Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2014, 02:40 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remote flash question

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Is there any distance limitations for using a remote flash on a DSLR? When I say distance, I'm talking about a reasonable distance.... say maybe 20-25 feet when using a "hard" connection. I plan on taking some photos of a friend's new Corvette and want to use a remote flash unit (or units) placed underneath (or around) the car for some special effect during a nighttime shoot. We plan on using some dry ice in this "adventure" in a rather unique approach. I've never used flash very much in my 45+ years of owning a Pentax of one flavor or another - odd that - but, it's never too late to learn about it, I suppose.

I have four older flash units, but whether they would be applicable or not remains to be seen. I would like to use one or more of them without having to invest very much $$$ in the process. I'm hoping there's some way to run a physical connection to one or more of them and have them fire when the shutter is tripped on my K2000. I have a Pentax AF 200S, a Pentax AF 160Sa, a Kalimar 175A Automatic and a Sunpak 933 "AutoZoom Dedicated."

So, with the information I've provided, can you give me any advice or instructions on how to approach and/or accomplish this task I've undertaken? Please bear in mind.... I'm a complete novice when it comes to flashes and the nomenclature involved in their use.

Thanks for any help you may offer.

By the way, it's not a "New" Corvette as such, but a '97 with 19,000 miles on it. Absolutely pristine and stunning!

Dewman
SW Idaho

Last edited by Dewman; 12-16-2014 at 01:23 AM.
09-05-2014, 03:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Is there any distance limitations for using a remote flash on a DSLR? When I say distance, I'm talking about a reasonable distance.... say maybe 20-25 feet when using a "hard" connection. I plan on taking some photos of a friend's new Corvette and want to use a remote flash unit (or units) placed underneath (or around) the car for some special effect during a nighttime shoot. We plan on using some dry ice in this "adventure" in a rather unique approach. I've never used flash very much in my 45+ years of owning a Pentax of one flavor or another - odd that - but, it's never too late to learn about it, I suppose.

I have four older flash units, but whether they would be applicable or not remains to be seen. I would like to use one or more of them without having to invest very much $$$ in the process. I'm hoping there's some way to run a physical connection to one or more of them and have them fire when the shutter is tripped on my K2000. I have a Pentax AF 200S, a Pentax AF 160Sa, a Kalimar 175A Automatic and a Sunpak 933 "AutoZoom Dedicated."

So, with the information I've provided, can you give me any advice or instructions on how to approach and/or accomplish this task I've undertaken? Please bear in mind.... I'm a complete novice when it comes to flashes and the nomenclature involved in their use.

Thanks for any help you may offer.

By the way, it's not a "New" Corvette as such, but a '97 with 19,000 miles on it. Absolutely pristine and stunning!

Dewman
SW Idaho
Interesting idea, By 'hard' connection and the fact you've old single pin flashes your talking full manual with center-pin/pc-link firing off cable connections.?

Don't think you'll find any data on this as it would depend on
1 cable resistance
2 camera ability to sink voltage
3 flashes pull up resistance
4 flashes pin voltage

I don't know your flashes so you should check they will not damage your camera as a first check
Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

If there OK then I would imagine the camera could happily cable trigger 4 flashes but cost might be high for splitters and cable.

Why don't you get a Transmitter and 4 receivers off ebay they can be had for very little and though will not set the world alight with quality or consistency would be the cheapest and easiest option for your project.

They will work without issue for a single shooter environment 0-100 ft very consistently

Unless your willing to invest in new flashes then anything more elaborate (cactur V6's etc) is really overkill and a waste of money.
09-05-2014, 04:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Interesting idea, By 'hard' connection and the fact you've old single pin flashes your talking full manual with center-pin/pc-link firing off cable connections.?

Don't think you'll find any data on this as it would depend on
1 cable resistance
2 camera ability to sink voltage
3 flashes pull up resistance
4 flashes pin voltage

I don't know your flashes so you should check they will not damage your camera as a first check
Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

If there OK then I would imagine the camera could happily cable trigger 4 flashes but cost might be high for splitters and cable.

Why don't you get a Transmitter and 4 receivers off ebay they can be had for very little and though will not set the world alight with quality or consistency would be the cheapest and easiest option for your project.

