Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

small external flash with M42, K, M lenses?

Because the on camera pop-up flash is virtually unusable with the K, M or M42 lenses, I would like an external flash replacement for these situations.
I would like a smaller flash (with two AA batteries not 4) with Auto and Manual modes.

Recommendations?

I have currently a Metz 58 flash that works ok in Auto or Manual mode with K, M or M42 lenses, but this flash is too big to have it with me all the time.

11-23-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would you like an older flash, or a brand new one?
Older ones can be found for good prices, but you have to be careful with the voltage, so it doesn't fry your digital camera.
11-23-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Brand new flash.
11-23-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You are probably not going to find a flash that takes only two batteries* and which has anything but manual flash capabilities with lenses having no A-contacts. Having said that, what is wrong with your camera's onboard flash? Its guide number is as high as any two cell flash would be and can be used in manual mode.

Edit: I just did a quick look at B&H and they have three auto-thyristor** flashes that take two batteries. Cycle time is SLOW, but all three are smallBTW...the Bolt and Metz units appear to be the same, possibly Tumax, flashes.

Steve

* I don't know that I have ever seen a two cell flash. See above...

** Auto-thyristor flashes have a photocell built in allowing the flash to self-modulate. They work quite well with vintage lenses.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-23-2014 at 09:04 AM.
11-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think the Pentax AF-200FG hot-shoe flash is probably the smallest one available; but it still takes 4-AA batteries. For M42, K and M lenses, you just need M mode anyway.
11-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The on camera flash works only at maximum power with non-A contact lenses, it is useless for f2.8 and fill-in flash, for example. I want an external flash that I can use it in such situations.
I want a flash with real manual mode so I can adjust to 1/16 1/8 1/4 1/2 of the maximum power for example.

Thanks for the suggestions
The Sunpack flash is closer to what I want. Unfortunately its shape not allow easy attachment of light modifiers (diffuser, etc.)
11-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
I want a flash with real manual mode so I can adjust to 1/16 1/8 1/4 1/2 of the maximum power for example.
Yes, the Sunpack may do what you want, but the Bower and Metz have provision for bounce.

From what I can tell, your wish list goes something like this:
  • Pocket-sized
  • Non-P-TTL
  • Manual strength settings (2x, 1x, 1/2x, 1/4x, 1/16x, etc.)
  • Able to accept diffusers and other accessories
The first two are available and cheap. The third may be available with flashes satisfying the first two, but I could not find any. Variable output is not quite the same as "fully manual" and is generally found on the more powerful and larger units. Good luck. The fourth may be incompatible with the first. Again, good luck. I suggested the auto-thyristor flashes because they usually offer two output ranges and you can easily balance ambient to flash light with the camera aperture and/or shutter without having to calculate anything. What could be easier?

Other than that, you can manually calculate exposure with the built-in flash using guide number and estimated distance to subject.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-23-2014 at 10:53 AM.
11-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm also interested in possibly getting something smaller and lighter than my Yongnuo YN-560 III for manual, off-camera macro flash. I found a relevant discussion right here... Based on that, this manual flash could be an option. Not made a move yet though, so I'll be watching this thread.
11-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, a flash like this Meike would be ok. Too bad there are no such flashes for Pentax.
11-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm not a flash expert, but if you're using it in full manual, I think it should work fine since it just needs the firing pin... (EDIT: This was also pointed out in the thread I linked to.)

Last edited by Doundounba; 11-24-2014 at 10:52 AM.
11-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I realize that you specified "brand new flash." But I just can't help it.

A decent used copy of Pentax AF-16 is about $10. I think it fits the bill nicely.
01-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

OP: Did you wind up getting anything? In another thread, I've received confirmation that the Meike (a.k.a. Flashpoint Mini) in Nikon mount works in manual mode on Pentax cameras. However, some seem to have a very low opinion of it... So for myself I've still not found an answer to the question of finding a small manual flash with decent variable output control. I'm actually thinking of getting a used AF200T instead of buying something new. It takes 4 AAs rather than two, but is at least significantly lighter and smaller than what I have now, and has 4 levels of manual power output (full, 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8th)...

Last edited by Doundounba; 01-22-2015 at 01:25 PM.