Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #1

Sony flash on K5 - odd behaviour

Hi,

I recently bought a Viltrox JY-670 ringflash with Sony foot.
Since the flash is completely manual I planned to use either an adaptor or fire it via pc socket. Unfortunately this does not work as I do expect:

When I do fire the flash via the test-button on the unit, every press on the button results in one flash. When the flash output is set very low, I can trigger flashes in rapid succession this way.

When the flash is connected to my K5 either by PC socket or a simple ISO to Sony adapter in the hotshoe the flash does not work everytime I release the shutter.
First exposure usually fires the flash, then the flash does not fire for several exposures, then for one single exposure it fires and the cycle continues. Varying modes (X,M, etc.) or exposure time does not change anything.

When I do connect the flash via my Yongnuo RF 600 TX radio transmitter and a matching receiver to the camera, it works as it should, every exposure fires the flash.

My workaround is currently to use the ringflash with the radio transmitter which does work but is obviously a bit awkward.
I never encountered this issue before, other flashes work fine with my camera. Has anybody an idea how I can trigger the flash reliable directly by the camera?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

11-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisFe Quote
Hi,

I recently bought a Viltrox JY-670 ringflash with Sony foot.
Since the flash is completely manual I planned to use either an adaptor or fire it via pc socket. Unfortunately this does not work as I do expect:

When I do fire the flash via the test-button on the unit, every press on the button results in one flash. When the flash output is set very low, I can trigger flashes in rapid succession this way.

When the flash is connected to my K5 either by PC socket or a simple ISO to Sony adapter in the hotshoe the flash does not work everytime I release the shutter.
First exposure usually fires the flash, then the flash does not fire for several exposures, then for one single exposure it fires and the cycle continues. Varying modes (X,M, etc.) or exposure time does not change anything.

When I do connect the flash via my Yongnuo RF 600 TX radio transmitter and a matching receiver to the camera, it works as it should, every exposure fires the flash.

My workaround is currently to use the ringflash with the radio transmitter which does work but is obviously a bit awkward.
I never encountered this issue before, other flashes work fine with my camera. Has anybody an idea how I can trigger the flash reliable directly by the camera?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Have you tested the voltage of that flash to make sure you don't destroy the electronics of your camera?
11-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Have you tested the voltage of that flash to make sure you don't destroy the electronics of your camera?

Yes: 5V.

Details can be found here: Viltrox JY-670 Macro Ring Lite_JYC Technology (HK) Co., Ltd.
11-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisFe Quote
This should not happen when you use the PC socket, unless the flash is also connected to the hot-shoe.

How many pins does the hot-shoe connector have?

If there is more than one pin then perhaps the flash is erroneously telling the camera that it isn't ready to fire yet.

It may also be that the adapter somehow creates this undesired behaviour.

If the flash won't fire even though you don't have anything else but the PC sync cable connected to the camera, I can only imagine there is perhaps something funny going on, such as a negative trigger strobe voltage that confuses the camera.