Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
Inactive Account

External Flash Set-Up Questions

Hello Pentax forum, this is my first post here.

I have been shooting for few years now with my Sigma EF610 (not the super one) and i was finally decided to upgrade into more controlled flash system.

I mainly shoot portraits and events and have a budget around 150-200£. I also have little knowledge about radio transmitters work. And i do travel alot which is a big issue for me (Studying at UK but spending summers at Cyprus)

After doing some research about my problem i came up with 3 possible solutions.
A) 3x Yongnou flashes
B) Cheap Ebay strobe kits 3x 180w (inc stands and extra accessories)
C) 300w strobe + 1x Yongnou

I am leaning more towards the option A purely because of travel issues. But i fear A would limit my work at outdoors. Also i can use some help with radio transmitters too (pocket wizards way above my price range)

I would love to hear osme of your opinions!

11-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yongnou makes a radio transmitter that works with some of it's flashes. The receiver is built in on some flash models so all you need is one transmitter. You would need a receiver if you want to use other brand flashes. I've no experience with them but from all reports it is a nice setup.

Cactus makes a good set of triggers and their v6 model can control power remotely on a good selection of different brand flashes. I use their v5 model (older one) and have for maybe 3 years. Solid and reliable. I use them with a number of different flashes both Pentax, Nikon and Vivitar.

IMHO none of the other options will be any better outside. 180 watt strobes are not very powerful, neither is 300 watt for that matter. I use a 600 watt and 450 watt in the studio and consider that marginal at best.
11-26-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey Jatrax, thanks for reply.

I have read somewhere that said Yongnou 's are somewhere between 60-80watt equ. thats why i though 180/300 would be a huge improvement.

Although Cactus V6 seems very tempting, Yongnou's with build in transmitter for less than 50£ is a bargain! I can get 3x flash + transmitter + stands + diffusers less than 200£ and looks like a solid kit (not in terms of build quality ).
11-26-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If i were starting over i would probably go with yongnou myself.

It looks to be a nice system.

Outdoors depends on what you want to achieve but you need serious power to overcome the sun

11-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW I have just had a couple of the YN-560III flashes and a YN560 -TX delivered, in about 5 working days, from here . (I have no affiliation etc etc)
The flashes and transmitter work very well and are quite easy to set up in groups. The quality for both transmitter and flashes is good and a nice touch is that they have a pocket in the flash pouch reserved for the stand.
For a cheap adjustable system it's pretty hard to beat IMHO
11-27-2014, 02:29 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. I am thinking to get YN560 -TX with couple of YN560 now.

Is there any other major difference to YN560 -TX and RF603? I know TX gives control over slaves and has nikon/canon ttl + 10£ more expensive.
11-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #7

There is also YN-560 IV, which has master mode!

11-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ecem Zekai Quote
I am thinking to get YN560 -TX with couple of YN560 now.
Just make sure you get the YN-560III since it has the built in receiver.

Is there any other major difference to YN560 -TX and RF603? I know TX gives control over slaves and has nikon/canon ttl + 10£ more expensive.
Not that I'm aware of - its just a simple transmitter/receiver. (transceiver) According to the TX-560 user manual if you use a cable from the TX-560 to the camera shutter release port you can remotely use 1/2 press focus and also trigger the shutter using an RF603 or RF603II.
11-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I agree with Jatrax, if I did not already have flashes and Cactus V5 triggers, I would go with the Yongnuo triggers and flashes. I still may. $40 for a trigger and $70 for a flash is a great deal. My plan was to get the Cactus V6 triggers when they came out, and one RF60 flash. Their price increases made me rethink that however. Instead of $55 at release, the V6 are now $70, the same price as the Yongnuo flash with receiver built in.

---------- Post added 11-27-14 at 01:10 PM ----------

Has anyone seen a good usability comparison of the Cactus V6 system vs. the Yonguo YN560 system? I know the feature differences. It seems to me that the text on the Yongnuo might be bigger and easier to read.
11-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #10

The YN560 IV master flash can control the remote manual flash power, and flash zoom length, of 3 individual groups of remote YN-560 III and YN560 IV flashes (while the YN560-TX has the extra ability to control up to 6 individual groups). -

See more at: YONGNUO – YN560 IV – Flash With Radio Master Mode – Now Available | FLASH HAVOC
11-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Didn't knew that IV version was out and almost same price. I got myself 1 YN560 III and the TX to start with. If i like it i am getting the IV too.

Thanks for all the info guys
11-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
My plan was to get the Cactus V6 triggers when they came out, and one RF60 flash. Their price increases made me rethink that however.
Certainly Yongnuo is cheaper, but I'd also say that the Cactus products are in a different league when it comes to robustness, compatibility, and easy of use.

For instance, the V6 has a dial to change all power levels at once or just one power level selectively. There is a reason why we change the aperture on our cameras with a dial as opposed to using "+/-" buttons like featured by the Yongnuo YN560-TX.

The Cactus products also have quite a number of additional features that can come in quite handy and they keep adding features to the V6 through firmware updates (free of charge).

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Has anyone seen a good usability comparison of the Cactus V6 system vs. the Yonguo YN560 system?
At the time I wrote my Cactus RF60 review, the YN560-TX wasn't released yet, but there is a comparison between the RF60 and the YN560-III, including a comparison of the V6 with the (very basic) Godox triggering system.

In order to write a proper comparison between the V6 and the YN560-TX, I'd have to evaluate a YN560-TX. From what I've read about usability and compatibility issues, the YN560-TX would not fare well. Except for the price, that is.
11-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Didn't knew that IV version was out and almost same price.
Have a look at this from the other day.
Interesting take on the YN-560iv by "Lens Beginner"