Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #16
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
fwiw, metz declared bankruptcy last month... just a heads-up.

12-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
fwiw, metz declared bankruptcy last month... just a heads-up.
Not quite. they are not closing shop or anything like that, yet at least. They did file for whatever it is they do in Germany, to restructure and consolidate their debt.
12-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #18
osv
Veteran Member

i hope that they hang in there, but it's been ongoing for a year now.
German TV maker Metz files for insolvency | Reuters

i always wanted a metz flash, it's quality gear.

there is a new nissan i40 out, it's fairly compact and hss-capable, but i couldn't find it in a pentax mount.
12-13-2014, 04:40 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
A used Pentax 540 FGZ at KEH.com for $218, includes 6 month warranty. Then get a pair of Cactus V6 Transceivers for $70 and you can control power setting remotely

Or

Go all manual with a new Yongnou 560 III with a Transceiver at Amazon for $90 Add remote power control with a Yongnou YN560-TX LCD Flash Trigger Remote Controller for $44. You can add & control more 560 III flashes for $71 each.

I used two 560 III's with a transceiver on a K5IIs for Santa last Saturday: Ole Time Winterfest Pictures with Santa
I also went with the yongnuo 560 III and 560 TX. Bought the TX from eBay for less than $30 and 3 YN 560 III flashes from Amazon warehouse deals at $61 ea, total was less than $215 including tax and shipping.

For the price it has to be the best system out there.

12-26-2014, 05:22 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Go all manual with a new Yongnou 560 III with a Transceiver at Amazon for $90 Add remote power control with a Yongnou YN560-TX LCD Flash Trigger Remote Controller for $44. You can add & control more 560 III flashes for $71 each.
Stupid question: what does that mean "go manual" in the case of flash?

And another question. I have old promatic TCL2450 flash, untested, one battery contact is a bit corroded, but easy to remove. In case it's working flash, can I use it as a second flash and with cactus transceiver?

And last question Should I buy light meter to understand better how flash-ambient light work together?

---------- Post added 12-26-14 at 05:58 AM ----------

And one more
Do I understand correctly that YN560 IV will work on any camera system (so, I use the same flash for Pentax/Canon), and also saves money for transceiver? If so, it's just super economical set up.
http://www.amazon.com/YN560-IV-YN-560IV-Speedlite-Panasonic/dp/B00PGTOX26/re...pr_product_top

Last edited by micromacro; 12-26-2014 at 05:31 AM.
12-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #21
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
what does that mean "go manual" in the case of flash?
The flash is set to manual mode. It's zoom and power level are selected manually. There is no communication with the camera. It is the same as holding the flash in your hand while the camera is in a different zip code.
12-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Stupid question: what does that mean "go manual" in the case of flash?
It means there is no automatic exposure support, i.e., the flash power will be set by yourself, the camera does not assist (which is a good thing in most situations!).

. I have old promatic TCL2450 flash, untested, one battery contact is a bit corroded, but easy to remove. In case it's working flash, can I use it as a second flash and with cactus transceiver?
I couldn't find any information about that flash. As long as it does not have negative polarity, you can fire it with the V5 and V6. If it has a TTL mode, you may be able to remote control its power using V6 triggers.

And last question Should I buy light meter to understand better how flash-ambient light work together?
I don't think you need a light meter. They were most important in film days, but nowadays you can simply check your light levels by doing a couple of test shots. There are still a few applications for lightmeters, but I'd say they are rather specific and if you don't know about them, you don't need a lightmeter.

Do I understand correctly that YN560 IV will work on any camera system (so, I use the same flash for Pentax/Canon), and also saves money for transceiver?
Yes, any camera system can fire the YN560-IV.

However, there is only one trigger that can remote control its power and I don't think the YN560-TX is as good as the Cactus V6. I wrote a comparison between the YN560-III and the Cactus RF60 and while that was before the YN560-TX was revealed, it may still give you some hints, in particular, if you read up about the YN560-TX elsewhere. Just be mindful that some sites like TruthHavoc (its real name is "FlashHavoc") try hard to appear impartial, but the information is presented in biased ways, exaggerating in one case, leaving out information in another whenever convenient, censoring comments, etc. Treat it as one source of information as opposed to gospel, and you'll be fine.

12-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Class A, thanks. Special thanks for your review on Cactus RF60 I read today. Now I'm torn between RF60 with V6 and newest YN560-IV. And YN560-TX.
I'm not in rush until I understand at least the basics. It's totally unknown territory, a bit hard to comprehend how all that flash gear works.
12-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Class A, thanks.
You are welcome.

It's totally unknown territory, a bit hard to comprehend how all that flash gear works.
You'll find a number of videos on the RF60 and the YN560-III/IV on youtube. Sometimes they can help to get a feel of what is involved.
01-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #25

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
That Metz 52 AF-1 has a $60 rebate available till the end of the year, so it $169 after the rebate from B&H or Adorama.
I have this flash too and it is worth the money. I love this flash.

I have a cheap Yongnuo 560 iii. I bought first to see if I like using flashes. Since the Yongnuo was all Manual I learned more using it. BUT the thing did not last long. It will not shoot when On the Hot Shoe. SO I use it as a slave. It is a great Slave flash. These are not well made and do not last long. But while they work they are great. But even now I like having it as a slave. You get what you pay for.