Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #1

Expensive or cheapo chinese?

I've been looking at reflectors/modifiers for a studio strobe flash. Are there any reasons NOT to buy the much cheaper chinese snoots/reflectors/barn doors found on Ebay. I mean, are they not designed scientifically (and therefore won't disperse/control the light properly) or is it the case that strobe manufacturers just want to rip you off by overcharging for a far-eastern made item with their name stamped on it? I'm not thinking of buying something with a "universal" fitment, I'll buy Bowens fit items but I don't want to spend £30-£40 when a chinese knock-off costs £10-£20 and might just do the same job..

11-17-2014, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
If I can give advice, I would like to note that your system is worth so much how much its weakest element. Therefore, if you can afford it, you should buy the original Bowens equipment because it is durable, superior quality and very practical. You especially appreciate the Bowens Quickring solution if you have to use your softboxes outside the studio. And you'll appreciate, for sure, the quality of light that gives Softlight Reflector with Bowens diffuser or Sunlight Reflector.
11-20-2014, 06:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by airbass Quote
If I can give advice, I would like to note that your system is worth so much how much its weakest element.
I agree with that.

QuoteOriginally posted by airbass Quote
Therefore, if you can afford it, you should buy the original Bowens equipment
I disagree with that. Bowens is one brand, among many, that delivers good products.

To the OP, the answer depends. If you just want an umbrella and basic support, eBay (or dealextreme) is fine. If you want more complex stuff like a softbox, the durability of eBay products can be questionned, I'd go at least for something made by Fotodiox or the like, which at least offer a warranty and support (I use their EZ-Pro softbox, it's excellent and quite well-made). I had to use support and it was both fast and courteous. More expensive products will be great too, you just have to decide how much you want to spend on your hobby.
11-21-2014, 03:05 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I agree with that.

I disagree with that. Bowens is one brand, among many, that delivers good products.

To the OP, the answer depends. If you just want an umbrella and basic support, eBay (or dealextreme) is fine. If you want more complex stuff like a softbox, the durability of eBay products can be questionned, I'd go at least for something made by Fotodiox or the like, which at least offer a warranty and support (I use their EZ-Pro softbox, it's excellent and quite well-made). I had to use support and it was both fast and courteous. More expensive products will be great too, you just have to decide how much you want to spend on your hobby.
I noticed that you use some Godox kit. Over here (UK), there are two companies that I know of who sell Godox manufactured strobe heads. One of them sells straightforward rebranded stuff, while the other uses Godox to manufacture to their own specifications. Both these companies sell all the accessories for the heads and I'd put money on these being better quality than basic Chinese stuff so I'm thinking of going with them. Thanks for confirming my decision tho'.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.png
BTW, before someone jumps down my throat, I only discovered this info yesterday, so the question was valid when asked.

11-21-2014, 06:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I do use Godox flashes (and Amazon rebranded Neewer, which are identical). I am very satisfied with the flashes. If you want more info, I wrote this review for Pentaxforums:

Review: Godox Ving V850 System - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

However, I have not used the rest of their studio equipment, so I cannot really comment on it.