They will work without issue for a single shooter environment 0-100 ft very consistently

Unless your willing to invest in new flashes then anything more elaborate (cactur V6's etc) is really overkill and a waste of money.
I don't think I'd be using more than one or two flash units. I don't want to illuminate the car, per se, but use the flash units for some sort of visual effect, possibly illuminate the "fog" from the dry ice. I guess what I'm asking is.... how do I go about this? Do I connect the units to the camera via cables (wire) or is there some sort of remote triggering device that is actuated by the camera itself? As I said, I'm completely in the "dark" about this subject (no pun intended) and I obviously need to be taken by the hand and led down this path of unknowns.

Dewman
SW Idaho
09-05-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I second the suggestion to and get some simple wireless triggers. There are some reviews here Flash Accessories (Third-party) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

I have these Yongnuo 2.4GHz Wireless Remote Control RF-602 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database and find them completely reliable but they don't sync at quite the max shutter speed of the camera (I need to use 1/160s or slower, not 1/180s). There are newer versions that might sync at full speed and more expensive models that have fancier options (like the cactus v6). Not all triggers can handle high voltage flashes, so make sure yours are low voltage or buy triggers that can take it.

You need one transmitter for the camera and one receiver for each flash. Some radio triggers are 'transceivers' where each unit can change modes between being a receiver and transmitter for more flexibility.

09-05-2014, 06:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I guess what I'm asking is.... how do I go about this? Do I connect the units to the camera via cables (wire) or is there some sort of remote triggering device that is actuated by the camera itself?
The best (regarding cost and to avoid seeing cables) is indeed to get radio triggers. There are many, many options available if you only want a dumb trigger without advanced functions like exposure control. Some flashes even have an optical detector that allows them to fire when they detect another flash firing nearby.

I'd look at the Yongnuo RF-603 version 3 I believe (check for the newest). They are cheap and have good reliability. they probably will cost less than long cables. Otherwise, companies like Fotodiox, Godox, Cowboystudio make dumb triggers also and any of these would suit your needs.
09-05-2014, 07:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Cowboy studios are cheap, I paid $24.00 for a trigger and two receivers. For starter equipment, they will work fine for what you want. NPT 04 4 Channel Wireless Trigger for External Speelights 1 Trigger 2 Receive | eBay

Also if you care to learn more on flash photography here's a great site. http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 09-05-2014 at 07:11 AM.
09-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great info, guys. I think the radio triggers are the direction to go. When this all comes together, I'll post some photos of the results.

Dewman
SW Idaho

09-06-2014, 07:24 AM   #8
bmw

Photos: Albums
Thanks for all the great info, guys. I think the radio triggers are the direction to go. When this all comes together, I'll post some photos of the results.

Dewman
SW Idaho
Dewman, consider this another vote for the NPT-04 kit. Excellent value, cheap and simple.

If you should happen to get that one, be sure and clean the electrical contacts well with contact cleaner and/or a microfiber cloth. They seem to have an invisible film of oil on them from the factory and that causes random flash misfires until removed. This probably applies to other units too; contacts are weak point in this technology.
09-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bmw Quote
Dewman, consider this another vote for the NPT-04 kit. Excellent value, cheap and simple.

If you should happen to get that one, be sure and clean the electrical contacts well with contact cleaner and/or a microfiber cloth. They seem to have an invisible film of oil on them from the factory and that causes random flash misfires until removed. This probably applies to other units too; contacts are weak point in this technology.

Thanks for the comment, BMW. I'm anxious to give it a try.

Dewman
SW Idaho
09-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks for the comment, BMW. I'm anxious to give it a try.

Dewman
SW Idaho
Word of warning.... Strobist photography can lead to a whole new LBA (lighting buying addiction)
09-07-2014, 04:17 AM   #11

IMHO the really cheap way for radio triggers is yongnuo rf602 or meyin rf604, I've had both before switching to cactus v6, and never had a problem or misfire.
Rf604s have the advantage of not using odd cr2 batteries in the transmitter and having 3 groups (A,B,C) Canon version works on pentax and are backwards compatible with rf602s
I guess the npt04 mentioned above is sort of a clone in the same range of the 602s

36$ for 2 including postage doesn't look bad to me
Meyin RF 604 Transceiver Wireless Trigger Transmitter Receiver for Canon | eBay