Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Metz 52 AF-1 good for parade portrait fill-flash?

After reading things on PF and elsewhere, the Metz Mecablitz 52-AF1 is currently my first choice due to a combination of factors. If the 52 isn't bright enough then I guess I would go with the Sigma 610 Super because that's the brightest HSS on-camera flash. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

I've become interested in parades, street fairs, and other scenes where people have occasion to wear interesting costumes. Subjects are often in full midday sun and wear hats or carry shade umbrellas, leading to a shadowed face with highlighted shoulders and backgrounds. My usual strategy is to shoot raw and lighten shadows during processing. That works reasonably well but I want to start experimenting with on-camera fill flash. My parade portraits are typically taken at either 50mm (when I'm using the DA* 16-50 for wider shots) or a manual 135mm lens when I want to isolate individuals and emphasize faces rather than full bodies.

The Metz and Sigma allow me to either use HSS at fast shutter speeds, or an ND filter to reduce ambient light for 1/180 sync speed. I prefer trying HSS due to moving subjects during a parade. I think HSS reduces GN a lot as shutter speeds increase so I might have to revert to the ND solution anyway.

So, is the Metz 52 a good choice for parade shots, or should I go with the Sigma 610, or maybe something else?

07-15-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What about a beamer? I have this: XT Flash Extender Kit

It comes with the fresnel, but also a light diffuser that sits inside the box. For longer shots you put the fresnel on, for shorter ones you remove it and take advantage of the dome diffuser.

I use it on my metz AF-1 50 at 300mm or 420mm with the TC and at distances where I can get a shot it is more than adequate for light.
07-15-2014, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
If the 52 isn't bright enough then I guess I would go with the Sigma 610 Super because that's the brightest HSS on-camera flash.
Note that the difference between GN61 and GN52 is less than half a stop, i.e., not much.

Also, make sure to compare GNs at the same zoom level. If the Sigma has a longer maximum zoom setting than the Metz, its maximum guide number will be stated to be higher, while in terms of raw power they could be the same (not saying they are; you can find out by comparing guide numbers at 35mm, for instance, or any other identical zoom level).

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I think HSS reduces GN a lot as shutter speeds increase so I might have to revert to the ND solution anyway.
HSS eats flash power, but so does an ND filter.

The flash has to power against the ND filter and if you still want to see an effect in bright daylight you may have to go near full power as well which in turn means that the flash duration rises up to ~1/125s, i.e., more than the sync speed and not really action-stopping anymore.
07-18-2014, 04:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
flash duration rises up to ~1/125s, i.e., more than the sync speed and not really action-stopping anymor
And more often than not forgotten in the assumption flash will stop action.

My working mantra is a flash operating within it limits is a powerfull tool , a flash operating at its limit is a liability.

More so than any concern as how to fire the flash be it hss,ttt,manual or auto.

HSS/ fast shutter is rarley the best way to stop action, Multiple flashes aperating at low power are considerably more adroit at it if possible.

1/8000 is nothing compared to 1/40,000 and better that can be achieved will well configured flash lighting.

In the OP's case that wont be possible but an ND filter is probably the worst idea.

I'd suspect a 1-2 decent P-ttl flashes would surfice for 'fill' at 10-20M any more than that and I;d go multiple manual flashes and small apertures to keep shutter <1/180

I can achieve decent flash illuminatioin @iso400-800 out to around 30M fro a single 540 in p-ttl so for fill only a metz 52 might cover his needs.

Last edited by awaldram; 07-18-2014 at 04:51 AM.