote
DUH!!! I should have RTFM! :-D Oh, god.... banging my head... Anyway, thank you sooo much!
LOL You and 90% of other photographers.

06-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Asides from X-sync, you can set your camera tu use 1/2 EV step in the config menu. On the K5, it is in the menu C1, item 1, set it to 2 and you'll have access to 1/180 since that each click of the control wheels will use 1/2 step instead of 1/3.
06-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Yes, it is just the difference in the available steps when you have it set to 1/3 EV steps instead of 1/2 EV. (Not all models have an X setting, so good to know.)
06-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Asides from X-sync, you can set your camera tu use 1/2 EV step in the config menu. On the K5, it is in the menu C1, item 1, set it to 2 and you'll have access to 1/180 since that each click of the control wheels will use 1/2 step instead of 1/3.
Actually, I thought about that - I even got to the point where I had a look to the camera menu to see where I could change the EV steps. But I never actually tried it, I just thought, "no, that's probably not gonna help me" :-) But it does work - in half EV steps the shutter speed goes from 1/125 to 1/180. But I'm used to shooting with 1/3 EV increments, so I'll just have to try both methods and see which one works better for me.
Thank you all!
06-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If there is not much ambient light than the shutter speed is effectively the flash speed and the difference between 1/180 and 1/160 and 1/125 doesn't really matter...

06-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
If there is not much ambient light than the shutter speed is effectively the flash speed and the difference between 1/180 and 1/160 and 1/125 doesn't really matter...
Yeah, I know, but I was thinking more about the situation when you're shooting e.g. in bright sunlight and you want to kill the ambient light as much as possible, while getting the most out of your flash - so instead of increasing the F-stop you try to set the fastest shutter speed possible.
07-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, I know, but I was thinking more about the situation when you're shooting e.g. in bright sunlight and you want to kill the ambient light as much as possible, while getting the most out of your flash - so instead of increasing the F-stop you try to set the fastest shutter speed possible.
For what you describe, you want High Speed Sync (HSS), which is a feature of higher-end flashes when they are mounted on (or P-TTL wired to) your camera's hot shoe. Read this recent post by Class A for a much better description.

The V5 will transmit a signal at any shutter speed, but unless your Pentax camera gets a signal that there is a HSS-capable and ready flash in the hot shoe, the camera itself won't send a flash command to the hot shoe at anything over 1/180 (which means a V5 transmitter won't know to fire an off-camera flash).
07-03-2014, 12:08 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
For what you describe, you want High Speed Sync (HSS), which is a feature of higher-end flashes when they are mounted on (or P-TTL wired to) your camera's hot shoe. Read this recent post by Class A for a much better description.

The V5 will transmit a signal at any shutter speed, but unless your Pentax camera gets a signal that there is a HSS-capable and ready flash in the hot shoe, the camera itself won't send a flash command to the hot shoe at anything over 1/180 (which means a V5 transmitter won't know to fire an off-camera flash).
Thanks for the answer, panoguy. I know I can't use HSS with V5 on Pentax, that's why I was trying to figure out how to set 1/180 sec. when shooting in this situation. That's the max I can go and I didn't know how to set that shutter speed.
V6's are on their way, though, so I'll check them out soon.
07-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the answer, panoguy. I know I can't use HSS with V5 on Pentax, that's why I was trying to figure out how to set 1/180 sec. when shooting in this situation. That's the max I can go and I didn't know how to set that shutter speed.
V6's are on their way, though, so I'll check them out soon.
If you have a V6 on your camera with a HSS-capable flash in its hotshoe (in P-TTL pass-through), then your Pentax will send a flash signal at pretty much any shutter speed you need, and the V6 signal will even trigger any V5s you have. Looks kinda goofy with all that stuff on top of the camera, but it works (I know, I've tested it while trying to wrap my head around the RF60 "HSS sympathy mode.").