Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Closed eyes when using the flash

I got a AF-540fgz flash for Christmas, and I absolutely love it. The one problem I'm having is taking pictures of my dog with the flash pointed at him, I always get his eyes closed. If I bounce the flash he keeps his eyes open, but sometimes there isn't anything to bounce off of.

Has anybody else had this problem and figured out how to solve it? I've tried changing the curtain sync, but that doesn't seem to have any affect, and turning the red eye on doesn't help either.

Maybe I've just taken too many pictures of the poor dog and he knows what's coming!

01-30-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Must have dogs from the same kennel! your last paragraph is all too correct; the dog is a favorite and easy target.

Get the flash off camera and soften it with a bounce, a diffusor or even a small umbrella. Or just find some good sunlight.
01-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I never thought about using the flash off camera (doh!!!). Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.
01-30-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Has to do with the preflash with P-TTL, he blinks on the preflash, and when the main flash hits and the shutter goes, his eyes are closed.

Try setting it to Auto Flash or Manual flash instead of P-TTL (may take a bit more work) - see if it goes away.

01-30-2007, 04:49 PM   #5

I have been experimenting quite a bit with my AF360 FGZ and one thing that has helped me quite abit is putting a diffuser on the flash head while it is pointed straight up. It spreads the light out in every direction and gives a pretty nice soft light. It works even when there is no ceiling low enough to bounce off of or the ceiling is too dark. It also works well in manual with a manual focus lens.

i made a couple of different diffusers one out of a Ziploc container and one out of a "frosted" or semi-opaque plastic tub. Or you can buy a Sto Fen or Lightsphere or one of those types of diffusers.

Good luck,

Ed
01-31-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you ccallana & Ed for the suggestions. I will try them both!