Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #1

Yongnuo question...

I've been looking into buying an off-camera flash for the first time and I'm thinking about Yongnuo. They have the new YN560-IV which has a radio built in that allows you to remotely change the manual settings on it when paired with the YN560-TX if I understand correctly. My questions are: 1. Since this is a manual flash and the YN560-TX manual radio trigger is what you use to change the settings on the flash, it will be compatible with any camera, correct? I would be using it with the K-3. 2. Would this be a good value/quality flash as a first? 3. Does anybody have any experience with either the two YN products listed mentioned or any other YN products? If so what are your thoughts on the quality/value?

12-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The mkIII has an integrated radio receiver, meaning you can use a 560TX on camera and set the flash with that.
The mkIV has an integrated radio receiver and transmitter, meaning that you can use one on camera to command a mkIII or another mkIV. If you don't need the flash on camera to fire, then you'll save money with a mkIII + transmitter.

1. Correct. No HSS nor P-TTL though, only manual operation
2. Yes if you don't mind the above. I don't care for HSS since I'd use it only rarely and you can still pop an ND filter and be done with it. Settings to use become second nature after a while so I don't miss P-TTL either.
3. Yes, the YN560III, which is very solid and well-built. Batteries are 4AA which last quite a while, it's feature-rich (versatile swivel & tilt settings, white card, diffuser screen), operation is easy, bang-for-bucks is off the chart.

Last edited by LensBeginner; 12-17-2014 at 09:05 AM.
12-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
So best choice would be to get the III and a transmitter instead of the IV and transmitter? My understanding was that with the YN560-TX you could change the settings on the IV but it would only trigger the III and you would still have to change the settings on the flash itself. Is this not the case?

Thanks for the quick response!
12-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Johnboyas Quote
So best choice would be to get the III and a transmitter instead of the IV and transmitter? My understanding was that with the YN560-TX you could change the settings on the IV but it would only trigger the III and you would still have to change the settings on the flash itself. Is this not the case?
Mmmh... it's the first time I hear that... unfortunately I can't check as I don't have a TX unit...

Edit: I don't think it's the case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEkd0gPlEXI&feature=player_detailpage#t=275
Where did you get that info?

Last edited by LensBeginner; 12-17-2014 at 09:25 AM.
12-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
I'm completely new to flash so it's very possible that I'm misunderstanding, it's pretty hard to understand the specs and information on the YN products as the English isn't so good sometimes. Thanks for the help anyway!
12-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm completely new to flash so it's very possible that I'm misunderstanding, it's pretty hard to understand the specs and information on the YN products as the English isn't so good sometimes. Thanks for the help anyway!
At any rate:
1. get a second opinion
2. the mkIII and the mkIV price isn't too different, at least where I live. Check whether it's significant and if it is best to future-proof your system in case you liked to add another flash in the future (thus buying a mkIV and a 560TX now). Whatever work best for you.
3. The mkIV can act as a trigger, true, but I suspect that the information on flashes and groups are displayed on a single line, which is inconvenient when compared to the three-line display of the 560TX.
12-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
So after reading some more it appears that you can actually change the settings on the III as well as the IV when using the YN560-TX.
12-17-2014, 10:32 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So after reading some more it appears that you can actually change the settings on the III as well as the IV when using the YN560-TX.
Yes that is correct. I think Lens Beginner has pretty much covered everything but I would add that if you are looking at comparing control functions the stand alone controller YN-560TX does 6 Groups whilst the Flash & controller YN-560 IV does 3 Groups.
I current own 4 x YN560III, 1 x YN-560-TX, 1 x YN560 and 2 x RF603II.
IMHO build quality of the present gear is light years ahead of the first units ( I'm talking " have to put ali foil under the contacts for it to work - must be beta units") from Yongnuo.

Last edited by ak_kiwi; 12-17-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Typo..
12-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

You meant 6 vs 3 groups? your hand musta slipped...
12-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
You meant 6 vs 3 groups? your hand musta slipped..
Ta,
(Must remember coffee first, glasses, then typing...)
12-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #11

Thanks for the quick response!
I've got 3 560 III Flashes and the 560-TX you can make any and all the adjustments from the 560-tx.
12-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a little late here, but I have the 560-TX, two 560 iii, and a 560 iv. VERY satisfied with the setup. I love the size and readability of the LCDs.