Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2008, 06:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
wireless flash

i know pentax af 540 has wireless feature.
must i use the pop up flash to synchronize them? i am a k10d user and use my sunpak's with ebay triggers.
is it possible to synchronize k10d with any flash (which has wireless feature like 540 or sigma 530) without using the built-in flash???
may you elaborate about the wireless feature of the flashs like 540 or sigma 530??? are they usable with ebay triggers????
thanks

05-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

"wireless flash" refers specifically to wireless P-TTL operation.

I believe the Sigma EF-530 DG Super can act as both a wireless P-TTL master and slave, as can the AF-540FGZ and AF-360. I believe some third-party units can only act as slave but not master. The EF-530 DG ST has no optical wireless capabilities.

None of these capabilities will work with the Cactus triggers, as like all RF triggers except for the new RadioPoppers, TTL operation is not supported, only manual or auto (which uses an on-flash sensor, as opposed to TTL). Auto-metering with on-flash sensors cannot be used with multiple flashes. If you're using the Cactus triggers with more than one flash, you have to go manual.

I don't know about the Sigma, but the AF-540 can act as a "normal" optical slave in addition to as a wireless P-TTL slave. It has auto and manual capabilities too. I believe the Sigma only does TTL and Auto. The onboard flash can ONLY do P-TTL.

My usual two-flash setup is:
Cactus trigger transmitter on flash
Cactus receiver attached to Vivitar 285HV in manual mode
AF-540 set as a normal optical slave in manual mode

I can also add a third flash using another Cactus receiver and an old Quantaray QTB-9500A.
05-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
I believe some third-party units can only act as slave but not master.
The Metz 48 AF-1 fits that. (It also has no non-PTTL auto mode.) The Metz 58 AF-1, though, can do it all.
05-22-2008, 03:51 AM   #4
hll

Original Poster
hmm, sorry but i think i didn't understand everything you said.
let's think i don't use my triggers or cable and built-in flash, without them can i use af540 or sigma 530 super as off camera flashes????

05-22-2008, 04:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hll Quote
let's think i don't use my triggers or cable and built-in flash, without them can i use af540 or sigma 530 super as off camera flashes????
Yes. Or the Metz 48/58 AF-1.
05-22-2008, 05:23 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hmm, sorry but i think i didn't understand everything you said.
Not sure about the sigma but the 540 definitely will work but you require the 1.30 firmware update on the K10D - you then set the camera to wireless flash and it will show a channel on the LCD screen (mine is usually channel 1) - you then make sure that the flash is set to the same channel and folow the instructions in the manual
05-22-2008, 06:08 AM   #7
and
Veteran Member

i know pentax af 540 has wireless feature.
must i use the pop up flash to synchronize them? i am a k10d user and use my sunpak's with ebay triggers.
is it possible to synchronize k10d with any flash (which has wireless feature like 540 or sigma 530) without using the built-in flash???
may you elaborate about the wireless feature of the flashs like 540 or sigma 530??? are they usable with ebay triggers????
thanks
The 540 has 2 wireless modes:

1. Pentax Wireless: You must use the pop up flash, or a 360/540 flash that is on the camera, to trigger the off camera flash. However the pop up flash does not need to affect the exposure, if can be set in the custom settings to only trigger the flash using preflash, not actually fire during the exposure.

2. Optical slave: Any burst of light will trigger the flash. The pop up flash can not be used to trigger it in this mode, because the p-ttl preflash from the pop up flash will trigger the 540 too early. But if you use a radio trigger to trigger a sunpak flash as you say, then the sunpak flash will be in manual mode and you can use that flash to trigger the 540.

You switch between the two wireless modes by pressing and holding the light button and then toggeling with the center of the adjustment dial.

05-22-2008, 08:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fula6 Quote
Not sure about the sigma but the 540 definitely will work but you require the 1.30 firmware update on the K10D - you then set the camera to wireless flash and it will show a channel on the LCD screen (mine is usually channel 1) - you then make sure that the flash is set to the same channel and folow the instructions in the manual
It isn't mentioned in ANY documentation I have seen somewhere, but to change the camera channel, the procedure is something like this:

Mount flash to camera hotshoe.
Turn on flash but with power switch set to wireless
Turn on camera
Set channel on flash
Access the flash settings menu (K10D/K20D) by hitting Fn then Down. When you exit from the menu the camera's channel should now match the flash.
05-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
hll

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
The 540 has 2 wireless modes:

1. Pentax Wireless: You must use the pop up flash, or a 360/540 flash that is on the camera, to trigger the off camera flash. However the pop up flash does not need to affect the exposure, if can be set in the custom settings to only trigger the flash using preflash, not actually fire during the exposure.

2. Optical slave: Any burst of light will trigger the flash. The pop up flash can not be used to trigger it in this mode, because the p-ttl preflash from the pop up flash will trigger the 540 too early. But if you use a radio trigger to trigger a sunpak flash as you say, then the sunpak flash will be in manual mode and you can use that flash to trigger the 540.

You switch between the two wireless modes by pressing and holding the light button and then toggeling with the center of the adjustment dial.

i just thought that pop-up flash affect the exposure!!! it is good if it doesn't affect anything???

what about compability of 540, sigma 530 super and metz's with ebay triggers????
thanks
halil
05-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
and
Veteran Member

In the custom settings, the last setting is called
"Flash in Wireless Mode"

And can be set to "on" or "off" if it is set to "off" then the pop up flash does not affect exposure. It will fire in order to trigger the remote flashes, but this happens before the exposure.

sigma and metz flashes can be used in pentax wirelss mode if they are the right models, not all of sigma and metz models support this, I am not sure which ones do and which ones dont.

If you use ebay triggers then you cannot use pentax wireless, meaning you cannot use pttl and your exposure will be manual. I dont know which of the metz and sigma models have built in optical slaves but the 540 does so lets say there is an ebay trigger on the camera, and the other end of that is connected to a sigma flash which is on manual, then the 540 can be optically triggered by that sigma flash.
05-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
It will fire in order to trigger the remote flashes, but this happens before the exposure.
Not quite true. It happens during exposure, but the camera dials this final "pop" to minimum power to minimize the effect on exposure. In almost all shooting situations it will not have any visible effect on the photo, except:
1) Sometimes you can see catchlights from the onboard in someone's eyes
2) If shooting into a mirror you will see the flash lit

As everyone else has said, if you use the ebay triggers, you will have to use all of your flashes in manual mode instead of TTL. The only RF triggers that support wireless TTL are the RadioPoppers, and these have not been tested with Pentax P-TTL yet to my knowledge.
09-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have a question. The K200D says it has wireless flash ability so I assume this is in line with what you guys got for the K10D/K20D.

Now if I use a manual lens (no A setting/electrical contacts), will I still be able to wirelessly slave a 360? and if so, could I adjust the power level on that 360?