Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I suspect it is Yongneu that is doing them in. Hard to beat their price on a fantastic, robust flash unit.
As far as I can tell, their flash business returns a profit. It's the TV side that hasn't weathered the economic downturn. So I'm guessing it will probably survive.

11-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Ouch! not a good news for Pentax lovers...
They (Pentax) really need to change something in the way flash works... like getting TTL back (without the "P-"), or the rear-curtain thing with manual flashes...
It's gonna be all the more relevant if Metz actually goes under and shuts down...
TTL isn't simple. It requires a metering system input that relies on reflections from the sensor. This is in addition to whatever sensors you have in the normal location. Ultimately the cost and the reflectance of the materials may have done this method in. Pentax is not the only vendor to abandon the traditional TTL model. I imagine that even if we still had TTL the metering pattern would be very primitive - I can't imagine high density multi-zone metering being rational with TTL. Essentially you would be building a second complete sensor system that relied on reflected rather than direct light.

Here's on old thread that talks about the issues to a degree. It's not conclusive but it at least shows some of the confusion and issues.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/99153-difference...l-flash-3.html
11-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
TTL isn't simple. It requires a metering system input that relies on reflections from the sensor. This is in addition to whatever sensors you have in the normal location. Ultimately the cost and the reflectance of the materials may have done this method in. Pentax is not the only vendor to abandon the traditional TTL model. I imagine that even if we still had TTL the metering pattern would be very primitive - I can't imagine high density multi-zone metering being rational with TTL. Essentially you would be building a second complete sensor system that relied on reflected rather than direct light.

Here's on old thread that talks about the issues to a degree. It's not conclusive but it at least shows some of the confusion and issues.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/99153-difference...l-flash-3.html
I have a Metz 48 PTTL flash, but haven't used it in 4 years or so. Now using YongNuo manual flashes and Cactus radio triggers - am happy again. Some of the new manual flashes have built-in radio triggers with central control of remote flash power levels - even better.

In short, PTTL (and apparently all-TTL) are PITA The X-TTL systems all use a preflash to measure reflectance, and that preflash often caused people to shut their eyes. So you ended up with a perfectly exposed picture with closed eyes.

I wish Pentax would go back to TTL (no preflash) or even thryister auto controlled flash systems. Anything but PTTL.
11-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I suspect it is Yongneu that is doing them in.
As others have noted, I think their TV and consumer electronics divisions were the loss-making culprits.
Maybe we will see Metz spin-off their flash and lighting operations into a new company now.

11-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I have a Metz 48 PTTL flash, but haven't used it in 4 years or so. Now using YongNuo manual flashes and Cactus radio triggers - am happy again. Some of the new manual flashes have built-in radio triggers with central control of remote flash power levels - even better.

In short, PTTL (and apparently all-TTL) are PITA The X-TTL systems all use a preflash to measure reflectance, and that preflash often caused people to shut their eyes. So you ended up with a perfectly exposed picture with closed eyes.

I wish Pentax would go back to TTL (no preflash) or even thryister auto controlled flash systems. Anything but PTTL.
Look at the bright side, you don't need red-eye reduction anymore!
11-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Yep, i overlooked that :-)
11-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #22
mee
Pentaxian

You made a funny!
11-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You made a funny!
Duh! I didn't even notice!

12-17-2014, 05:57 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

20 year ago how many people thought that Kodak would be in the state it is on now? I hope Metz pulls through,
12-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe Ricoh could get into bed with Metz and produce some fine flashes for Pentax
12-19-2014, 12:58 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I think this is Metz USA only I don't see any sign of a problem with the parent German company
12-19-2014, 01:27 AM   #27
Pentaxian

No, it's Metz Germany. The TV division is the problem.