Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Yongnuo RF-603N II & Neewer TT560?

I have the Neewer TT560 Speedlight, which works great for the price, and have purchased a Yongnuo RF-603N II set to trigger it remotely. The triggers seem to be working properly talking to each other according to the LED lights, but I can't get the flash to fire, even if the flash is on, awake and in manual mode.

I'm not sure if I have a defective unit, a user error problem or if these two items are incompatible. Has anyone used these two together successfully?

11-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Does the TT560 fire on a camera?

If so, it should fire on the radio trigger as well.

Unless someone will chime in reporting on a similar experience, I think you'll have to find someone with whom you can do cross testing, e.g., put their flash on to your trigger to see whether the trigger works.
11-18-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, the flash fires on camera. Maybe I have defective triggers... I'll give it all another whirl today and see if I was missing some critical step last night.
11-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Turns out it works if you use the shutter, but won't test fire the flash by itself. I can live with that.

11-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
Turns out it works if you use the shutter, but won't test fire the flash by itself.
The joys of Yongnuo quirks...

Good job you figured it out.

The test button on the trigger may work when the trigger is mounted on a camera. It may have to be a Nikon, though.

This is why I prefer Cactus products; they are much more compatible with each other and Pentax and more straightforward to use.
08-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #6

Ok, hereís a supplementary: Iíve just bought a Neewer nw630 to use on my K10d (and a Canon 50d, sorry about the C word), only to find it endorsed as ďfor Sony cameras.Ē
Both my cameras are elsewhere so I canít try it, but will it work?
08-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gingerthecat Quote
Ok, hereís a supplementary: Iíve just bought a Neewer nw630 to use on my K10d (and a Canon 50d, sorry about the C word), only to find it endorsed as ďfor Sony cameras.Ē

A little Google work indicates that the NW640 supports Sony's proprietary Multi Interface Shoe as a dedicated TTL flash. As such, it might support manual flash from either of your two cameras, but probably not much more.

Steve
08-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Gingerthecat Quote
Ok, hereís a supplementary: Iíve just bought a Neewer nw630...
Just a quick note on Neewer. They don't make any flashes. They rebrand flashes made by other Chinese companies. The Neewer TT560 mentioned long ago at the top of this thread (and, I suspect the Amazon Basics flash) is probably a Godox TT560.

As near as I can tell? That NW630 is a Triopo G1500.

QuoteQuote:
... to use on my K10d (and a Canon 50d, sorry about the C word), only to find it endorsed as ďfor Sony cameras.Ē
Depends on your definition of work, as stevebrot mentioned. TTL-capable flashes are dedicated to a specific camera brand, because all the camera hotshoes use different pin/contact arrangements and electronic communication protocols. It's like lens mounts. Aside from Panasonic and Olympus both sharing four-thirds protocols, no two are identical:

They're all ISO-compliant, so the big center contact is sync and the rails are ground, so firing the flash is system agnostic. But all the other communication on the hotshoe is proprietary and specific to the brand system.

The Sony hotshoe interface is also weirder than everybody else's. The non-sync signals are done on the front edge of the foot plate/hotshoe, not on the bottom with pins, like everybody else. But trying to use a TTL speedlight on-camera cross-brand typically means all the camera can do is to tell the fire to flash. No TTL, no HSS, no camera menu communication, etc. etc.

If you wanted P-TTL, you need a P-TTL compatible speedlight, and if you find one (e.g. Yongnuo YN-585EX, Godox V1-P or TT350-P, Metz, Sigma) it definitely won't do eTTL II on a Canon (it's okay, I use a 50D, too and do not have a problem with the C word) hotshoe as well. And vice versa; any TTL for-Canon flash won't do TTL on a Pentax hotshoe.

However. If you didn't need the flash to be P-TTL on-camera, but only off-camera, and you did need it to be TTL on a Canon camera, you could get a $110 Godox TT685-C and update its firmware to the latest version. I do not shoot Pentax, but I do shoot Panasonic and Fuji. And my TT685-C is a TTL/HSS radio slave to the Godox XPro-C transmitter on my 50D/5DMkII, the XPro-O transmitter on my Panny GX7, and the XPro-F on my Fuji X100T. It should work the same way with an XPro-P on your K10d.