Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #1

Will using canon flash?

It used to be the case if you used different brand flashes would damage your camera. Don't want to have an expensive accident. I have ex580 flash for my canon dslr. Will using it on my k-3 hurt my new camera?

12-13-2014, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob wright Quote
It used to be the case if you used different brand flashes would damage your camera. Don't want to have an expensive accident. I have ex580 flash for my canon dslr. Will using it on my k-3 hurt my new camera?
I doubt you would have a problem. I use my triopo Nikon on my k5 with no problem you will just have to figure out your manual settings since it doesn't no how to talk to the Pentax.
12-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Contemporary canon flashes use a 5.5v trigger signal, well within the capabilities of a pentax DSLR. However do not expect any TTL flash control, Only pentax specific flashes can provide this.
12-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
However do not expect any TTL flash control, Only pentax specific flashes can provide this.
Yep...and take care to never mount the Canon flash backwards on your camera. The flash reportedly has a pin that will drop into a hole on the Pentax camera resulting in a semi-permanent attachment.

OTOH, wouldn't it be easier to simply pick up a cheap speedlight? You would get the same functionality.

Steve

12-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Caution! ALL modern TTL Canon flashes have 5 pins, and whether you mount it forwards or backwards there is a danger that the one pin that Pentax mounts leave blank will cause a jam. Now some flashes, like my Nissin Di866 have triangle shaped pins which are not susceptible to jamming. Examine your pins carefully. Don't use it if your flash has pins that are not well radiused or otherwise jam proof.

Last edited by jbondo; 12-14-2014 at 08:07 AM.
12-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
Cool, thanks for the replies. I'll check my pins. I'm going to get As pentax flash, probably next year. Just can't afford after being the new body and lens. Helpful advice here.
12-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can also get some weird behavior as not all cameras use center pin firing for x-ttl

It conceivable you could get random firing (not synced) and also incorrect levels even if your flash supports auto/maual