Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2014, 01:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
PENTAX 360FGZ standby time??

Does anybody knows if there is an option to change the "stand by" time for the 360FGZ ?? I mean if I use the flash off camera is kind of annoying for the flash to keep shutting down every X minutes without shooting, especially at photoshoots where you have to change something or you talk to the model for a little to explain a pose or just stop taking pictures for a few minuts.. then the flash shuts down and you have to walk to the flash, turn it on again, and if is manual, place the settings again... sooo.. Is there any way to avoid this?? like to have the flash ON, until you turn it OFF manually??

09-11-2014, 01:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

+ 1 to that question ! Having my manual lost long time ago I also would like to know how to keep the flash ON until I deliberately switch it OFF. Similar to OP I find it extremely frustrating when having my flash off camera it suddenly isn't firing after being put on sleep mode.
09-11-2014, 02:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the manual. And it says:
Automatic power off: 3 mins of no operation with power [ON], 6 mins in Auto, 1 hour in wireless mode.
Power quick-on: By pressing shutter button halfway.
09-11-2014, 02:39 AM   #4
sbc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Does anybody knows if there is an option to change the "stand by" time for the 360FGZ ?? I mean if I use the flash off camera is kind of annoying for the flash to keep shutting down every X minutes without shooting, especially at photoshoots where you have to change something or you talk to the model for a little to explain a pose or just stop taking pictures for a few minuts.. then the flash shuts down and you have to walk to the flash, turn it on again, and if is manual, place the settings again... sooo.. Is there any way to avoid this?? like to have the flash ON, until you turn it OFF manually??
I only have the AF540FGZ but it should work the same. Press and hold the light button until the special manual appears. Press mode until you see PH. Press S button until you see 2. This will disable auto power off.

09-11-2014, 02:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I have the manual. And it says:
Automatic power off: 3 mins of no operation with power [ON], 6 mins in Auto, 1 hour in wireless mode.
Power quick-on: By pressing shutter button halfway.
Thanks ! So to get it absolutely right - there is no way of altering this behaviour when flash is used off camera ? For example I am using it off camera but not in wireless mode. And having it on manual - it goes OFF in 3 minutes ( according to the manual quoted - which is about right from my experience ). Is there any way to alter this behaviour or not ? Thanks in advance !
09-11-2014, 03:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you need the manual, it can be downloaded from the Ricoh website

Downloads & Literature - RICOH Imaging

Tim
09-11-2014, 05:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
If you need the manual, it can be downloaded from the Ricoh website Downloads & Literature - RICOH Imaging Tim
Thanks !

Just had a quick look and sadly it appears that this flash gives no control over auto-off feature

09-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I have the same issue. I remember reading somewhere that the auto power off can be turned off on the 540 but not on the 360. I also have a Metz 52 AF-1 which goes one better then the 540. The Metz allows you to dial in how much time before the flash shuts off along with totally disabling it.

I am getting ready to do a photo shoot this weekend and I will see how annoying the auto power off is on the 360. I will be using the new Cactus V6 remotes to trigger my various flashes. I will see if the halfway pressing of shutter release would wake up the 360 sitting on the Cactus remote trigger.
09-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I will see if the halfway pressing of shutter release would wake up the 360 sitting on the Cactus remote trigger.
It will not - at least it doesn't work in case of my Cactus V5 combo. Quite strange to not have some sort of customisation - I remember buying this flash back in 2008 brand new was quite expensive somewhere around £200 and appeared to be Pro-targeted item. Looks like it isn't..
09-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
It will not - at least it doesn't work in case of my Cactus V5 combo. Quite strange to not have some sort of customisation - I remember buying this flash back in 2008 brand new was quite expensive somewhere around £200 and appeared to be Pro-targeted item. Looks like it isn't..
Thank you for the feedback. I guess Pentax wants people to fork over more money for a simple feature like that!
09-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Did some research online and saddly.. NO.. the 360fgz doesnt have a way to turn this "feature" OFF .. :/ :/ it sucks cuz for a flash that isnt that "cheap" this elementary setting is expected to be there.. :/ :/

The 540 can do it as far as i read.. but not the little brother..

Last edited by kooks; 09-15-2014 at 12:49 PM.
09-13-2014, 11:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Did some research online and saddly.. NO.. the 360fgz doesnt have a way to turn this "feature" OFF .. :/ :/ it sucks cuz for a flash that isnt that "cheap" this elementary setting is spected to be there.. :/ :/ The 540 can do it as far as i read.. but not the little brother..
Thanks for confirming that. I agree this is a fail, especially that both flashes doesn't work in true wireless mode and with ever-growing sales of remote triggers I expect more and more people to be fairly disappointed with 360 flash. This sort of 'feature' is basically a software based solution - probably no more than few lines of code as far as I can tell. Looks like Pentax is shooting itself in a foot with those silly attempts to capitalise on such 'features' - which I would say are necessity for a flash like this. shame
09-29-2014, 02:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think that i found a "solution" .. kind of.. I just got some Cactus V6 transivers and for them to work (comunicate) with the 360FGZ the Flash have to be at PTTL mode ( even if not really working PTTL ), the good thing is that at PTTL the flash doesnt shut down, so it never goes to sleep doesnt matter the time that u dont shoot ( i tested for 10min and never got off ). So perhaps this is a "walk around" that could work for some of us. Dont know if this works with other transivers too.