Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How does flash awakening work?

I have seen many threads where it is discussed that if a flash trigger has a choice between a Nikon version and a Canon version, that Pentax users should buy the Nikon version, because they have the right pins on them for getting Pentax flashes out of sleep mode. When this is said, is it talking about the part of the trigger that fits in the camera hot shoe, or the hot shoe on the trigger that the flash sits in? Thanks.

12-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
I have seen many threads where it is discussed that if a flash trigger has a choice between a Nikon version and a Canon version, that Pentax users should buy the Nikon version, because they have the right pins on them for getting Pentax flashes out of sleep mode. When this is said, is it talking about the part of the trigger that fits in the camera hot shoe, or the hot shoe on the trigger that the flash sits in? Thanks.
You can decide which. Here's what they look like. On my K5IIs and k5 bodies, only the Nikon version works. From my perspective, the pins on the Canon version don't mate to the Pentax hot shoe contacts.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 11-05-2015 at 09:37 PM.
12-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for posting that picture! That seems to make it clear that the foot that goes on the camera is different between models, but on top of the tranceiver, where the flash mounts, they look the same. So, is the wakeup signal sent from the receiver to the flash via the center pin? I also take that to mean that the only trancevier where the Nikon or Canon version matters is the one in the hotshoe?

Last edited by jake14mw; 12-11-2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: misspelling
12-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Thanks for posting that picture! That seems to make it clear that the foot that goes on the camera is different between models, but on top of the tranceiver, where the flash mounts, they look the same. So, is the wakeup signal sent from the receiver to the flash via the center pin? I also take that to mean that the only trancevier where the Nikon of Canon version matters is the one in the hotshoe?
Don't know. The Nikon version works, the Canon didn't. If I piggy back a NPT-04 trigger in the Yongnou transceiver hotshoe, that works, the firing signal passes through. Which means I can also use my Buff Cyber Commander.