Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2014, 02:27 AM   #1

need studio set-up for Saturday for a "detective story" dinner

Hello everyone,

On Saturday I have 8 friends coming over for a "detective story" dinner, so everyone will be in a costume. I would not want to miss that opportunity to take many photos including group and portraits shots

Since I have no experience whatsoever regarding studio photography I would appreciate your suggestions regarding what kind of gear I need exactly for sufficient lighting. Amazon links would be great. I am afraid for Adorama or B&H orders it is too late (I live in Germany). My budget lies somwhere around 300 EUR.

What I have:
Pentax K3, a camera tripod and Metz Mecablitz 58 AF2.

Thank you very much!!!

11-19-2014, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

You could do just fine with your Metz 58 AF-2.

Just make sure you use the wall or ceiling bounce technique to get much better light.

The link above links to part of a description that references a site describing the "Black Foamie Thing". Costs next to nothing but is one of the most effective "light modifiers" you can get for your portable flash.
11-19-2014, 03:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
thank you very much can you perhaps estimate if the light of the flash will be enough for group shots?
I will go to DIY store today after the work and look for black foamie thing ))

I was in NZ in August So beautiful! And in Wellington I was several times in a row in Embassy Theatre - such a cool cinema! I miss it. I wish I could be there for the third Hobbit movie premiere!
11-19-2014, 04:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twophase Quote
thank you very much can you perhaps estimate if the light of the flash will be enough for group shots?
You should be OK, if you are prepared to increase the ISO as necessary.

For normal sized images, you can go up to ISO 3200 or so easily.

I will go to DIY store today after the work and look for black foamie thing ))
You can also try an art shop and ask for thin foam rubber ("Moosgummi"). I got mine in Germany and the brand was "Crea-Soft".

I was in NZ in August So beautiful! And in Wellington I was several times in a row in Embassy Theatre - such a cool cinema!
Next time let me know when you visit.

11-19-2014, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
You can also try an art shop and ask for thin foam rubber ("Moosgummi"). I got mine in Germany and the brand was "Crea-Soft".
Thanks, "Moosgummi" by Crea-Soft helps a lot!

QuoteQuote:
Next time let me know when you visit.
Will do

I am curious about how the photos will turn out. IŽll post a couple of them here.
11-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have two TTL speedlights that I use for just an occasion. I bounce off the ceiling or wall for the on-camera flash and use the other flash set on the ground behind people that also bounces off the a ceiling. That covers a lot of area for a group shot, etc and it over-powers the often mixed color temperature of the house lights to get a nice daylight color temp shot.

Edit:

I'd also note for people wearing costumes with hats you may want to tape on a vertical bounce card ( for ceiling bounce) that also will direct some light forward on the face of the subjects. You'd do this if your flash does not have a built-in bounce card. I'd post an example I did at a Halloween party but I'm afraid people here will get all bent out of shape because it was not done on a Ricoh camera body with a Sony sensor and Sigma lens (what's Ricoh unique about the resulting image in a setup like that , I wonder )

Last edited by tuco; 11-19-2014 at 10:34 AM.
11-20-2014, 03:24 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I have two TTL speedlights that I use for just an occasion. I bounce off the ceiling or wall for the on-camera flash and use the other flash set on the ground behind people that also bounces off the a ceiling. That covers a lot of area for a group shot, etc and it over-powers the often mixed color temperature of the house lights to get a nice daylight color temp shot.
Thank you very much for your advice! IŽll see if I can borrow a flash from a friend. But actually it is a good idea to get one since I have a feeling that more "detective story" dinner parties will follow

Edit:

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I'd also note for people wearing costumes with hats you may want to tape on a vertical bounce card ( for ceiling bounce) that also will direct some light forward on the face of the subjects. You'd do this if your flash does not have a built-in bounce card. I'd post an example I did at a Halloween party but I'm afraid people here will get all bent out of shape because it was not done on a Ricoh camera body with a Sony sensor and Sigma lens (what's Ricoh unique about the resulting image in a setup like that , I wonder )
That is a very good point - I will certainly try the bounce card too, thank you