Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Flash automation issues.

ok, so I've never really been one for flash photography since I've never really owned a decent flash.

In my travels I now have 3 of them, they are:

Pentax AF160
Sunpak Auto321
Sigma EF530DGST

They are used on an *istDS

Anyway, when the flashes are pointed straight ahead they all expose fairly well, however, when using the bounce option (not on the AF160 since it's fixed position) I have noticed that the Sunpak tends to be more consistant in exposures than the Sigma....

So I'm curious, what is the benefit of P-TTL?
Is it purely the ability to use any Aperture setting (letting the flash deal with the power levels/speed) or are there other benefits to P-TTL flashes?

Basically what I'm getting at is that I've been disappointed all the time with the Sigma P-TTL flash, is it actually crap, or am I using it wrong?

12-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #2

I hope it isn't crap. I just ordered one yesterday
12-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The *istDS is TTL, as is the SunPak 321. Does the *istDS also do P-TTL?
The Sigma EF-530 DG is P-TTL. Does it also do TTL for older Pentax cameras?
12-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I never had an *istDS and as the previous post mentioned, I think it is the one camera that is TTL and not P-TTL.

That being said, most subsequent Pentax camera bodies have not been great with external flashes and P-TTL. I know that with my K10d and K5, I could not get consistent results with PTTL flashes, especially when trying to bounce the flash. It isn't to say I couldn't make it work, but I had to develop rules of thumb for exposure and flash compensation. I also found that using Auto or Manual mode on my flashes with easier than TTL or PTTL. You might try Auto or Manual mode on your flash to see how it goes (if it has one)

12-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The istDS can do TTL and PTTL.
12-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
The istDS can do TTL and PTTL.
Ah but does a 3rd party flash know that and is it capable of switching itself and the body into correct modes ?

I doubt the 530 has ever been tested on a ds
12-18-2014, 05:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I believe the 530 is a PTTL only flash, so that is how the istDS will use it. If you buy a old TTL flash it will work with the istDS. I am not sure which mode a Pentax 540 would use since it can do TTL and PTTL.
12-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will add that today I used the Sigma flash agian, and found I got more consistant results.

The big change was that I was using the camera in Shutter priority this time, where previously I had been using it in aperture priority (apparently PTTL doesnt work properly in Av mode or something?)

Granted, today's photos were a fairly easy shoot, so it may not have been the mode change, it may have been more the user (me) doing a better job.