Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #1

Flash recommendation for K100D - P-TTL or Auto?

My K100D is going to be used by a technically challenged family member to shoot my own wedding. Fortunately they are not the only photographer, but I figure for best results it's probably best to invest in a flash of some kind.

Now some of the scenes are going to be outside without shade and shot against a daytime sky, so I need something that will work well for fill. Because of this alone I'm thinking I might need something that supports high speed sync? I have no experience with TTL yet, only manual and thyristor based units, will a P-TTL unit get me the best results here? Is P-TTL more idiot proof?

So basically what I need is:

- Good fill performance in high contrast scenes
- Can be used by someone who is technically inept
- Tilt and Swivel head
- Reliability
- Good value for money.

After days of trawling the net for info I am still looking so any recommendations based on experience would be most welcome. At the moment I am tending towards the Metz 48 AF1, but even this is stretching the budget a little. The Pentax 540 looks wonderful but simply costs as much as I paid for the camera and two kit lenses so is a little hard to justify...

Also as prices in Australia are just ridiculously high (double and beyond US or HK) can you good folks recommend any good online dealers who a) Know that Pentax exists and b) Offer good value?

Many thanks.

05-21-2008, 10:34 PM   #2

Just from you screp's sound like you need a Pro.

Last edited by Colt1917; 05-21-2008 at 10:50 PM.
05-22-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I fear, there is no alternative for you, than to invest in a capable P-TTL flash unit, because fill-flash works like a treat with P-TTL. I have many Metz flash guns, including the 54-MZ4, which supports nearly all Pentax flash functions. But I bought it only, because I can use it with my other Metz flashes within their own wireless system. Otherwise I would recommend either the 360 FGZ or 540 FGZ as the most fool-proof solution.

Ben
05-23-2008, 05:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
Cheers Ben, now I can feel better about parting with some decent cash..