Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-06-2014, 12:48 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nice try, Lens Beginner.

Sorry, I don't believe you.

You talked about a 4 stop ND and a ten stop ND, and got called to account.

As for "I've just recently shot statues in full summer daylight, against a very bright sky, with the pop up flash (that I had with me), no filters at 1/180, f/8, ISO 200.", these sorts of shots were metering around 1/6000s at ISO100 at f2.8 late in the afternoon yesterday:
I'm sorry you don't believe me, however I'm telling the truth. I guess the difference must be related to the angle of the sun with respect to the photograph.
Besides, between 1/6000 and 1/180 there's only 5 stops (1/3000, 1/1500, 1/750, 1/375->1/350, 1/187.5->1/180), so my point remains valid.
Then again, maybe you'd rather use an HSS capable flash than an inconvenient variable ND filter, but that's an issue of personal preference.

Sorry about size and watermark, I've always been paranoid, even about snapshots that every tourist in the world has made identical to mine... dynamic range is jpeg, but just so you understand that I'm not lying.
That day I forgot my sunglasses and I've been squinting the whole day.

10-06-2014, 12:58 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice! I like the subject and the shot, LB.

With multiple stops of ND, some people get blue-violet colour shifts.

HSS can halve the flash distance, but unfortunately putting a good expensive variable filter on the lens (and you will need one for each size) cuts the flash as many stops as the ambient, which isn't true of changing the shutter speed.

Last edited by clackers; 10-06-2014 at 01:05 AM.
10-06-2014, 01:41 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nice! I like the subject and the shot, LB.

With multiple stops of ND, some people get blue-violet colour shifts.

HSS can halve the flash distance, but unfortunately putting a good expensive variable filter on the lens (and you will need one for each size) cuts the flash as many stops as the ambient, which isn't true of changing the shutter speed.
Thanks. I shot it RAW and made only minor adjustments. EXIFs are included, and will confirm what I said.

I don't actually need one for each size, since my lenses span from 49mm to (planned purchase, don't have it yet) 58mm.
I only need a set of good 58mm filters and two step-up rings (49mm to 52, 49 to 58), and given the sizes I shouldn't get vignetting (for added safety, most of my 49mm-threaded lenses are FF SMC-M, so I wouldn't get vignetting even with a moderate step down).

As far as the costs are concerned, I personally find that NDs are useful in a wide range of applications, while HSS is - at least to me - kind of a one-trick pony...
I rarely use my flash at more than 1/16, and wouldn't need much pop under those bright daylight conditions anyway (I like flash to be subtle, just like in your double bass player shot), so for me low power is not a concern.