Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2014, 06:45 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Question about tripod mounting plate

Here is a photo of the "mounting plate" from my Manfrotto compact tripod model MKC3-H01. Can anyone tell me the purpose and use of the red stud or pin in the front of the plate? The way it protrudes from the plane of the plate prevents level mounting of camera, and causes the camera to tilt slightly upward. Obviously the tripod head can be adjusted accordingly to offset this induced tilt, but my concern is know why the red plastic stud is included at all.

Oddly, the Manfrotto user instructions do not show this red pin at all:
http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/2747/media_document/live_2/instructi...pdf?1339703342

Since the instructions do not show the red pin, I am supposing it is safe to remove it. As for purpose, my guess is that perhaps this particular unit is designed for a camera or camcorder that has a corresponding female receptacle to help hold the imager unit more securely, but that other cameras/camcorders not having such a feature do not need the red pin--just my best guess!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by ivanvernon; 10-11-2014 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Added information.
10-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Usually that plate is for Video cams, they have a hole for it. Prevents the camera from turning on the plate.
I don't recommend using it like that as you can damage the mount of your camera. Either get a proper plate for your DSLR
or remove the pin.
10-11-2014, 07:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Usually that plate is for Video cams, they have a hole for it. Prevents the camera from turning on the plate.
I don't recommend using it like that as you can damage the mount of your camera. Either get a proper plate for your DSLR
or remove the pin.
Thanks Bob. That is about what I had decided about the purpose of the pin. I will see if I can remove it without damaging the plate.
10-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a couple of old tripods that have spring loaded pins; they lock a video cam in place but retract when a still camera is attached. I'm a little surprised that a top name product wouldn't have that simple feature.

10-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I have a couple of old tripods that have spring loaded pins; they lock a video cam in place but retract when a still camera is attached. I'm a little surprised that a top name product wouldn't have that simple feature.
You are right. However, I tapped the pole lightly with a punch and hammer and out it popped.