Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2014, 06:19 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Given your responses to suggestions by others actually submitting product suggestions one might think it was. The first one didn't have the power levels you would recommend, the second didn't swivel so prey tell what actual flash products would you recommend to the OP that had P-ttl compatability, the power levels you'd recommend, swivels 180, internal wireless slave and just for cost factor sake we'll leave off hss capability for just around $100.00 or less?

11-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Given your responses to suggestions by others actually submitting product suggestions one might think it was. The first one didn't have the power levels you would recommend, the second didn't swivel so prey tell what actual flash products would you recommend to the OP that had P-ttl compatability, the power levels you'd recommend, swivels 180, internal wireless slave and just for cost factor sake we'll leave off hss capability for just around $100.00 or less?
Meeting all these criteria seems difficult. Maybe if a used Sigma flash shows up somewhere or he finds a screamer deal on some other flash used.
11-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Meeting all these criteria seems difficult. Maybe if a used Sigma flash shows up somewhere or he finds a screamer deal on some other flash used.
The Opteka EF-790 DG SUPER TTL is designed to work with the all Pentax digital SLR cameras, It has a maximum guide number of 148 feet or 45 meter at 85mm focal length (ISO 100).The projection angle of the flashgun is set automatically to match the len's focal length ranging from 24mm wide angle to 85mm medium telephoto. It also incorporates a built-in reflecting plate and diffuser that can be slid out from the top of the flash head for soft lighting effects. The bounce flash head can be tilted 90° upwards and can be swiveled 180° to the left and 90° to the right. In addition, the flash can also be set manually at 6 different power output levels or can be utilized as a wireless slave.
Features:
- Bounce & swivel head - Flash can be tilted 90° upwards and also can be swiveled 180° to the left and 90° to the right
- AF assist - Autofocus auxiliary lamp helps the camera to focus in low-light
- Illuminated LCD panel
- Built in Reflecting Plate and Diffuser
- Front and Rear Curtain Synchronization
- Battery-saving mode shuts down power after 5 minutes
- 1 Year Warranty
$49.95

I got one of these for the family member that purchased my K50 from me who is a beginner. It works for them just fine.
11-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #19
Pentaxian

The Opteka EF-790 DG SUPER TTL is designed to work with the all Pentax digital SLR cameras, It has a maximum guide number of 148 feet or 45 meter at 85mm focal length (ISO 100).The projection angle of the flashgun is set automatically to match the len's focal length ranging from 24mm wide angle to 85mm medium telephoto. It also incorporates a built-in reflecting plate and diffuser that can be slid out from the top of the flash head for soft lighting effects. The bounce flash head can be tilted 90° upwards and can be swiveled 180° to the left and 90° to the right. In addition, the flash can also be set manually at 6 different power output levels or can be utilized as a wireless slave.
Features:
- Bounce & swivel head - Flash can be tilted 90° upwards and also can be swiveled 180° to the left and 90° to the right
- AF assist - Autofocus auxiliary lamp helps the camera to focus in low-light
- Illuminated LCD panel
- Built in Reflecting Plate and Diffuser
- Front and Rear Curtain Synchronization
- Battery-saving mode shuts down power after 5 minutes
- 1 Year Warranty
$49.95

I got one of these for the family member that purchased my K50 from me who is a beginner. It works for them just fine.
Then the Opteka is definitely the bargain flash purchase for K-50 users.

11-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #20
Pentaxian

what actual flash products would you recommend to the OP that had P-ttl compatability, the power levels you'd recommend, swivels 180, internal wireless slave and just for cost factor sake we'll leave off hss capability for just around $100.00 or less?
The OP did not ask for P-TTL specifically.

I provided the OP with pointers to threads I found relevant to his question and the OP thanked me for that. I'm not sure how I deserve your questioning.

The OP may or may not come to the conclusion that it is better to save more money or buy a used flash (the latter being a viable solution, as flashguns rarely develop issues, from my experience).

Battery-saving mode shuts down power after 5 minutes
I hope this is an optional feature on the Opteka.

If the power saving cannot be disabled, it will be a source of annoyance, as many AF 360 FGZ users will testify.
11-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #21
Pentaxian

The OP did not ask for P-TTL specifically.

