Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #1

Camera settings with Vivitar 383

I have a K10D and have limped along for 7 years using only the flash on the camera body. I just splurged & got a Vivitar 383 flashgun but I can't find anything, anywhere, in any documentation, regarding what camera setting to use with it. I've tried it on the "green rectangle" setting, as well as the Av setting. I've gotten OK results with either setting but still wonder if I'm doing it right. I'm just a casual photographer, so I don't want the flash to do anything fancy. Can anyone help?

12-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With flash its always an experiment thing. You can go with manual mode on camera...and set iso 100-400. Aperture try at 5.6 and shutter speed 1/30-1/80 depending on ambient light and the effects you're trying to achieve. I believe its a swivel and bounce flash unit. So better bounce it off a wall. Also set the Ev of the flash on camera to limit your flash power. Hope this helps.

Last edited by xanis; 12-13-2014 at 03:35 PM.
12-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If you have the model for Pentax TTL it should work in all the exposure modes when the flash is set to TTL mode.
12-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #4

Original Poster
From what I remember of using my old flash, (which looked almost identical to this current unit), I DID do a lot of experimentation. The camera was SUPPOSED to be automatic (Pentax ME Super), though I think I just used it as an aperture-priority camera that set the shutter based on where the user set the f-stop. Maybe that's what "automatic" meant, I can't remember now. I wasn't aware that this flash automatically followed what you set on the camera, no matter what settings you used. I mean, I knew the flash follows your settings on the camera, I just didn't know what settings to USE on the camera. Thanks for that info.

Also, thanks for the suggestion to go with manual mode. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how to use the camera (even though it's several years old). In the olden days of film cameras, I didn't need to "worry" about ISO settings b/c you set it once and there it stayed 'til you ran out of film and put in a new roll. Also, my ME Super had much more range in aperture control because it could be set all the way down to f1.4 instead of only being able to go 3.5. I'm in my 60's now and think I'm going to need to stay above a shutter speed of 60 to minimize shake when I depress the shutter button. Also, I'm going to have a problem working with an extra wrinkle (Ev); I can tell that already. That, and the concept of "Program Line", are going to take me time to learn. Oh well, S. O. C. K. S., I guess. I'll probably just drift around the forum looking for threads that explain those concepts. Thanks again for clarifying things.

Last edited by GridUser; 12-14-2014 at 10:42 AM.
12-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Wait, is the flash unit P-TTL or just TTL for Pentax. TTL is not supported on the Pentax K10D or newer. It is on some of the *istD models. P-TTL does a pre-flash and measures the light that way,. TTL reads the light coming in and shuts off the flash when the proper exposure it made.

A TTL flash on K10D will only work in manual mode or in auto sensor mode if the flash has a sensor on it. It should set the shutter speed to flash sync speed. That's about it.

I might be wrong but I think a P-TTL flash has 4 pins on the foot while TTL will has only 3

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/99153-difference...l-flash-2.html.

Last edited by Not a Number; 12-14-2014 at 09:43 PM.
12-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Wait, is the flash unit P-TTL or just TTL for Pentax. TTL is not supported on the Pentax K10D or newer. It is on some of the *istD models. P-TTL does a pre-flash and measures the light that way,. TTL reads the light coming in and shuts off the flash when the proper exposure it made.

A TTL flash on K10D will only work in manual mode or in auto sensor mode if the flash has a sensor on it. It should set the shutter speed to flash sync speed. That's about it.

I might be wrong but I think a P-TTL flash has 4 pins on the foot while TTL will has only 3

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/99153-difference...l-flash-2.html.
I checked the box the flash came in and there's a sticker on it that says: Fits Pentax P-TTL cameras. I don't know if it just means it will fit ON the camera (physically), or if it will fit and work properly in P-TTL metering mode. That's because the features listed on the box (not on a sticker) say that the flash has "Auto Focus / TTL Metering". I think the guy I talked to at B&H said the flash will take advantage of the TTL on my K10D, but now I wonder. I looked at the base of the flash, as you suggested, and it has 4 pins. Three of them form a triangle of sorts, while the 4th is a bit farther away. I'd upload a picture, but I don't have any idea how to do that from my phone camera.

If, for some reason, the flash only supports TTL metering and the K10D doesn't provide it, what does that mean for using the flash? What settings should I use on the camera, and TTL or Manual mode on the flash? When I choose M mode on the flash, and then keep pushing that button a few more times, it cycles thru choices like 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 before going back to TTL. The two pages in the Vivitar documentation about this are not a bit helpful.
12-16-2014, 04:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GridUser Quote
If, for some reason, the flash only supports TTL metering and the K10D doesn't provide it, what does that mean for using the flash?
It's possible the flash isn't fully compatible with the K10D but may work on other Pentax bodies. What revision of firmware is on your K10D? The latest might help.

The Vivitar 383 is probably a rebadged Tumax unit. You can read about the various Tumax models and compatibility problems on this webpage:
The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

It appears the Vivitar DF-383 is this model:
Tumax DPT386AFZ / Vivitar DF-383 / Cactus AF45

If it is not compatible you probably need to use manual flash techniques which is fairly straight forward mathematics: Divide the Guide Number of the flash by the flash to subject distance gives you the f-stop to use. Modified by ISO and/or flash power settings.

Last edited by Not a Number; 12-16-2014 at 04:56 AM.