Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #1

Manual flash and zoom

I just got a manual flash, and of course (I guess) it has a zoom funtion. Is this only relevant when you use it on camera and pointing forwards? Does it have any function when you use it off-camera and in a softbox?

In advance, thanks for any help.

11-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's always relevant.
It controls the width of the beam, so it's essential in order to control illumination of the subject.

Wide settings, wide beam, useful for large subjects, for instance. You'd also use it for background light (to wash out the seamless).
Tele settings, narrow concentrated beam. You'd use this, for instance, to get a very precise and selective hair light.

Softboxes further shape your light, so you have one more factor to consider.
A large softbox, I'd use a wide-ish setting, a small one, a narrow-ish. Depth of the softbox is also a factor, naturally.

One situation where it changes little, is when bouncing on the ceiling. However it also depends on the size and distance of the ceiling. On a very small ceiling, a wide setting would probably also hit the walls.
11-26-2014, 05:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zapper Quote
I just got a manual flash, and of course (I guess) it has a zoom funtion. Is this only relevant when you use it on camera and pointing forwards? Does it have any function when you use it off-camera and in a softbox?

In advance, thanks for any help.
Manual zoom flashes outside straight forward should be used as you would a weak snoot as it behaves exactly the same allowing you to control direction and radius of the light emitted.
Straight forward it should be used to give a higher GN for tele type lens ensureing the beam radius still exceeds the lens width. (aps-c,ff etc etc)
11-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Also remember that the zoom setting is focal length in 35mm format... so when you're using it on the hotshoe you can convert the figures and still be wide enough to cover all your image circle... e.g. with a 28mm in APS-C you can use 35mm, it's still wider than 42mm (28mm * 1.5).

11-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies!
12-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zapper Quote
Thanks for the replies!
Strobist: Lighting 101