Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2014, 04:11 AM   #1

Does Godox V850 do HSS with Pentax?

The title should say it all. Is this possible? I think not, but i'm asking to get to know.

The trigger that I bought with the flash (Godox FT-16s) does not support HSS as far as I understand.
Is there a work around this? Will a trigger that support Canon or Nikon HSS do the trick?

11-21-2014, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I fear not...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/180003-high-s...ml#post2915784

Someone else talked about Cactus V6 triggers, but they'd only dumb-trigger the flash, you'd need an intelligent flash for that...

There's a very informative and complete review from the same user (bdery) here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/godox-ving-v850-system/introduction.html
which I believe would be an interesting read.
11-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
I'm not sure if bdery 100% up to date with every feature of the flashes.

You don't need a intelligent flash to do HSS. I know there re people doing HSS with the dumb Godox AD180/360 flashes with third part triggers (Yongnou and others) with Canon and Nikon. The intelligens is in the trigger, not the flash as far as I know.

V850 and AD180/360 shares the same FT-16 trigger. So I thought maybe ...
11-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #4

I think aokatec triggers can do hss with pentax. But its not as easy as the flex-ttl5 pocket wizards for canons.

11-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
I'm not sure if bdery 100% up to date with every feature of the flashes.
With any luck bdery will weigh in on this discussion.

Steve
11-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd say there is about a 98% possibility that using the Godox Canon transmitter will not give you HSS functionality when fired from atop a Pentax camera. I say this because a) Pentax cameras do not speak the proprietary Canon digital TTL protocol, and b) the pins on the hotshoe don't line up. Godox will have accomplished an engineering miracle if they managed to get this trick to work. The V850 does seem to be a great little workhorse of a speed light though.

The Cactus V6 transmitter won't allow you to do real HSS either, but there is way to specify a delay in milliseconds that might allow you to accomplish a trick that Pocket Wizard calls "Hypersyncing". Basically the optical slave on the V6 would pick up the light from the preflash from a camera-mounted HSS master, then wait a certain number of milliseconds and fire the Godox (ideally at full power) prior to the first curtain's movement. At full power, most speedlights have a long tail to the flash that can last, oh about 1/90th of a second. The trick would be to find the right delay so that the peak of the flash happens before the first curtain begins to open, and you are left with a more-or-less flat flash tail. To the camera's sensor this would effectively appear to be a continuous source of light. Unfortunately, like real HSS, you end up wasting a lot of the flashgun's power. This trick isn't Godox specific, it has the potential to work with any speedlight, the slower and the more powerful, the better.
11-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
You don't need a intelligent flash to do HSS. I know there re people doing HSS with the dumb Godox AD180/360 flashes with third part triggers (Yongnou and others) with Canon and Nikon.
Unfortunately, with a Pentax camera you absolutely need an HSS-capable flash, otherwise the camera will not produce a trigger signal once you exceed the sync-speed.

There are triggers for Canon and Nikon that pretend to be HSS-capable flashes but no such triggers exist for Pentax yet.
Hence, whether one uses the Aokatec triggers or the V6, one always needs one HSS-capable flash connected to the camera.

The Cactus RF-60 has a manual HSS mode so that one at least does not need off-camera HSS-capable flashes for real off-camera HSS (which has advantages over the HyperSync technique maxfield_photo described).

The Godox V850 also has an HSS mode but I do not know whether it can be engaged manually or whether it only works with the Canon-specific Godox Cells-II trigger.

11-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
using the Godox Canon transmitter will not give you HSS functionality when fired from atop a Pentax camera.
Yes, the Godox V850 must be paired with the Cells II trigger to support HSS and the Cells II is available only in Canon mount.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-21-14 at 08:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The Godox V850 also has an HSS mode but I do not know whether it can be engaged manually or whether it only works with the Canon-specific Godox Cells-II trigger.
The Godox product page says essentially that:

GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD

"High Speed Sync Triggering Provided. Up to 1/8000 second according to the camera. A high speed trigger e.g. Godox Cells II is a must."

Whether another brand will work is not know.

Steve
11-24-2014, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
With any luck bdery will weigh in on this discussion.
Here I am

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I'd say there is about a 98% possibility that using the Godox Canon transmitter will not give you HSS functionality when fired from atop a Pentax camera. I say this because a) Pentax cameras do not speak the proprietary Canon digital TTL protocol, and b) the pins on the hotshoe don't line up.
Yep.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Indeed. In order to trigger a V850 to fire in HSS, the Cells II transmitter must tell the flash to do so. In order for the transmitter to send the right command, it needs to receive that command on its contact pins. Without using tricks and cascading triggers (which might or might not be possible, I doubt it but I don't know) only a Canon camera has the right contacts and the right protocols to tell the Cells II to send the HSS command.

Now if there is a device available on the market that receive a basic "fire" command and converts it to a "fire with HSS using this particular set of exposure values" the Cells II could then be mounted on that device and tell the V850 to fire accordingly.
11-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Without using tricks and cascading triggers (which might or might not be possible, I doubt it but I don't know)...
There are no such tricks as the only device that is currently able to persuade a Pentax DSLR to fire a flash beyond the sync-speed is an HSS-capable P-TTL flash.

At least the Cactus V6 or the Cactus RF60 can use their optical triggers to either use the main flash (no manual timing required but only works up until 1/2000s or so) or the pre-flash (requires manual setting of a delay timer) to fire HSS bursts.