Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 05:21 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Need help identifying Sunpak sync cord

I got this cord off eBay, thinking it was a standard sync cord, but found an unusual connector when it arrived. I have no use for this cord, as it does not seem to fit any of the Sunpak 522 accessories I own, but I am still curious. One end seems to be the standard female sync connector, that in fact connects perfectly to the sync outlet on the body of my Pentax cameras (K-3, K-5, K-7, etc.) The other end is something I have never before seen. As shown in accompanying photo, it seems to be a standard U.S. household electric plug but with also a round male stud connector between the two prongs. Can anyone identify this cord connector for me?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-11-2014, 05:48 AM   #2

Looks just like the one that fits my Sunpak 555.
12-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jwd722 Quote
Looks just like the one that fits my Sunpak 555.
That is very interesting to know. Can you go the next step and tell me where/what it fits on to on the 555? Does it connect the body of the 555 to a camera? Thanks.
12-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used to have a 522 and later a 622 (no longer do so this is from memory), and I believe that where the 522 used a mini phono plug on the side of the flash for the PC cord the 622 (as well as the 555 and probably others) had a three prong plug similar to a standard wall outlet connection (although the prongs were inline). I know that the flashes used different PC cords. The one you have looks like it was for the later model flashes and it was in the wrong box.

12-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
That is very interesting to know. Can you go the next step and tell me where/what it fits on to on the 555? Does it connect the body of the 555 to a camera? Thanks.
The three prong plug plugs into the side of the flash and the other plugs into the pc sync port on the camera. I would include a picture but I'm at work and it's at home.
12-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jwd722 Quote
The three prong plug plugs into the side of the flash and the other plugs into the pc sync port on the camera. I would include a picture but I'm at work and it's at home.
Thanks a lot. I think it is just in wrong box.
12-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Sunpak 611 uses this cord.

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
it seems to be a standard U.S. household electric plug but with also a round male stud connector between the two prongs.
The "round male stud" is only a safety device so that the cord can't be accidentally plugged in a 120V outlet.
12-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the assistance!

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Sunpak 611 uses this cord.

The "round male stud" is only a safety device so that the cord can't be accidentally plugged in a 120V outlet.
Thanks everyone. Yes, you have all nailed it. The cord does not fit Sunpak 522, but does fit several other Sunpak flashes. It was an honest mistake by the seller in believing that what was in the box was what was described on the box. They buyer has issued a complete refund, and declined to receive the cord back. Please let me know if anyone of you need this cable, and I will send it out to you.

This is just another reason why I treasure the Pentax Forum. It is almost always possible to get quick assistance and either expand knowledge or multiply ignorance. :>)

As an aside, I sure find these old Sunpaks to be a useful accessory--huge guide numbers, very accurate thyristor flash, and low cost. There seems to be some difference of opinion regarding their voltage safety for digital cameras, and I have located contradictory voltage test results. However, I have used them for a long time with my legacy and now fairly low-priced K-20 and K-7 without experiencing any problems. I am using them generally with the RS-005 Remote Sensor, which I have read corrects the voltage to a safe level. I am not using them with the K-5ii or K-3, and instead use AF-360FGZ P-TTL flash or the AF-500FTZ TTL on strobe frame with these two cameras. When I am able to locate one more of those Sunpak Slave Units for the 522, I will be able to use two of the 522s as off-camera flash even with the newer and more valuable cameras.