Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can't use strobes, your next option should be fluorescent bulbs. You will have to pay more for bulbs with greater than 90% coverage of the colour spectrum, but they don't need modifiers to diffuse the light and they are almost as energy efficient as LED (so no heat problems).

12-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
If you're serious about your color, those are all a bad idea - particularly the LEDs. But if you're just playing around on a budget, they may be OK.

LEDs have a notoriously poor color spectrum/response - especially in low-cost, general purpose consumer lights. Halogens are much better, but even there it's preferable to have higher grade ones. And of course they have the potential heat problems others have mentioned.

Agreed - ultimately, strobes are the better value for serious work. But of course your costs to get started are significantly higher. I use these, which are the best value around, IMO Paul C. Buff - Einstein E640 although they also have a less expensive (and less powerful) entry model Paul C. Buff - AlienBees B400.
Even $225 is beyond my budget for this gear. Especially since I am planning on using money I am getting in rebates from this store that I can only use at this store. What I also found by going to the store was this:

http://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=370-3833

And it is only $90 in the store.

I am in no big rush to buy this stuff, I am just exploring options for dirt cheap lighting in a home studio.
12-21-2014, 01:33 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
If you can't use strobes, your next option should be fluorescent bulbs. You will have to pay more for bulbs with greater than 90% coverage of the colour spectrum, but they don't need modifiers to diffuse the light and they are almost as energy efficient as LED (so no heat problems).
This is true. B&H has a pretty good selection, for example, and some of them are specifically made for photography.
12-21-2014, 04:13 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

It's possible to get pretty good soft LED lights these days with a switch or modifier for daylight and tungsten outputs, but remember they're pretty weak. They'll have to be very close to the subject.

12-21-2014, 05:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Work lights have dimpled insides and give a word cast shine on a plain wall and you will see what I mean
12-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #21
bmw

Just to play devil's advocate here for one second: work lights are hard to work with for all the reasons given above -- heat most of all -- but in fact lots of budding videographers use them all the time and they can be used if you are willing to get creative. After all, light is light, no matter how expensive the source.

Since you can't put them in softboxes or attach diffusers to them, the trick is to reflect the light. Eg point up and bounce off a white ceiling, or behind off a white wall. Or you can do what I did one time for a fashion shoot and point them at a cheap silver reflector mounted up on a light stand.

Check out these shots ...

All done using a forty dollar 500 watt work light with two 250 watt heads. I pointed one at the silver reflector, the other at a silver umbrella (they were what I had) both mounted on inexpensive stands. I adjusted the angles until I got the light aimed at the model, then started shooting. I shot a grey card to use later in post for WB correction.

Note that the colours in the shots have been adjusted in post for a fashion look, and there was daylight from the store windows coming into the set at 90 degrees from where I was shooting so there was significant blue tinges in reflective surfaces (which I didn't mind as it added to the effect).

So if your budget can only handle two-digit numbers, don't let 'em tell you it can't be done.
12-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bmw Quote
Just to play devil's advocate here for one second: work lights are hard to work with for all the reasons given above -- heat most of all -- but in fact lots of budding videographers use them all the time and they can be used if you are willing to get creative. After all, light is light, no matter how expensive the source.

Since you can't put them in softboxes or attach diffusers to them, the trick is to reflect the light. Eg point up and bounce off a white ceiling, or behind off a white wall. Or you can do what I did one time for a fashion shoot and point them at a cheap silver reflector mounted up on a light stand.

Check out these shots ...

All done using a forty dollar 500 watt work light with two 250 watt heads. I pointed one at the silver reflector, the other at a silver umbrella (they were what I had) both mounted on inexpensive stands. I adjusted the angles until I got the light aimed at the model, then started shooting. I shot a grey card to use later in post for WB correction.

Note that the colours in the shots have been adjusted in post for a fashion look, and there was daylight from the store windows coming into the set at 90 degrees from where I was shooting so there was significant blue tinges in reflective surfaces (which I didn't mind as it added to the effect).

So if your budget can only handle two-digit numbers, don't let 'em tell you it can't be done.
Nice work and thanks for the ideas.

12-23-2014, 06:07 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
I am thinking of getting some of those cheap halogen work lights. I also was looking at LED lights

Among my thoughts for LED lights were these:

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2398315-c-7546.htm

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2404411-c-7914.htm

Also, I was thinking of these halogen with different bulbs:

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2305264-c-7914.htm

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2305284-c-7546.htm

Any thoughts on any of these and what sort of bulb I might use with them to give a better temperature of light for photo work?

Thanks.

I own your last choice. I use it as a painting light. Quite harsh and very hot. Will warm a small room very quickly.

Unless you need the rugged case (the bulbs are still very fragile when hot) why would you not consider using a 5500K CFL bulb screwed into one of these cheap fixtures Shop Bayco 150-Watt Incandescent Portable Work Light at Lowes.com

Also I bought a couple of 24" table top tripods 5500K CFL stands and bulbs for less than $30 on Ebay. I combined those with some homemade screens built from cheap muslin and PVC pipe for a softer light (can upload some pics of the screens.