Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2014, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
So did you photograph the surface of the softbox straight on, lowering the exposure enough to see darkish areas develop?
Exactly.

As you want to confirm the evenness of the illumination, I'd go down with the exposure until you see some gradation.
That's what I did, and what I saw was slight darkening in the corners, and then I began to see the texture of the front diffuser itself.

I'm struggling to visualise this as a forward-firing design normally does not have anything inside the softbox.
That's the whole idea of these softboxes. I believe these images will help:

11-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I believe these images will help:
Thanks for sharing the images. Makes sense now.
12-22-2014, 06:05 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well this has been a learning experience.
  1. I went on Amazon and read loads of reviews.
  2. Bought some Yongnou RF-603II radio triggers; after reading reviews on Pentax Forums I made sure I got the Nikon version as these work with Pentax cameras while the Canon version doesn't.
  3. Found a light stand that had good reviews and was at the cheaper end.
  4. Bought one of those (a Dynasun) on eBay because it was cheaper than buying it from the same supplier on Amazon.
  5. Sent it back because it was junk and did not match the description; I want something I can use more than ten times thank you very much...
  6. Ordered a Westcott 8 foot stand. This I will keep, it's much, much better made. I am fairly likely to order another.
  7. Ordered a taller Lastolite stand (9 feet 6 inches).

I'm nowhere near finished this little buying spree but the experience of buying the Dynasun stand was interesting. Rave reviews from lots of buyers on Amazon meant nothing; it was crap. It rattled and was obviously weak and unstable even supporting nothing but itself. It also didn't reach the maximum height promised and couldn't be set as low as promised either. I'll ignore most Amazon reviewers in future. The Westcott is in a different league, it is solid and feels as if it will last, and it will actually set up so it is eight feet tall, as described. I will probably stick to the well-known brands with good reputations from now on; they got those reputations by making good gear after all. Next some umbrellas and then a softbox, maybe two. For the umbrellas I am looking at Lastolite, Hobo, Kood and maybe Westcott. Kood make some interesting umbrellas including one range that seems pretty much unique. They have silvered surfaces with glass microbeads in the material, making for an extremely high reflectivity. When you want a strong higher contrast light they would be superb. Also the smaller light loss would be useful when using heavily coloured gels on a flash, to reduce further light loss from the umbrella.

The Lastolite stand has not yet arrived but I know Lastolite products are extremely well made, even the carrying cases they provide with their products are better than other brands. I got my Lastolite stand used, but the eBay seller had 100% positive feedback and if the stand is typical Lastolite quality it will be superb; who cares if it has a few signs of use on it?

The Yongnou flash triggers are great. They are reliable, so far firing 100% of the time, and will work at a decent distance and through brick walls. Just what I needed to avoid lots of cables.

Thanks to all who contributed so far to this thread. As suggested I am trying to buy decent quality kit rather than the absolute cheapest, though with my budget that is tricky.

It's going to be interesting having my own lighting set instead of using the college gear for portraits. I'm trying to build a much more flexible set than the very basic kit I am able to use at the college.

Edit to add: OK, the Lastolite stand has arrived; it's superb, even better than the Westcott. Many components that are plastic on the Westcott stand are metal on the Lastolite one, and the Lastolite stand is also air cushioned so it is very smooth in use. I'll still probably get another Westcott 8 foot stand, as it is cheaper and I don't need two 9.5 foot stands, one of those is plenty.

Last edited by Fire Angel; 01-01-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Additional information.
12-23-2014, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That's the whole idea of these softboxes. I believe these images will help:
Thanks for posting these images; that item just got added to my list of products to be considered.

12-31-2014, 09:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

For portability, you might want to consider the Fstoppers Flash Disc. I think there are some Ebay sellers shipping to the UK. I just received mine today and I'm loving it! So much more convenient to set up than a softbox, no poles sticking out so you can get it as close as possible to your subject, and lightweight enough that I can use my telepathically-activated light stand (aka left arm). Obviously it's not going to replace a conventional softbox for certain applications, but it's another interesting tool you might want to consider.
01-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
For portability, you might want to consider the Fstoppers Flash Disc. I think there are some Ebay sellers shipping to the UK. I just received mine today and I'm loving it! So much more convenient to set up than a softbox, no poles sticking out so you can get it as close as possible to your subject, and lightweight enough that I can use my telepathically-activated light stand (aka left arm). Obviously it's not going to replace a conventional softbox for certain applications, but it's another interesting tool you might want to consider.
Thanks, I'll put that on my list of items for consideration. It won't be part of my first batch of purchases because I think on-camera flash will be a rare occurrence, but if that turns out to be wrong the Flash Disc would be very handy.
01-01-2015, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fire Angel Quote
Thanks, I'll put that on my list of items for consideration. It won't be part of my first batch of purchases because I think on-camera flash will be a rare occurrence, but if that turns out to be wrong the Flash Disc would be very handy.
It's actually awful for on-camera flash, IMO. Loses too many stops and the images generally turn out looking too flash-y.

I've seen it used on booms for beauty and product photography. The photo below was taken with a handheld off-camera flash.

01-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #23

Original Poster
It's actually awful for on-camera flash, IMO. Loses too many stops and the images generally turn out looking too flash-y.

I've seen it used on booms for beauty and product photography. The photo below was taken with a handheld off-camera flash.
OK, having seen that and read the extra information you've given me I'll take it off my shopping list. Maybe there's nothing wrong with that photo, but it doesn't contain the kind of lighting I want to put in my images. An umbrella with three one to three flashguns in it will be more like it for single light setups. It's kind of interesting that I've never seen a photo taken with un-bounced on-camera flash that I wish I had taken, regardless of modifiers. Bounced on-camera flash yes, but that's another set of skills for the photographer to practise...

Thanks for the extra info, you possibly saved me from wasting some of my meagre budget.

---------- Post added 01-01-15 at 08:43 PM ----------

Oh, and for those who've bought an Fstoppers Flash Disc and love it, I am not saying it was a waste of your money, just that it would be a waste of mine as it wouldn't help me get the results I am after. We're not all after the same thing, that's for sure...

01-01-2015, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Glad I could help. Different goals call for different tools.

Just to make sure it's the wrong quality of light and not the amateurishness of my skills, here's a Flickr group demonstrating use of the flash disc: https://www.flickr.com/groups/2767704@N21/

Last edited by JibbaJab; 01-01-2015 at 02:19 PM.
01-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #25

Original Poster
Glad I could help. Different goals call for different tools.

Just to make sure it's the wrong quality of light and not the amateurishness of my skills, here's a Flickr group demonstrating use of the flash disc: https://www.flickr.com/groups/2767704@N21/
It's not you, you've done just fine. However that's not a huge object and looking closely the fall-off from right to left side of the picture is clearly visible. That shows that the light source, though spread much better than with the unmodified flash, is still not a large enough source; a 40 inch umbrella placed much further away would not show that much fall-off across such a small object. That's partly what I'm after, light sources sufficiently large that fall-off isn't too obvious across a person's face or body, or even across two people close together. It calls for large modifiers, so I'll just have to carry them.

The link was a little unfair to you as well, most of those images were experienced professionals using the flash disc to provide subtle levels of fill-flash, and you were using it to provide your main light; a much tougher test!