No the OP didn't but why not provide them with a product with that option if it is within the price point with which I have provided with first hand knowledge it would work with his camera. I do believe the OP made the request for potential product suggestions for consideration.

I provided the OP with pointers to threads I found relevant to his question and the OP thanked me for that. I'm not sure how I deserve your questioning.

Yes the OP did. I do believe you do, it's much easier to come up with feature objections to what others provide but harder to provide solutions along with those feature objections sometimes that meet the requester's pricing . You are objecting to features on a suggested product that does not meet your criteria hence the questioning if you could come up with a product within the price point with those features, for which you have chose not to answer. We both know why because there isn't a product with those features existing new or used in any kind of decent condition for around $100.00.

The OP may or may not come to the conclusion that it is better to save more money or buy a used flash (the latter being a viable solution, as flashguns rarely develop issues, from my experience).

Yes the OP may. You see what I object to is the highfalutin attitude that some have in most everything purchased has to be the latest greatest most feature laden product and the hold off until you can buy it new or used attitude when there are products available for a livable fraction of a cost that some can enjoy with slightly lessor features while they save for something better and yet those products get pooh poohed by some. Is it nice to have, sure but not mandatory.

I hope this is an optional feature on the Opteka.

Nope, just like many other recommended inexpensive to moderately priced flashes

If the power saving cannot be disabled, it will be a source of annoyance, as many AF 360 FGZ users will testify.

Come on really? We're talking about a $50.00 flash heck my $255.00 reduced price Sigma doesn't have it but my AF 540fgz's do. Those can be bought used now on Keh for around $230.00 which I believe is much more than the OP's budget at present.

Sure it's an annoyance mostly with off camera use but that doesn't render all of the flashes not haviing this feature not worth buying or being used with a degree of success. To think otherwise is silly as there are too many others successfully using them. To me sometimes others can get the experience and joy of learning flash photography by spending less and getting the most bang for their bucks even without having all of the features more experienced photographers require then later on upgrade as their experience and budget needs change but hey I'm just a 56 year enthusiast so what do I know. .
11-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #22
Pentaxian

hey I'm just a 56 year enthusiast so what do I know.
Typo? Recently you said 66.

Come on really? We're talking about a $50.00 flash
Buying a $50 flash that has a power saving feature that cannot be turned off would be $50 spent the wrong way, AFAIC. If one absolutely needs a gadget and does not have the funds to buy something which won't turn out to be frustrating then by all means one should buy something cheap. Often one will buy the more useful versions later anyhow, so in the end will have spent more money.

This is not about "the absolute latest and greatest", it is just about avoiding some decisions that are likely to bite you later on. P-TTL, for instance, is not necessary, AFAIC, but certain basic features that allow frustration free operation are.

YMMV.

We both know why...
I disagree.

You see what I object to is the highfalutin attitude...
I'm out. Thanks.

11-18-2014, 05:59 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Typo? Recently you said 66.
Nope, had you read it correctly it states 56 year enthusiast which indicates how long I have been shooting photos and into photograpy. 66 is the age you read recently.

so in the end will have spent more money.
Yes they will but I'll toss $50.00 so I can have something that will do the job now, live with the slight frustrations until I can come up with the money to buy what i really would like to have and suggest products for people who may be of like mind, that's where we differ. Heck I'd blow more than that on a night out on the town. I'll bet I could take that flash, put it on or off my K5 ll's and take photos using it and you wouldn't know any more the difference than if I had used one of my AF 540fgz's.

it is just about avoiding some decisions that are likely to bite you later on. P-TTL, for instance, is not necessary, AFAIC, but certain basic features that allow frustration free operation are.
Yep I would agree P-ttl isn't necessary but it does have it's use, purpose and convenience. Yes I agree certain basic features are important but most everything you mention afaic in reality are convenience features that make it less frustrating with the exception of power levels which by the way my AF 540fgz's only have 7, one more then the $50.00 flash. I've used flashes without these convenience features too many years to buy into them being must haves but I don't disagree with your logic in having them making it easier.

Once again we differ on thought process and opinion, which is a good thing.
Thanks, I'm done too.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 11-18-2014 at 06:37 AM.
11-19-2014, 03:18 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Could we please get back to helping the OP?

Thanks.