Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2008, 01:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
AF360 cactus v2 k100d problem

ive seen a thread similar to this problem but i didnt get what was going on

so i have the cactus wireless trigger from ebay, af360 and a k100d
the receiver is on the af360 and the transmitter is on the k100d hotshoe.

for some odd reason it fires late for every mode im in (on the flash)

when i press the test button, the flash fires on time, but when i take a picture it flashes like half a second late.

people said that it should work at 1/30 and it does.

but i cant live with that!!!! someone help or else im switching to canon!!!!

jk. seriously though, whhy is this?

05-24-2008, 02:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Cactus triggers aren't the best wireless options on the market. They might have some sync issues.
05-24-2008, 04:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
oh i see...sigh. but i guess it isnt fond of pentax cuz it works on my friends canon rawr.
05-24-2008, 05:18 AM   #4

My V2s works fine with Pentax and there are plenty of people out there using Cactus triggers with all different Pentax cameras. It's possible that your set is faulty - the QC on these isn't great.

Are you sure you haven't activated some obscure setting on the flash? I'm not sure what could cause this but modern flashes have a whole host of sync modes that could conceivably be the issue. I would suspect a faulty transmitter though since you say it works fine with the test button.

Matthew

05-24-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
Not Registered

Make sure that the channels of the transmitter and receiver are the same. Put the camera in M mode, set the shutter speed to 1/160. Then put the flash in M and set the power of the flash to your likes. Shoot. The flash will not work in P-TTL off camera with a K100d and cactus triggers. Hope it helps.
05-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #6

Original Poster
hmm let me try that.

still no good. heh.

right now my settings are set to

shutter: 30
ap: 9.0

i guess its a good thing because i use less energy for the flash and most things will be focused

flickr.com/photos/rapphaelray

thanks for the help though guys.
05-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #7

I'm having the same problem. It seems like more of a flash issue. It won't sync above 1/30 for some reason. My sunpak 383 syncs at 1/180 just fine on the same trigger. Is there some setting on the flash that we're not setting?? I also have the af360 but a k10d.

05-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After posting for responses here and on 2 other boards regarding the v2's vs several other wireless triggers. This issue came up a few times. It's not a flash or camera issue but as stated above, a QC issue with these wireless triggers. I decided on the FlashWaves and they are more money but solidly reliable with 4 different models of flashes (including 2 AF360's) that I have. Used them a lot this weekend with not one problem. I'd suggest you send the transmistter back or the entire kit and get them replaced.
05-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #9

Well if my Sunpak 383 triggers just fine with the same exact trigger then obviously the AF360 requires something else for it to trigger correctly...my question is what?
05-27-2008, 04:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Perhaps AF360FGZ is set to rear curtain.
05-27-2008, 04:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Perhaps AF360FGZ is set to rear curtain.

I was thinking the same thing, but I doubt that's what's causing it.

I do hope I'm wrong, though.
05-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qh187 Quote
Well if my Sunpak 383 triggers just fine with the same exact trigger then obviously the AF360 requires something else for it to trigger correctly...my question is what?
Is it a V2 or V2s unit?

The AF360 and AF540 have EXTREMELY low trigger voltages (I've seen some claims of 3.3 volts), so they require the V2s unit just like the new low-trigger-voltage Vivitar 285HV units do.

I have one V2s and three "vanilla" V2 units. The V2s reliably triggers my AF-540 and 285HV, the "vanilla" V2 units cannot trigger either strobe.

There are modification instructions somewhere for how to allow a "vanilla" V2 unit to operate with low-voltage strobes - the basic idea is:
1) Make sure the sync connectors are wired with the correct polarity, some aren't. This usually doesn't matter but it does once you perform step 2)
2) There's a bridge rectifier on the back of the board that needs to be bypassed.

I don't have the link offhand, may be able to find one including photos of the mods tonight.
05-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Is it a V2 or V2s unit?

The AF360 and AF540 have EXTREMELY low trigger voltages (I've seen some claims of 3.3 volts), so they require the V2s unit just like the new low-trigger-voltage Vivitar 285HV units do.

I have one V2s and three "vanilla" V2 units. The V2s reliably triggers my AF-540 and 285HV, the "vanilla" V2 units cannot trigger either strobe.

There are modification instructions somewhere for how to allow a "vanilla" V2 unit to operate with low-voltage strobes - the basic idea is:
1) Make sure the sync connectors are wired with the correct polarity, some aren't. This usually doesn't matter but it does once you perform step 2)
2) There's a bridge rectifier on the back of the board that needs to be bypassed.

I don't have the link offhand, may be able to find one including photos of the mods tonight.
what's the difference between the V2 and V2s?

If you could post the link it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
05-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qh187 Quote
what's the difference between the V2 and V2s?

If you could post the link it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: 4-Channel Wireless Flash Receiver V2s - $3 more and specifically designed for low trigger voltage cameras, with the Pentax P-TTL units specifically listed.

I'm not sure what the exact internal differences are. The Cactus receivers are very difficult to disassemble (compared to the transmitters) and all of my V2 units were bought used, modified, and gooped up internally with epoxy. They may have redesigned it to allow reliable operation even with a bridge rectifier, or they may have done the same change that people are doing to mod their old V2 units after the fact - bypass the bridge rectifier.

Edit: Note that your switching to Canon threat isn't valid, as most of the new Canon Speedlites need the V2s receivers too.
05-31-2008, 08:05 AM   #15

^ hey do you have a link to the trigger modification? I tried looking for it but could not find it. Thanks.