Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
Forum Member

AF540FGZ - won't stay on hot shoe

My AF540FGZ has been getting progressively worse as far as staying clipped on to the hot shoe.

Now, it seems, that the little lock won't keep it on the shoe at all. Even with the lock turned all the way, I can easily slide it off the shoe. This has caused me problems during shoots as it has come slightly loose and lost electrical contact.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions besides sending it in for repair?

Thanks!

05-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No but mine got stuck on and had to go to Pentax to get it removed 9 days so far without my K10 or 540
05-16-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
As I look closer (and read about the locking pin issue where the flash gets stuck on the camera) I can see that my locking pin isn't going up and down.

The little plastic "switch" that moves the pin up and down is no longer spring loaded (as it appears it must have once been).

And the the locking knob also seems to be pretty darn loose--I would have thought it should work even with the locking pin.

Any thoughts?
05-16-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Is it still under warrenty? May be worth sending back to have fixed if it seems unstable on the camera.

05-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ksignorini Quote
As I look closer (and read about the locking pin issue where the flash gets stuck on the camera) I can see that my locking pin isn't going up and down.

The little plastic "switch" that moves the pin up and down is no longer spring loaded (as it appears it must have once been).

And the the locking knob also seems to be pretty darn loose--I would have thought it should work even with the locking pin.

Any thoughts?
If you look at the photos in the recent threads on removing the locking pin

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/26752-540-fgz-s...st-mortem.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/6874-flash-totally-stuck-hotshoe.html

you can see that there is a plastic armature that makes the entire pin assembly work. The plastic arm is subject to stress failure - and without that the pin just doesn't move. Usually the failure happens when the flash is ON the camera, resulting in the dreaded perma-mount 540 syndrome.

My thoughts are you got lucky and the pin assembly broke with the flash off-camera.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-16-2008 at 07:26 PM.
05-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Which sounds great, except that the flash won't stay on the camera.
05-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
Inactive Account

...would i be better off with a Metz 58 considering all these problems EVERYONE seems to be having?
05-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm on my way to the store right now to send my 540 in for warranty repair. I'll be ordering a Metz 58 as soon as B&H reopens tonight.

Wanna buy a 540, used, but repaired once it's back?

05-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

edit, the spam's been deleted already

Great work there Mods