Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
bad cactus rf60 flash

So I ordered a V6 and 2 RF60s, and I think one of the flashes is bad. Much to my consternation, I couldn't get it to fire reliably at a shoot today. It won't even fire reliably when pressing the "test" button. Is there something I'm missing here?

09-28-2014, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
So I ordered a V6 and 2 RF60s, and I think one of the flashes is bad. Much to my consternation, I couldn't get it to fire reliably at a shoot today. It won't even fire reliably when pressing the "test" button. Is there something I'm missing here?
Sorry to hear you having problems.

I bought a pair of RF60s for an upcoming shoot. I did a quick test fire and they were fine. But after your post, I need to make sure these suckers work correctly so that my shoot goes ok. I will let you know as I test my set.
09-29-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It won't even fire reliably when pressing the "test" button. Is there something I'm missing here?
Sounds like a bad flash... sorry. Check with Cactus about an exchange!
09-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Just a quick update.

After seeing your post I got concerned. So I set up a quick multi flash set up to check my RF60s. They worked fine so I guess I got a couple of good flashes. This week will be the real test. I have three days of product shooting which would test the RF60s along with a couple of Pentax flashes on V6 triggers in a real life assignment setting.

One item of note is the adjustment wheel in the back of the V6 triggers. They are very loose and easily move which changes the settings of the remote flashes. I do not like it at all. I wish they had placed the dial on the side where it cannot be accidentally adjusted. I found myself constantly checking to make sure the wheel did not move. This happens as you put your face against the camera to look through the viewfinder. It is a design flaw for an otherwise excellent product. I might end up taping the dial button to make sure it does not move accidentally.

10-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I take it the batteries are OK?

Did you try swapping the batteries between the RF60 and see whether the same copy still has issues?

Can't think of anything else, at the moment.
10-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
One item of note is the adjustment wheel in the back of the V6 triggers. They are very loose and easily move which changes the settings of the remote flashes. I do not like it at all. I wish they had placed the dial on the side where it cannot be accidentally adjusted. I found myself constantly checking to make sure the wheel did not move. This happens as you put your face against the camera to look through the viewfinder. It is a design flaw for an otherwise excellent product. I might end up taping the dial button to make sure it does not move accidentally.
A while ago, a firmware update (V1.0.173) introduced a new "dial lock" function.

Just press the dial (or the OK button) for a moment (keep it pressed) and the dial will "lock", i.e., turning it will have no effect anymore. You can temporarily unlock with by pressing a group button and turning the dial simultaneously, or fully unlock by long-pressing the dial again. The description of the feature is in the Cactus V6 firmware release notes.
10-05-2014, 03:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I take it the batteries are OK?

Did you try swapping the batteries between the RF60 and see whether the same copy still has issues?

Can't think of anything else, at the moment.

Yep, did all that. Sent it back to Adorama. They issued a refund when I asked for an exchange. . . so I'm waiting to see what they're going to do.

I plan on doing some posts with the Ricoh GR, which syncs up just fine with the Cactus' max. synch of 1/1000th/sec.

10-05-2014, 05:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I plan on doing some posts with the Ricoh GR, which syncs up just fine with the Cactus' max. synch of 1/1000th/sec.
Cool, looking forward to that.

Having only a Pentax, I could only test up to 1/180. For any faster shutter speeds, I had to use optical triggering.
10-06-2014, 04:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with Adorama. They won't ship a replacement, nor did they refund the return shipping. . .saying I must reorder the item, and of course the item has now gone up in price. 174 instead of 139.
10-07-2014, 02:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with Adorama. They won't ship a replacement, nor did they refund the return shipping. . .saying I must reorder the item, and of course the item has now gone up in price. 174 instead of 139.
Unfortunately, even in a warranty case, most dealers require you to pay for the return shipping.

However, I believe you should be entitled to a replacement. A warranty repair should not make you pay for a recent price increase.

Try sending Helen Oster a private message. She works for Adorama but represents customers with issues like you so that they get the best deal possible.

If that does not help, I'd contact Cactus and ask them whether they can help you and/or are happy with Adorama's view on the matter.
10-07-2014, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Adorama Camera Representative

Unfortunately, this is an Amazon requirement, not an Adorama requirement - we are bound by Amazon regulations which stipulate that damaged or faulty merchandise can only be refunded, and if still required by the customer, it must be re-ordered.

Last edited by Helen Oster; 10-07-2014 at 06:57 AM.
10-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Unfortunately, this is an Amazon requirement, not an Adorama requirement - we are bound by Amazon regulations which stipulate that damaged or faulty merchandise can only be refunded, and if still required by the customer, it must be re-ordered.
I guess this is a good lesson albeit a little costly for a fellow PF member. I will remember this and try to purchase directly from the merchant. I suppose they are bound to let me purchase the items for the same price if I run into a situation like this.
10-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote

Well from an end-user's perspective, Amazon policy doesn't stipulate this anywhere. The help pages are filled with references to 3rd party "returns and exchanges" nothing about refunds only, and to follow third party policy. It's a caveat worth including in your return policy : Return Policy

Thanks for helping me get this resolved BTW.

Whats the deal with the price hike anyway? Cactus selling too many of them?
10-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I guess this is a good lesson albeit a little costly for a fellow PF member. I will remember this and try to purchase directly from the merchant. I suppose they are bound to let me purchase the items for the same price if I run into a situation like this.
I'm certain that if the flash had been bought from gadgetinfinity that they would have simply replaced the unit.
10-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Whats the deal with the price hike anyway? Cactus selling too many of them?
The initial prices were apparently introductory prices. Cactus announced the change to regular prices a while ago on their Facebook page.

P.S.: I hope you'll get a better outcome out of this. Those little things often determine whether there will be repeat business or not. I'd say a dealer would be well advised to swallow any cost (if there is any, because they should be able to get a replacement from the manufacturer for the old price) to secure the customer's satisfaction.